Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery Power useage

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 06, 2011 10:21 |  #1

I have the 50D. Question: does the camera use more battery power to process the raw files when shooting raw compared to processing the jpeg? I am thankful I started shooting entirely raw but noticed that ever since I changed to shooting raw my battery dies in about 2 hours of shooting (bp-511a battery) and I have to change. My charger came with the camera which is about 2 years old and I never take the battery out of the charger until the charge light is fully lit and not flashing and the camera shows it fully charged.

Just trying to narrow down the problem of batteries going dead. When I first got the camera I shot raw sparingly and mostly shot jpeg. Could the raw processing and writing to the CF card (takes longer than jpeg) be the culprit?

Thanks for all responses.

sponsored links
MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 06, 2011 10:31 |  #2

With my old 50D I could take 600+ raw images per battery charge on a non IS lens. This would go down to 450 if I used an IS lens.

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 06, 2011 10:42 |  #3

Hummmm...Ok, I had taken between 100 to 200 and using an IS lens. I guess I could turn off the IS and that would give me more shots? But does the camera writing the raw images to the card use more battery power as compared to writing jpegs to the card? I have always used the IS feature but only when I started shooting totally raw have they started dieing.

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #13360832 (external link)
With my old 50D I could take 600+ raw images per battery charge on a non IS lens. This would go down to 450 if I used an IS lens.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 06, 2011 13:51 |  #4

At least for the Nikon D300, specifically the manual states (p. 415) that shooting in NEF (Nikon's RAW format) reduces battery life. The reason is simply not the production of a jpeg or a RAW file within the camera, but the writing of the much larger RAW file to the memory card.

In my Canon 60D manual, it kinds of hints at something similar, in that the "possible shots" for the best jpeg (filesize 6.4 MB) is about 490 whereas for the best RAW (24.5 MB)is 130. The chart does not go into what "possible shots" actually means.

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 06, 2011 14:40 |  #5

Over time the batteries lose capacity so you will get fewer shots as time progresses.

Other things that affect battery life:
- pop-up flash
- IS usage
- Autofocus
- excessive metering
- review time after shot setting
- sleep time-out
- leaving the rear LCD on
- live view
- possibly having the orientation sensor turned on
- uploading images through USB from the camera
- ambient temperature
etc.

Because there are so many factors, it is hard to generalize about how many shots is normal.

Photo Gear

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 08, 2011 13:47 |  #6

Ok..thank you all for that info. Since I could do an 8 hour wedding when shooting jpeg on one battery, now that I'm shooting raw and it is down to about 2 hours per battery (shooting raw is the only thing that changed) then I'd say it is the raw being written to the card that is doing it.

sponsored links

902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery Power useage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.