Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

the $150.00 small flash set up. please advise.

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 08, 2011 19:58 |  #1

First of all let me inform you of my current setup.

Im fairly new to flash and off camera photography however Im getting excited as to the possibilities. Right now I am using a very primitive set up.

IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/vzbmv7.jpg

about 2 minute recycle time and squeals like a pig. no joke. This is what I use. I get ok results from it. Cost about 12 bucks.

I also have a cheap 43" umbrella with stand, a reflector, and a wireless trigger that cost about $20.
The idea is a portable set up I can put I can power by batteries.

I have gathered $150-180 for funds.

I would like to use amazon that I can return things if need be, with less hassle.

I was originally thinking about getting a YN 565EX and calling it a day but perhaps you guys can think of a better way to spend my money.

I am using a 5D Mark II. I am not against using sync cords or any other means.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a starter:

perhaps 2 YN 560's and another wireless receiver + stand + Umbrella

this would give me more options and still be cheap.

I don't really know what I am doing here so feel free to jump in.

Tete

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links
peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 08, 2011 21:52 |  #2

Well the 2-minute recycle time is going to cramp your style sooner or later.

If it were me, I would go with manual flashes (560's) and then filling out whatever you need to complete two lightstand setups - stands, umbrella brackets, receivers, umbrellas, and maybe some gels. Technically, the second 560 could be set on optical trigger so it would flash whenever the first one does, and then you wouldn't even need a second receiver. But at $20 or less, the second receiver makes sense. You're using the CowboyStudio NPT-04 radio triggers, which is what I use. They work fine and are dirt cheap - less than cables would cost.

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 09, 2011 00:37 |  #3

peabody thanks for the response. so you're saying instead of the line of sight optical triggers just use the cowboy Studio NPT-04 with 2 YN 560 or perhaps the Vivitar 285HV's? do you have any experience with the vivitar? also I notice everyone keeps mentioning a master. Is it really needed. I mean, with my cheapo set up I use right now some of the results are pretty good and I don't believe it has any TTL or master. what is the advantage? also when on camera hotshoe will these manual flashes still fire or only at full power? I'm just wondering why people would pay double the cost for say the YN-565EX? where is the advantage if you are setting everything up anyway?

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

Fluffbutt
75 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 09, 2011 05:00 |  #4

I bought one of those cheap Neewer monobloc sets, three flash + boxes/umbrellas/barn doors and stands for about £160.

It's not as hugely wonderful as a £1000 set, but it works fine for what I do, and would probably work fine for you too.

Cycle time is 1/10 sec for short flash, about 1 sec for full burst (which i rarely need to use!)

They are small and fit well into a small bedroom studio.

** I have no commercial or personal involvement with them, I just like them for what they do cheaply **

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 09, 2011 08:01 |  #5

I ended up ordering the yn 560s x 2. Great reliable fast and cheap. Also order another wireless trigger. Next will b an additional umbrella and stand to go along w the one I already have.

checkgio
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2011 09:38 |  #6

Good choice, I have 2 of the 560's and they're great!

www.glophotography.net (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 09, 2011 14:53 |  #7

Yeah, the 560s are nice flashes. Mine hasn't failed me. The 460ii's are great budget flashes too.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 09, 2011 19:23 |  #8

I'm all about portability and clean set up. I would recommend the opteka 6 ft stand from amazon it's like 12$ or something. I got mine today and for simple umbrella and flash its perfect. Way better than I expected.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 09, 2011 19:44 |  #9

Are you really set on a flash? Or are you interested in getting into a strobe?

B&H has a one light kit (100ws light, stand, softbox) for about $140. Will be a lot better as an off camera light. But of coarse a no-go for on camera walk around.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 09, 2011 19:53 |  #10

Well I'm wanting to put it all in a leather suite case and have it be ultra portable.

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 09, 2011 22:42 |  #11

tete wrote in post #13374271 (external link)
peabody thanks for the response. so you're saying instead of the line of sight optical triggers just use the cowboy Studio NPT-04 with 2 YN 560 or perhaps the Vivitar 285HV's? do you have any experience with the vivitar? also I notice everyone keeps mentioning a master. Is it really needed. I mean, with my cheapo set up I use right now some of the results are pretty good and I don't believe it has any TTL or master. what is the advantage? also when on camera hotshoe will these manual flashes still fire or only at full power? I'm just wondering why people would pay double the cost for say the YN-565EX? where is the advantage if you are setting everything up anyway?

Well, you would have the NPT-04 transmitter mounted on the camera, and two NPT-04 receivers - one on each flash, and both set to the same channel. So both flashes would fire at the same time. That's really going to be more reliable, I think, than trying to slave one flash off the other, although that would probably work ok indoors.

I've never used the Vivitar 285HV, but it should work fine with the NPT-04. I use an old Vivitar 3500 flash that I modified to provide manual power control, and it works fine with the NPT-04. All the receiver has to do to fire a manual flash is briefly short the center pin to ground. This is not rocket science.

I really don't have any experience using a master, or really any ETTL flash, off camera. I've become pretty good at estimating the right settings, and really don't want the camera or the flash trying to second-guess me. But certainly many insist on preserving the ETTL functions off camera. I will admit though, that it would sometimes be nice to have high-speed sync available off camera.

The advantage of the YN-565 comes when you put it back on the camera because it gives you ETTL then, whereas the YN-560 is still a manual flash. And yes, you should get variable power settings when the 560 is mounted on the camera, but I don't think you can set the power level through the camera - it has to be the setting on the flash.

I've become a real fan of manual flashes and cheap triggers off-camera. They work fine for me, and for the cost of one 580EXii, or one Pocket Wizard, you can fully fit out two light stands with everything included. You just have to learn how to use them. But that really turns out to be fairly easy with a little practice.

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2011 13:18 |  #12

yeah. it seems like the learning curve is pretty quick. even with one flash in manual. I'll post a picture of my setup once all the pieces get here. maybe it will help someone else.

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 12, 2011 02:49 |  #13

so i received the YN 560 - I ordered 2 of them.. These are built so well. I was very surprised. I mean they are rock solid. A buddy and I did some test at full power against the Canon ex550. The YN 560 seems to put out more. the slave worked flawlessly and they were pretty easy to adjust from zoom, to power, etc.. The shoe/bracket was made of metal. the entire unit feels really sturdy. Even more so than my buddies 550EX ( it is rather old however )- - he shoots professionally and teaches at 2 colleges and was very impressed. I also used the NPT-04 wireless triggers. These guys worked great up to about 20 ft. out of sight but we tested them as far as 85Ft in line of sight. I am happy with my decision to purchase this set up. now I need another stand and umbrella set up.

sponsored links

2,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
the $150.00 small flash set up. please advise.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.