Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 08 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 22:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tuesday Afternoon

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 08, 2011 22:43 |  #1

And some trains and bridges, sunshine and cloud, and above average temps, but I am actually looking forward to shooting some trains in the cold and snow of a winter wonderland for a change.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

sponsored links
RadAL
Cream of the Crop
9,633 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 08, 2011 23:17 |  #2

find some covered widebodies (without the railings and kinda an oversized amtrak F40), I know CN and BC rail have them...

Equipment: Canon PowerShot A650IS (semi retired) and Canon Powershot G10 (primary) and Rebel XT 350D w/18-55mm kit lens and Quanterey 18-200mm-- www.youtube.com/alexan​der1485 (external link) (has links to some of my pictures on the main page)

Bosscat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 09, 2011 06:53 |  #3

RadAL wrote in post #13374064 (external link)
find some covered widebodies (without the railings and kinda an oversized amtrak F40), I know CN and BC rail have them...

We don't get much variety on this CN Subdivision in regards to power, but if I find a clean spot to shoot CP, I can get all kinds of power, but zero passenger traffic.

Mr. ­ Pick
441 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2011 07:22 as a reply to  @ Bosscat's post |  #4

Well you'll be shooting in snow before I will....and I'm not unhappy about that! :) Nice shots. I'm logging the engines I shoot, and there's not much variety in CSX's aresenal either. Going to have to branch out a ways and find some variety. This train stuff is addictive!

60D / EOS Elan / 15-85 IS USM / 70-200 f4L IS / 50 1.4 / 430ex / Fujifilm X100s / Slik U-212 (a genuine antique, like me....)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Nov 09, 2011 09:50 |  #5

Freight consists tend to be more entertaining than passenger rail, certainly far more choices of motive power and broader spectrum of cars and colors.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Bosscat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 09, 2011 11:36 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #6

The number of freights that seem to pass through during these short hours of daylight are pretty slim around here. And since the nearest fairly busy rail line is 30 miles away and I am not rolling in excess money I'll take the busy lines and whatever rolls down its rails.

And if I know a passenger train is due in an area at sunrise or sunset, I'd rather have one killer shot of that, then 20 ho hum shots of freight trains in crappy light or locations.

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Nov 09, 2011 11:48 |  #7

30 miles is quite the hike unless you have other reasons to be in the area. Good light certainly plays a big role too...I think we all would go for the one killer shot over the 20 boring ones.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Bosscat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 09, 2011 12:00 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #8

These shots are from a location 50 miles away and my other favorite bridge is 70 miles away, but it is a passenger corridor, and runs an average of 6 trains an hour during rush hour, so its worth the drive, and then once that is over, I can head towards home and an afternoon/evening location.

I have other spots I am looking in to, but sadly, they are even farther from home, but may just have to figure out a way to make an overnighter of some of these spots.

Next spring/summer/fall, I am gonna try and spend more time shooting trains, and less time on anything else.

Mr. ­ Pick
441 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2011 15:30 as a reply to  @ Bosscat's post |  #9

All freights on the lines anywhere near where I live. I also have a Harley I enjoy riding, so it is a pleasure to go out and scout new locations on it. There are half a dozen small "whistle stop" towns still in existing within 50 miles of my home. Next plan is to scope them out for good shooting opportunities. I think they will make for some good pictures. The only drawback is traffic can be a little slow on those lines.

60D / EOS Elan / 15-85 IS USM / 70-200 f4L IS / 50 1.4 / 430ex / Fujifilm X100s / Slik U-212 (a genuine antique, like me....)

Bosscat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 10, 2011 19:31 |  #10

Woolburr wrote in post #13376108 (external link)
30 miles is quite the hike unless you have other reasons to be in the area. Good light certainly plays a big role too...I think we all would go for the one killer shot over the 20 boring ones.

And if I drive 25-30 miles south of my house, I can shoot a sunrise and a sunset over Lake Erie in the same day too.

Once I get a scanner and figure all that out, I should be able to nail more variety and I will be fanning out my fanning from my local areas next year.

Mr. ­ Pick
441 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 10, 2011 20:57 |  #11

Bosscat wrote in post #13383328 (external link)
And if I drive 25-30 miles south of my house, I can shoot a sunrise and a sunset over Lake Erie in the same day too.

Once I get a scanner and figure all that out, I should be able to nail more variety and I will be fanning out my fanning from my local areas next year.

Good! Once you get the scanner all figured out you can tutor the rest of us! :D I went back to the spot near my house for just a few minutes after work. Sun set at about 4:25 and I gave it until 4:40 and then packed it in....just as I pulled out of the parking lot and headed home, I see the crossing gates coming down in my rearview mirror...and it was 2 Union Pacific's upfront - unusual for my neck of the woods. Oh well, next time!

Bosscat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 11, 2011 11:28 |  #12

Mr. Pick wrote in post #13383764 (external link)
...just as I pulled out of the parking lot and headed home, I see the crossing gates coming down in my rearview mirror...and it was 2 Union Pacific's upfront - unusual for my neck of the woods. Oh well, next time!

If I had a dollar for everytime I have had something like this happened to me.......I'd be rich......LOL

Thats a bg reason why a scanner is so useful, as it acts as a heads up as to whats going on out of view.

Mr. ­ Pick
441 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 11, 2011 21:35 as a reply to  @ Bosscat's post |  #13

Well I'm headed out early in the morning to try it again. Going to follow a part of the CSX Nash-Chatt line through a couple of rural counties to look for some good spots.

sponsored links

1,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tuesday Afternoon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.