Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Photography -- Our Early Years!

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2011 21:42 |  #46

My first digital camera was a canon G3, before that I would get all of my film developed 'on disc'. I still have the G3 and it still takes great pics!!

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

sponsored links
Merovius
233 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 19, 2011 22:18 |  #47

tonylong wrote in post #13424272 (external link)
Well, it's something! While processing a single shoot, and getting it "in place", can be reasonably quick (many shared keywords for example), it's a whole different matter to take on hundreds of shoots, to relocate them, often name the images, keyword them, put them in collections, etc...!

I'm struggling with organization because my photographic output has suddenly jumped by several orders of magnitude. When I'm coming home from a day out shooting with 500-1000 shots to look through, and doing that sometimes every weekend for several weeks straight, that's when I get a little overwhelmed. Prior to the last year or so, a big day shooting might be 75 shots, and I might only do that a few times a year. The expedient of just throwing them into folders is showing its weaknesses, and I'm only beginning to learn the ins and outs of Lightroom.

--Howard
SmugMug (external link) | G+ (external link) | HJW Photography (external link)
7D Mark II | 6D | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | EF 50 f/1.4 | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 135 f/2L | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EF 100 f/2.8L Macro | Tamron 150-600

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 19, 2011 23:31 |  #48

Merovius wrote in post #13424426 (external link)
I'm struggling with organization because my photographic output has suddenly jumped by several orders of magnitude. When I'm coming home from a day out shooting with 500-1000 shots to look through, and doing that sometimes every weekend for several weeks straight, that's when I get a little overwhelmed. Prior to the last year or so, a big day shooting might be 75 shots, and I might only do that a few times a year. The expedient of just throwing them into folders is showing its weaknesses, and I'm only beginning to learn the ins and outs of Lightroom.

Well, Lightroom is definitely a big plus for organization, so I'd encourage you to get up to speed with it!

If you haven't already, please take the time to work through Help! It is very well done and not overwhelming!

Plus, I'd advise getting one of the good Lightroom "primers" -- three good authors are Scott Kelby, Martin Evening and Victoria Bampton. They walk you through your various LR tasks, and it can make a big difference! Check them out at Amazon.com!

I start out by suggesting those things because although there are an abundance of Lightroom tutorials and other resources on the Web, it would be hard to find ones that will even try to give you the kind of comprehensive grasp of things that one of the good books can give!

Anyway, on with our Early Digital Photography sharing! Who's got another "oldy but goody" pic to share:)?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2011 08:40 |  #49

Lore wrote in post #13381944 (external link)
A handfull of randoms from my Photobucket

FinePix A210 in 2004

QUOTED IMAGE

Sorry to be off topic but the wires of those lights have lead in them (unless they are super special) which are not good for kids to come in contact with let alone be putting them in their mouth!

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 20, 2011 08:47 |  #50

Great idea Tony! I started with a Sony digital p&s. Must dig into the archives one of these days! :)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 09:32 |  #51

Dig in there, Julian! It can be very cool to see what we come up with!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 17:03 |  #52

my first digicam was a kodak easyshare, 4mp's i believe. i have absolutely NOTHING to share photograph-wise, since all my cd's were lost in a move. it was actually pretty decent, if i recall correctly, but i'm sure if i compared them today with my S100 or 60D, i'd mostly likely slide the cd's into the back of a drawer. they weren't family shots, just random things i took pics of...i do wish i still had them tho.

on an unrelated note, i do have a box of undeveloped film from the 80's out of my AE-1. i'm not sure why i don't have those developed. probably big-hair fear.

feedback

gear list

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 17:37 |  #53

jay125 wrote in post #13427400 (external link)
on an unrelated note, i do have a box of undeveloped film from the 80's out of my AE-1. i'm not sure why i don't have those developed. probably big-hair fear.

Heh! That reminds me of my late film days -- my camera had broken down and I was just using disposables for snapshots and running out of motivation. In the '90s I did a lot of scanning of my collection but wasn't adding much to it -- disposables ended up just laying around!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 17:43 |  #54

But with the digicams, the "instant gratification" factor definitely breathed new life into things!

These were some shots from my first digicam in '03 at the cemetery where we would bury half of my Mom's ashes, then my Dad, then later my brother:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79390026.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79390027.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79393570.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79393573.jpg

Tony

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 17:44 |  #55

i too scanned my stuff. having lost the cd's, i'll never truly know what's gone. i've taken steps since then to make sure i have backups of backups. i still have the kodak easyshare. i should pick it up one day and shoot for a day with it.

feedback

gear list

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 17:46 |  #56

those shots are actually very nice, tony! maybe it's not the camera, maybe...just maybe it IS the photographer!!! ;)

feedback

gear list

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 18:12 |  #57

jay125 wrote in post #13427598 (external link)
those shots are actually very nice, tony! maybe it's not the camera, maybe...just maybe it IS the photographer!!! ;)

Hey, thanks!

Heh! It helps to have interesting stuff to shoot, even if it was a cemetery and a sad time!

Tony

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 18:17 |  #58

yeah, sorry about that. i've seen threads where people thought it bad taste to be there with a camera. my philosophy is that cemeteries are for the living, and capturing moments and memories are equally important. my parents are in a national cemetery and i have several shots. it's solemn and it's dignity.

feedback

gear list

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 18:56 |  #59

jay125 wrote in post #13427731 (external link)
yeah, sorry about that. i've seen threads where people thought it bad taste to be there with a camera. my philosophy is that cemeteries are for the living, and capturing moments and memories are equally important. my parents are in a national cemetery and i have several shots. it's solemn and it's dignity.

Yeah, funerals and such became the "reason" for family reunions down in Southern Cal where I grew up. My uncle was "the first to go" in February of '03. He died of cancer, so not unexpectedly, and so after a memorial service filled with people (he was a well-known physician) we had a "party" at his house!

By then, my new HP digicam had become a constant companion, and so the gathered family members became early "victims":

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/139790575/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/139790586/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/139790588/original.jpg

My aunt is the lady in red.

Three years later, my brother died -- he was actually murdered outside his home in Pomona, CA. So, another trip down there (my Dad went in '05).

When my aunt and I saw each other at my brother's grave site, we gave each other a big hug. As I was about to say something, she beat me to it, saying exactly what I was about to say "We're going to have to stop meeting each other like this!":)! It's amazing how humor can crop up at such times!!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 19:01 |  #60

Sorry about my lousy compositions for those early shots! These were all taken "on the fly" -- and, let's just say I don't remember how many drinks I had downed by then:)!

And then, dang, I still don't have the hang of flash photography, but with those early digicams, well, there was no alternative to the pop-up flash!

Tony

sponsored links

9,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Photography -- Our Early Years!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.