Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital Photography -- Our Early Years!

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 19:09 |  #61

i just bought a flash for my 60D. i rarely use flash, but i figured i should learn just in case the need arises one day.

i actually find drinks can sometimes make my shots a little better...lol

feedback

gear list

sponsored links
tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 20, 2011 20:23 |  #62

jay125 wrote in post #13427930 (external link)
i just bought a flash for my 60D. i rarely use flash, but i figured i should learn just in case the need arises one day.

i actually find drinks can sometimes make my shots a little better...lol

Heh!

A good flash is a powerful tool! Those "snapshots" above are good illustrations of why I made sure that an external flash was an early part of my DSLR-related purchases! Whether you keep an external flash on your hotshoe or use it off-camera, there is no substitution for the ability to modify your flash in one way or another to avoid the bright/hot look, not to mention the red-eyes, that come from using a built-in flash. Of course, cameras with Flash Exposure Compensation have at least that to help, and you can also do little "tricks" to soften the light a bit, but I don't believe my early digicams had FEC, and I was too new to things to know any diffusing techniques.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2011 21:55 |  #63

the 60D has the built-in wireless flash control, which should be helpful for those off-shoe moments. i've never really used a flash, and i imagine i should find a book or 3 to read up on it, while gleaning all the info i can from here. i'm learning photography is constant learning.

feedback

gear list

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,798 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 21, 2011 07:19 |  #64

I'll end my voyage or early digital with something not so early. But in 2006, I sold my S400 and bought a Canon SD700 IS. I took it on our honeymoon, a Mediterranean cruise. This trip is what prompted me to get into DSLR's. A year later I got my 40D and the rest, as they say, is history. But that little SD700 IS got some great shots! And I got stopped by so many other people on our cruise asking about the camera. The power up time on it was very impressive. If I saw something while we were on a bus or something, I could pull it out, hit power and take a shot in 1 or 2 seconds. I probably would have made a nice dent in that 40D if Canon had given me a referral fee for all the cameras I sold on that trip!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 21, 2011 07:30 |  #65

Nice ones, Randy!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 26, 2011 16:54 |  #66

Here is another one, same Germany trip. Date on the file is Nov 10, 2002 using a Kodak DX3600. My wife always loved this shot. Here is STEVES DIGICAM'S REVIEW (external link)of that camera!

Rad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

pixiepearls
I do bad things in the dark
3,061 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 27, 2011 20:15 |  #67

I think I had an old canon, but back in 2004 when I got on flickr, I was shooting with my Razr flip phone, I was so ahead of my time :)

IMAGE: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/1/1205004_ddd6bce18c.jpg

Then I am upgraded to some sort of Olympus (Olympus X400,D580Z,C460Z ?) which it appears I got for a trip to Australia in 2005.

IMAGE: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/5/4990180_c7ae8c51d5_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/13/16725637_1d65f90544_z.jpg?zz=1

Brandy 500px (external link)
I ♥ my 5D TF'd March '11
DARKROOM CHEMIST BLOG (external link) - My Dad's Pix (external link)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2011 23:08 |  #68

Heh! Brandy, that dog shot is cool! But that Razr phone shot...:)?

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 28, 2011 23:30 |  #69

You know, this thread has helped to spur me along in my project to get all my old photos organized in my LR1 catalog and then exported/imported into LR3. I've made it up to '07 so far.

One of the things that has come up brings both a chuckle and a wince, and that was my early efforts to photograph birds in flight, using the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. It was a nice compact camera, but man, it sucked dealing with shutter lag and such!

Even after I got my 30D in late '06, I still tried to work with that S3IS! In early '07 I had it at the Oregon Coast, where there were gulls, and the S3IS had a "superzoom" that was like putting a 300mm lens on the 30D, but the struggles never ceased! A few came out "OK", although I had to do a lot of cropping:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/78586365.jpg

But so many turned out crappy:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79030491.jpg

It was always a roll of the dice!

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/79030493.jpg

Fortunately in early '07 I was learning to use the 30D, but even then with BIFs a 100% crop was typical:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/78788711.jpg

The crazy thing is, I still haven't gotten into it enough to have a handle on it!

Tony

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,798 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 29, 2011 05:59 |  #70

Brandy, what kind of dog is that? Looks like one of my golden doodles.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

sponsored links

8,379 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital Photography -- Our Early Years!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.