Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2011 (Monday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Verification: 5D Mirror Fix Acknowledgement File; Is that my true shutter count?

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2011 22:33 |  #1

Hey guys,

So I sent my 5D in for the mirror fix last week, and Canon Irvine just emailed me this PDF document today (sorry for the low quality):

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i19.photobucket​.com …av400/Online/5D​Repair.jpg (external link)

I'm wondering if where it says: "Replace/retrofit mirror under service advisory, shot count31,000. no response required", if 31,000 is my true shutter count? Or do they include that on my return documentation?

If so, I feel pretty ripped. I bought the camera off eBay a few weeks ago since I won bidding; I know I could have spent at least $80 less than what I spent for mine for something that would supposedly having less than 20K clicks... I did research on the eBay seller after I got his name; he had really good reviews. Google says he runs a small portrait studio in New Jersey which employs between 1 and 4 people and profits are less than $500,000 a year.

I got all the original stuff that came with the camera, and "supposedly" box as well; brand new Canon strap, only un-included thing was the USB cable. The camera itself had a minty green clean sensor, all functions were perfect, and the camera itself was truly 10/10. My assumption is, this guy only used this body in-studio if the actuation count is correct, and he probably kept it on tripod or something. There is slight wear on the hotshoe, so I guess he probably did use strobes with it. Main thing that makes me feel jipped is he said it only had between "4500 and 5500 clicks", and he bought it new from Calumet camera...

Sorry for the rant, but I do not feel justified, so is that the count? :D

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 07, 2011 22:46 |  #2

Yes. Your 5D has 31k actuations.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2011 22:57 |  #3

Dang it T_T Well, it still has a while to go... At least I don't do intensive events.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 07, 2011 23:07 |  #4

That's hardly broken in...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Gomboman
723 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2011 23:18 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #5

I wouldn't worry about the shutter count if the camera's in decent shape. Just about every 5D I see for sale is estimated at less than 10,000. I'm sure most people under estimate this quite a bit.

1D Mark III | 1D Mark IIN | 5D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 1.4 TC II| 550EX | And some other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 07, 2011 23:28 |  #6

There is no way a user can tell the actual activications on the 5D. You can take a guess if you have only used the same card over time. Another guess can be made by looking at the total number of shots you have from the camera in the library.

The card count can help, the library search can help (except for deleted files), but I don't think anyone has really nailed it. I don't know how that shooter could be that far off, though!

When you look at your image numbers, you have to realize that they start over again after 9999, although if you set your counting system to something other than continuous, again you are way off!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

booja
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 08, 2011 00:03 |  #7

thats not too bad...

i have a 5d2 with more clicks than that and I'm sure mine is newer

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 08, 2011 11:21 |  #8

It's kind of crappy that the original owner misrepresented the camera as having so few clicks on it. But honestly I'd have been surprised to find a 5D classic with less than 25K, 30K clicks. It is at least three years old and I shoot 50,000 or more images a year (spread around amoung several cameras).

The 5D classic has a 100K rated shutter, so that camera still has a lot of life in it. I wouldn't worry too much.

The 5DII got an uprated shutter - 150K. But in fact, the shutter rating is nothing more than an estimate that Canon engineers think will be the lifespan of a shutter... many last a whole lot longer, some fall short of their life expectancy. But usually if there are going to be problems they will show up early... If a shutter is reliable for even a month or two, it's probably going to enjoy a long, long life.

If a shutter replacement is ever needed, it's not a huge expense anyway, so long as parts are available. Some cameras have depreciated in value to the point they aren't worth repairing... but 5D classic is still likely worth fixing unless there are other significant problems with it.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 09, 2011 08:22 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

These shutter count threads are quite some humour ...

First - there is little physical differences between DSLR shutters.
Other than sensor/curtain size and FPS the only difference is the amount of oil \
and lub they put in which often drops on your sensor.

Second - the vendor "rated" shutter use is only marketing beeswax. There is no warranty
on stated number, actual failure numbers are all over the place, and the "rated" number
is always higher for the more expensive or to upgrade cameras {Get the Concept ???} .

Third - shutter counts are less reliable than your average Congressman - regardless of who, where, or how its counted.

There is no upgraded shutter in a 5D II over a 5D C. Don't be victim of marketing beeswax and advertising lies.

Wake up People and Smell the Coffee !!
For those you need to know death of cameras ... http://olegkikin.com/s​hutterlife/ (external link)

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 09, 2011 10:29 |  #10

EL_PIC wrote in post #13375110 (external link)
First - there is little physical differences between DSLR shutters.
Other than sensor/curtain size and FPS the only difference is the amount of oil \
and lub they put in which often drops on your sensor.

But the new 1D X has a newly re-designed shutter. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 09, 2011 12:11 |  #11

There really is no telling when a shutter will go. You could be lucky and hit over 300,000 activations with your 5D. You could buy a Canon 1D x and the day after the warranty go outs the shutter will go at 40,000 activations.

I get why you are hacked off but just try and enjoy the camera and don't worry about what hasn't happened.

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,292 views & 0 likes for this thread
Verification: 5D Mirror Fix Acknowledgement File; Is that my true shutter count?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.