Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Does Evil

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 12, 2011 07:28 |  #1

I knew Adobe was turning scrooge when they announced they were going to charge for a 5.0 -> 5.5 upgrades. But this just makes that sound like a gift. No longer do you qualify for any discount unless you have the latest version of Creative Suite when you go to upgrade.

http://prodesigntools.​com …e-cs2-cs3-cs4-to-cs5.html (external link)

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 12, 2011 08:25 |  #2

The solution is simple. Use something else.

There's lots out there. We use DxO and Picassa.

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,158 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 12, 2011 08:46 |  #3

Bummer, I bought CS3 Web Premium, upgraded to CS4 and was waiting for CS6, not real happy with this.
I purchased software with 3 upgrades at a discount and now they decide that times are tough so to bad for the little guy, maybe it's time for a "OCCUPY SAN JOSE"! :)

Well I guess adobe will keep the hackers busy.
Adobe wants everyone on a subscription anyway, I think this will hurt sales in my opinion.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 12, 2011 09:18 |  #4

cntry wrote in post #13389604 (external link)
Bummer, I bought CS3 Web Premium, upgraded to CS4 and was waiting for CS6, not real happy with this.
I purchased software with 3 upgrades at a discount and now they decide that times are tough so to bad for the little guy, maybe it's time for a "OCCUPY SAN JOSE"! :)

Well I guess adobe will keep the hackers busy.
Adobe wants everyone on a subscription anyway, I think this will hurt sales in my opinion.

There is nothing new here. Adobe has long done things that screw over the little guy. I own Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0, for which I paid legitimate retail, i.e., an arm and a leg, through the nose. I've used it for years with Windows XP with nary a problem.

Unfortunately, Acrobat Pro 8.0 does not like Windows 7, so I tried to upgrade. Adobe, unfortunately has decided that there shall be no upgrade therefrom. I must purchase anew, for another arm and leg, through the nose, again.

Guess what? Primo PDF does everything I require and it's free!

Adobe can go sit on a cactus!

The same crap applies to PhotoShop.

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 12, 2011 09:54 |  #5

It's almost like they're trying to make up lost revenue from all the cracked software by charging all the legitimate buyers such a ridiculous price.

I know that adobe products are meant as professional tools but there's still a significant number of regular people like myself who have gotten used to their software and don't really want to switch. The professionals and corporate purchases might not be terribly affected by this but for everyone else they will eventually reach a cap...

oh well though, at the end of the day there are some alternatives even if not ideal, and they have the right to charge whatever they want so I don't have much to complain about

Gear

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 12, 2011 09:58 |  #6

Ten years ago when I bought a photo editor for home use, Picture Window Pro did everything in 16 bit and either HSV, HSL or RGB space when Photoshop 6 was severely limited in 16 bit functionality and cost 6 times as much. I bought PWP and have remained with it to this day.

Elie / אלי

pol024
167 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 12, 2011 10:12 |  #7

It's almost like they're trying to make up lost revenue from all the cracked software

I really find it hard to believe they lose revenue from cracked software. I do understand that photoshop is one of the most pirated pieces of software on the planet, but honestly how many of the high school kids who steal it would be in a position to buy a $500 software package. They have however turned photoshop into a verb. I don't see that as lost revenue as much as free advertising.

I bet if they somehow made photoshop "un-piratable" you wouldn't see a surge in Adobe sales so much as in GIMP popularity. The end result of which would be a generation of incoming employables who have spent all their time learning to compete with Adobe's product using open license software.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 12, 2011 10:13 |  #8

elogical wrote in post #13389827 (external link)
oh well though, at the end of the day there are some alternatives even if not ideal, and they have the right to charge whatever they want so I don't have much to complain about

Wrong! You have every bit as much a right to complain, about anything and everything you dislike, as they have to set their pricing to screw over the ordinary guy.

They exercise their rights, why shouldn't you exercise yours?

I exercise mine, including the right to tell them to stuff it.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 12, 2011 10:18 |  #9

pol024 wrote in post #13389892 (external link)
I really find it hard to believe they lose revenue from cracked software. I do understand that photoshop is one of the most pirated pieces of software on the planet, but honestly how many of the high school kids who steal it would be in a position to buy a $500 software package. They have however turned photoshop into a verb. I don't see that as lost revenue as much as free advertising.

Actually, they haven't. The public has, illegally.

As the Xerox corporation says, "You can't make a Xerox of a Xerox on a Xerox, but you can make a copy of a copy on a Xerox copier."

Think about that while you're Hoovering your flat and blowing your nose with a Kleenex.

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 12, 2011 14:54 |  #10

Paint Shop Pro is a perfectly viable alternative to Photoshop. Even though I have CS4 (and paid for it) I usually use Paint Shop Pro X4 instead. Because it does everything I need and I know it better.

And I upgraded to this latest version for $40. Not $400.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 12, 2011 16:04 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #11

Adobe is not the big evil corporation that everyone here seems to be making them out to be. Certainly when a company does something that affects you personally it is human nature to complain but I have to wonder how many people that are writing on forum boards across the world will actually take the time to write to Adobe. That is how to affect change, not by pitching your tent in some park. At the end of the day Adobe has to respond to shareholder demands for continuing increase in returns. It's a fact of business that policy and procedures get changed all the time. I'm sure if many here looked inwards at their own employers where they have done something that could adversely affect customers.

Most of the individual people that use Photoshop don't have to have the full blown version, there are many alternatives. We would be fools to think that Adobe has not done a full risk assessment on this policy and has undoubtedly found it to be revenue positive. To the man sitting in the corner office that is what matters. This is simply business and not some big corporate conspiracy. The advertising agency that I do work for has about 40 copies of CS4 in their offices. I believe that this is who Adobe is targeting.

I do wish that there was a way that Adobe and the whole software industry could stop the illegal downloads and crackers. Maybe it's time to make an example of a bunch of them. You go to any torrent site and it is filled with versions of Photoshop. Hell I've already seen versions of CS6 being advertised on them and it's barely in beta. I've paid for every piece of software that I have and if I want to use a product but can't justify the cost I find a more affordable alternate solution. Perhaps this policy will be a boon for those companies offering those alternate solutions.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 12, 2011 18:48 |  #12

For kicks I installed my old copy of Photoshop 7 on my netbook.

Low and behold after I got my raw plugin working I didn't really notice a difference for photo editing.

Upgrade if you really need to.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 12, 2011 18:58 |  #13

Bananapie wrote in post #13391539 (external link)
For kicks I installed my old copy of Photoshop 7 on my netbook.

Low and behold after I got my raw plugin working I didn't really notice a difference for photo editing.

Upgrade if you really need to.

Photoshop 7 was one of their more solid versions, imo. It depends on what you are using for a RAW plugin. I don't even know if ACR existed in 7. If Adobe maintains its current policy of not putting new cameras into ACR support those that use ACR for their RAW converter will either have to upgrade or go the DNG route. I'm leaving Lightroom out of the conversation but that is also an option. Take the new 1Dx for instance. CS6 is probably going to come out around the time that this hits the streets. Will Adobe put RAW support into CS5 or only CS6. It is safe to say that they certainly won't be putting it into any version prior to CS5. So if one changes cameras frequently keeping up with the most current version has that benefit.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

2,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Does Evil
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.