Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

whats happened to my colors??

kellen85040
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 16:29 |  #1

For some reason when i try to reopen my images in PS to do some more editing or correct something it looks like i took the saturation tool and turned it up all the way, especially on the red.... and it will not let me correct this... if i try to bring the saturation down it just turns the extreme color spots all the way to no color and I can not work on any of my images.... someone please help.

Thanks!

www.kpphotographyms.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 05, 2011 16:44 |  #2

Hmm, it's hard to say!

Could you post a Before and After shot that shows the difference?

Or, does the problem only show up in Photoshop? What happens if you Save As, an image copy -- does the problem also show up if you open it in another image viewer?

If it only shows up in Photoshop, then do a Screen shot of the Photoshop view and post it as your After! We need to see what you are talking about!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kellen85040
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 16:52 |  #3

yes it only happens in PS but makes it very difficult to work at all heres my screen shot:

original

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6219/6315863939_69ab833471.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …photographyms/6​315863939/  (external link)
Screen Shot 2011-11-05 at 4.49.27 PM (external link) by kellenporter (external link), on Flickr

when i open it after saving it in PS
IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6106/6316381726_ce231fb194.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …photographyms/6​316381726/  (external link)
Screen Shot 2011-11-05 at 4.49.33 PM (external link) by kellenporter (external link), on Flickr

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 05, 2011 16:57 |  #4

Is one of those "before" and one "after"? To really see the difference, try cutting out just the images and posting those at a large size (POTN limit is 1024 pixels at the "widest" dimension), clearly labeling which one is before and which is after, and explaining exactly what difference you are seeing. And, explain what if anything you did to the "before" pic before it came out looking different!

BTW, I'm not a Mac user and also I rarely work in Photoshop these days so I'll be of limited help, but at least I can keep you company until folks that can help more show up:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kellen85040
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 16:59 |  #5

it might just be my computer if you can't see it :/ the first one is before and the second one clearly looks different to me, the red are extremely saturated and come off of her face and body like a mist of red around her, the red have also taken out detail in her face. thanks though!

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 05, 2011 17:21 |  #6

I see the difference on the larger. Just curious as to why you're saving as png?

Just noticed the file names - check your color space as the png doesn't have one assigned.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

kellen85040
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 17:24 |  #7

i was always told that if you're just saving for the web to save as PNG is that wrong? if so how should i be saving?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 05, 2011 17:40 |  #8

Jpeg is more of a standard format.

Tony

kellen85040
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 17:47 |  #9

iv tried jpeg before but my colors always seemed to look washed out once i posted them online, I've never had a problem with colors using PNG

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 05, 2011 18:50 |  #10

Hmm...having "dull' jpegs typically means that they are in the aRGB color space. That can either come from a camera shooting jpegs in the aRGB color space or, if you shoot Raw, the Raw processor converts to a color space it is set to. You can change this in Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw, Digital Photo Professional (DPP) or whatever software you use.

So, at this point, please fill in some details! First, were these taken as jpegs, or did you shoot Raw?

And then, please walk through each thing you've done with the images from the camera into Photoshop -- some little detail can be the "missing link"!

And, check in your camera menu for the Color Space setting. Make sure it is sRGB for the "safest" setting.

Then, in Photoshop, take a suspect jpeg and go to Edit/Color Settings. In that dialog, you will see what Photoshop is using as your "Working Color Space". To make images "safe" for the Web, you can change that to sRGB unless you have reason to use another color space.

Check the "Warning" options in the dialog. You will need to decide how to handle images that aren't in the sRGB color space -- warn you but open them anyway, warn and convert them, etc.

Then when you are done with that dialog, close it and then open the Edit/Convert to Profile dialog.

Here, you will see what color space the image is in, and you will have the ability to Convert it to a proper profile (for Web use, sRGB). You should do this routinely with any images that are not already in sRGB for whatever reason. Or, in newer versions of Photoshop, the Save for Web dialog gives you the option of an automatic conversion.

I don't know anything about the PNG file format, so can't give any direct help there. But I am happy with the output from Photoshop, and haven't seen Photoshop doing a "saturation number" like you are describing.

So, there is another possible issue here, and that is the possibility that your monitor profile, which Photoshop uses, is having issues. If you have calibrated your monitor, you might want to do that again. If you haven't, well, you may want to investigate by playing a bit with your built-in profiles. But, since I don't use a Mac, I can't go beyond that!

Then, with the image open,

Tony

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 05, 2011 19:08 |  #11

PNG sucks. 'Nuff said. ;)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 05, 2011 19:09 |  #12

kellen85040 wrote in post #13358456 (external link)
i was always told that if you're just saving for the web to save as PNG is that wrong? if so how should i be saving?

I don't know about "wrong" nor do I know a whole lot about the png format. It's my understanding it is best for graphics and if you need transparency. There are 2 flavors - png8 and png24 which the png24 should be more suited for images. I stick with jpeg. I think your problem may be that your png does not have a color space embedded.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,492 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 05, 2011 19:21 |  #13

PNG format does not support an embedded color profile nor even Exif so there is not even a color space tag. If it was converted to PNG from an sRGB it would still be in that space although it would not carry identification. In non-color managed applications on a narrow gamut monitor it would display o.k., but a color managed program (like PS) might have problems with it, depending how the program is set up to react to images whose color space is unknown. The most common setup is to assume sRGB, but let's consider a scenario in which the source of the PNG is an Adobe RGB image or, even worse, a ProPhoto RGB image - the PNG would be in the original space but PS would assume sRGB. The result, display misery.

Elie / אלי

kellen85040
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 06, 2011 05:59 |  #14

thanks for the help guys, yes i always shoot raw and yes i use sRGB, I haven't done the working color space thing, just always "saved for web and devices" I will try everything out, yes i use png24, So is this happening to my colors because of saving as PNG? I will definitely start saving again in JPEG :)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 06, 2011 06:07 |  #15

The png does not have an embedded color profile. PS tells you so:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20080623-gewsfxk3p25a9hpas2nnn16a1u.medium.jpg

The fact that you did not get a pop up, warning you about this, also means that your PS color settings are less then optimal:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20081219-kmamrixpni8r7htkxiayy9wc55.medium.jpg

www.getcolormanaged.co​m/color-management/pscolorsett​ings/ (external link)

As to why use sRGB for web & about save for web:

www.getcolormanaged.co​m/color-management/saveforweb/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
whats happened to my colors??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.