Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To crop or not - your opinions please

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,023 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 09, 2011 21:19 |  #1

Obviously opinions are subjective but I would like to hear a few in regard to this image. For me the full shot really shows the power of the players, mainly due to the angle of the guys leg/back driving power into the ground. However the crop cuts out all the power flowing through his body but at the same time makes for a more personal contest between the two.... your thoughts appreciated.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

and

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
mattyv53
118 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 10, 2011 09:26 |  #2

I would look at cropping the first image much tighter, but keep the orientation. You could crop it pretty close to the two main subjects, and that way you could possibly crop out the person in the background holding the bag (or whatever it is) on the left hand side of the photo.

Canon 1D Mark IV / 5D mark iii / 7D mark ii / 6D / Canon 300mm f2.8 IS L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS ii L / Canon 24-70 f2.8 ii L / Canon 17-40mm f4 L / Canon 24-105mm f4 L / Sigma 10mm f2.8 fisheye / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon Speedlite 430 EX II
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=9812 (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​mattyv53 (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,292 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 10, 2011 09:38 |  #3

They both "work", I think; but I prefer the non-cropped shot for the reasons that you describe in the op. That is one, big, angry-looking guy! :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Dan ­ Marchant
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,023 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2011 20:10 |  #4

mattyv53 wrote in post #13380668 (external link)
You could crop it pretty close to the two main subjects, and that way you could possibly crop out the person in the background holding the bag (or whatever it is) on the left hand side of the photo.

That's the line judge with his yellow flag that he likes to wave all the time. Not thought about cropping even tighter - was worried that it would look silly if I chopped off the players ball carrying arm (or at least the elbow). Will go back and give it a try and see what the result is like.

Thanks

Dan

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DRLPhotog
237 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 10, 2011 22:58 |  #5

I'm leaning towards the first one as well and agree, maybe a little tighter crop.

And ya gotta give the smaller guy credit for going after that big guy!

Dwane
---------------
Canon 7D MK II | BG-E7 | Canon 5D MK III | EF 70-200 2.8 IS II | EF 24-70 2.8 | EF 1.4x II | 580EX II | (3x) 430EX II
Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Twitter (external link)

Postcoke2
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 11, 2011 21:45 |  #6

Great photo, love the tighter crop. I never have been a fan of frames that have knees or feet cut off.

EC - G9N (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,023 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 14, 2011 20:05 |  #7

Postcoke2 wrote in post #13388478 (external link)
Great photo, love the tighter crop. I never have been a fan of frames that have knees or feet cut off.

Yes, I realise that, just like most other types of photography, there are the rules of sports photography. As well as getting the ball and the action you need to get a full set of limbs :)

The only reason I opted to crop was that I had screwed up and chopped the feet off while taking the shot. Going to be working hard on my framing in my future outings.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dan

Dan Marchant

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,474 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Nov 14, 2011 20:44 |  #8

I also like the first shot - it give a much better sense of movement to have the legs in view. Actually, I might have even left the feet in the pic.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

sponsored links

1,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
To crop or not - your opinions please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.