Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 10:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I crazy? AKA, thinking of ditching my DSLR...

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2011 12:48 |  #16

Isn't it the considered wisdom these days that the latest four-thirds systems are very close to DSLRs? Something like the GF1 or the Fuji x100?, or even the new Nikon J1 / J2 (but I realise these aren't four-thirds). I'm surprised that Canon haven't entered this market yet.

Paul

sponsored links
Jason ­ Paul
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 08, 2011 12:59 as a reply to  @ paulkaye's post |  #17

This is exactly how I came into my current gear. The guy I bought it from is a neighbor of our camera club president. The president mentioned it at a meeting and I ended up buying it.

Everything is in stellar condition. When I asked why he was selling, he said, "I just want to take good pictures, but don't want to be into photography."

Made sense to me, and as with just about everything, there's a give and take.

Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2011 13:51 |  #18

Is taking lousy framed pictures due to small LCD - fun?
Rebel with kit lens doesn't need backpack and it will outperforms all p&s in same price range and above.
But it is nice to have waterproof p&s in addition to DSLR.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 08, 2011 13:55 as a reply to  @ post 13371049 |  #19

The fuji X100 might be a great camera for you then!

I've looked long and hard at them.... I just want an F1.2 auto focus lens....

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 08, 2011 14:08 |  #20

I have a P&S

How many DSLR's can boast being ....

Waterproof to33 Feet
Shockprrof from five foot drop
Crushproof can withstand 220 pounds of crushing force
Freezeproof to -10 degrees celsius

But it's not meant to be a replacement for my DSLR, just kept in my pocket for those times when not carrying or unable to get to the DSLR

Olympus Stylus 770SW

But if I wanted a P&S to replace my DSLR it would be a Canon G series .... G12 is the newest I believe.

EDIT: One feature about the G12 I like is the hot shoe - if I had it I could still use all my studio lighting remotely.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2011 14:34 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #21

One thing which bugs me a lot with G12 every time I'm taking it to my hands.
Viewfinder is total mess in terms of design. The lens is visible in it and it sucks for this price of the camera.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Chris
Goldmember
4,128 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 08, 2011 14:38 |  #22

I used an S95 for a couple months earlier this year and really enjoyed the manual controls it offered. And it is smaller than the G12

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 08, 2011 15:02 |  #23

kf095 wrote in post #13371752 (external link)
One thing which bugs me a lot with G12 every time I'm taking it to my hands.
Viewfinder is total mess in terms of design. The lens is visible in it and it sucks for this price of the camera.

You know, I've never used one but am considering it.

Reason: dedicated use - small product

A friend of mine who makes a living as a photographer uses a G12 in a fixed " studio " solely for the purpose of small product photography.

I used to marvel at some of his Macro work and one day he showed me how a most of it was done. The G12 was at the center of his setup.

Everything else he shoots, he shoots with a 5D/5D2

For less than the cost of a Macro lens for my 7D or 5D2 I could acquire a G12 and lens attachment for Macro use. Set it up in one area and leave it be.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 08, 2011 15:07 |  #24

to keep my dslr light I always bring a small light prime with me instead of a zoom lens.
Used to be my 50 1.8, then sigma 50 1.4 then now it's the 35 2.
Which will be ten folds better than a P&S.
Beside, if I really don't want to use/carry a dslr, I would be using my iphone4 instead.

otherwise you should check out the G12, S95/S100 or Fuji X-10

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 08, 2011 15:12 |  #25

harcosparky wrote in post #13371884 (external link)
You know, I've never used one but am considering it.

Reason: dedicated use - small product

A friend of mine who makes a living as a photographer uses a G12 in a fixed " studio " solely for the purpose of small product photography.

I used to marvel at some of his Macro work and one day he showed me how a most of it was done. The G12 was at the center of his setup.

Everything else he shoots, he shoots with a 5D/5D2

For less than the cost of a Macro lens for my 7D or 5D2 I could acquire a G12 and lens attachment for Macro use. Set it up in one area and leave it be.

500D which is priced about the same with kit lens and lens attachment for Macro will beat it by IQ, MPs and convenience of LV and full control on computer.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 08, 2011 15:31 |  #26

kf095 wrote in post #13371931 (external link)
500D which is priced about the same with kit lens and lens attachment for Macro will beat it by IQ, MPs and convenience of LV and full control on computer.

If the 500D is the T1i, I am not sure about the pricing.

Quick check at Best Buy ( for pricing )

Rebel T1i $749 USD w/ EF-S 18-55mm lens
Rebel T2i $664.39 ( ON SALE ) EF-S w/18-55mm
Rebel T3i $770 ( ON SALE ) w/EF-S 18-55mm lens
Canon G12 $439.00

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 08, 2011 17:51 |  #27

S95 for a true pocket camera.

You could also look at something that splits the difference like one of the micro 4:3 or NEX EVIL cameras. I have a Panasonic GF-1 for when I don't want to carry a dSLR and with the 20/1.7 prime it is jacket pocket capable. This camera has no real lag compared to a Rebel and with the fast prime it is quite capable.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

tempest68
980 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 08, 2011 18:34 |  #28

The new Samsung NX-200 looks interesting in the MILC category of cameras.

I've been looking at the Pentax K-5 and available lenses lately. On my 50D, I like the very small size of the Voigtlander 40mm. However it is a manual focus lens. For the Pentax, there are several good quality primes that are pancake designs with very good IQ and are autofocus. I would
Get their 21mm, 40mm and 70mm. All three lenses stacked one on top of the other would still be shorter than my Sigma 17-50mm. The K-5 with those three lenses would make a nice light weight, compact kit. And the fact that it's weather sealed too is another nice feature. It's just that I'm invested in the Canon system and like what I already have that I don't know that switching is the best answer.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

snakedoc
162 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2011 18:51 |  #29

Fuji X100. It's the only P&S camera that I've ever been remotely happy with. Love mine and it does some things I can't do with my 1DS2. Pricey but worth it (to me, at least.)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 08, 2011 20:10 |  #30

I wouldn't get rid of the 60D, but if there are times you want to use it and don't want the "work", there is nothing wrong with putting it on automatic. You can still get great shots without thinking about it. If you're using a P&S manually, it would be probably just as much work to fiddle with the settings. Even moreso possibly, with smaller controls.

I keep my 28mm 2.8 handy for times I don't want a lot of bulk. But I do carry my camera in a purse, so that's a difference, I don't need a pocket camera. :)

Canon 50D
50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sears 135mm 2.8
430EX

sponsored links

4,934 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I crazy? AKA, thinking of ditching my DSLR...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.