Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 29, 2015 04:41 as a reply to  @ post 17575635 |  #9856

I knew you were going to say that Simon haha!!! £1000 for two rotalux 130x50 strips with grids........ I can't bring myself to do it! You can see the warmth in the Eli diffusion material just by looking at it

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

sponsored links
dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 29, 2015 04:50 as a reply to  @ post 17575638 |  #9857

Yeah that comparison was geared more towards more and more competitors making their way into the market. I don't feel Elinchrom are nearly as innovative as they once were. If Buff had some sense he could dominate the UK market with ease. They rant and rave about their latest gear as if it's a world first ie new Eli heads and those Litemotivs

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2015 05:52 |  #9858

Buff has no sense, he's dead.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 29, 2015 07:42 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #9859

He's dead!? When did that happen!?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2015 08:02 |  #9860

http://pdnpulse.pdnonl​ine.com …tuary-paul-c-buff-78.html (external link)

flickr (external link)

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 29, 2015 08:43 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #9861

Thanks Ralph. I never realised he was of such an age! Wonder what direction the company will take now? Man, if we had Buff gear in the UK, at the prices you guys pay, I would fill my studio with the stuff.

simonbarker
245 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 29, 2015 11:45 |  #9862

dbeugel wrote in post #17575640 (external link)
I knew you were going to say that Simon haha!!! £1000 for two rotalux 130x50 strips with grids........ I can't bring myself to do it! You can see the warmth in the Eli diffusion material just by looking at it

I'm not starting to sound like a broken record am I?

The Eli is actually a fair bit cheaper than the Profoto 1x4 when you consider how much larger it is but as Lighttools is your only option the grid is merely 3 times the cost, which is pretty much why I'm selling off my Elinchrom modifiers (that and the stupid bags are too small if you use anything bigger than the Elinchrom fit ring).

dbeugel wrote in post #17575644 (external link)
Yeah that comparison was geared more towards more and more competitors making their way into the market. I don't feel Elinchrom are nearly as innovative as they once were. If Buff had some sense he could dominate the UK market with ease. They rant and rave about their latest gear as if it's a world first ie new Eli heads and those Litemotivs

No argument from me, I don't understand why they don't complete the accessories for the Rotalux range or if that's considered a bad idea why not just abandon them entirely or go for a different range than Rotalux if they're not prepared to match their competitors?

They do look like they're in a bit of a mess, with LiteMotiv they've got 5 softbox lines, no current pack and head system outside of their portable kits but at least they replaced the style rx heads with a new monoblock which does do a few things to differentiate it from other heads on the market and gives a clear gap between the dlite, brx and elc pro hd lines.

There must have been some good reasons why PCB pulled out of International markets, I agree with you in regards to the UK, I see no reason why PCB couldn't get a good grip on the middle to low end of the market especially when you've got companies like Bowens increasing the price of their latest heads with the amazing addition of inbuilt radio triggering (which would have been impressive 10 years ago).

Studio lighting is a weird market.

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by dbeugel.

May 30, 2015 04:23 as a reply to  @ simonbarker's post |  #9863

Hey Simon!

It is a very weird market! I always feel like I've been robbed every time I buy a softbox! I was storing away the Bessel strip boxes the other day to fire on eBay, and as I was tearing it down I thought to myself, the build quality of this stuff is just as good as Elinchrom, I bought two new Bessel 160cm (i think) strips with mediocre grids for around £75 off of Amazon! It's just the stuff they use to 'whiten' the diffusion sheets that's way off the mark which is a shame as I was forever painting back in the correct hue in photoshop.

Well I opted in the end for the Rotalux 130x50 with Lighttools EZpop 50 degree. I'm going to buy one this week and another later on. The guy at The Flash Centre told me to open a business account with them, I just wish I'd done that before as it also means no deposits on rentals which is great. I might rent a PhaseOne and troll everyone on Facebook with my 'new purchase' !! ;)

studio460
97 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2015

May 30, 2015 19:27 |  #9864

hk-len wrote in post #17573074 (external link)
Hi All,

I am planning to purchase my first Elinchrom unit and had a few questions. I'd be very grateful for any help/advice.

1) Is the $999.99 price listed on Adorama for the "Ranger RX Speed AS" legitimate? Are there any catches to that? (Missing components, etc.?)

Buy quickly! Many of the 50% discounted Elinchrom products went right back up to near-MSRP pricing the Tuesday following Memorial Day. I missed out on a few accessory purchases by waiting, but I spent an ungodly amount of money during the short period the sale was active. I bought a ton of Elinchrom gear--it's all new stock, complete, and awesome! I assume Adorama bought-out the remaining Vistek inventory as Elinchrom transitions to their new distribution entity.

LEARN LIGHT LIGHTBASICS.COM (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 31, 2015 10:27 |  #9865

windpig wrote in post #17573603 (external link)
999.99 is a great price, I'd call Adorama and have them answer your questions regarding missing parts.....

....or message me: Helen@adorama.com

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 31, 2015 13:21 |  #9866

Hi Helen:-D

flickr (external link)

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by studio460. (3 edits in all)

May 31, 2015 19:34 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #9867

Hi Helen! Thanks to your recent Elinchrom sale, I'm all set! I was about to buy a Chinese-import, a Godox RS600P (poor man's Quadra) to upgrade my portable set-up. But having to order from a Hong Kong eBay seller, with unknown after-sales support and parts availability gave me pause. The Godox is a pretty good looking system (about $700 for the strobe and two Li-ion batteries), but I ordered a single-head Ranger Quadra 'S' set-up, spare Li-ion battery, and an ECO ringflash during your sale last week instead. Thanks, Adorama!

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by studio460.

Jun 01, 2015 06:44 |  #9868

I'm just now reading abbadon's "Quadra-killer" thread, so some of what I said above may be inaccurate. Finally, someone's nailed down all the facts about the Godox ES-600P/Cheetah CL-600 Quadra-like products (thank you, abbadon!).

studio460
97 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 4 years ago by studio460. (12 edits in all)

Jun 01, 2015 07:31 |  #9869

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Hybrid Li-ion:

I'm always a bit "iffy" about Li-ion battery packs since they're so damned finicky about proper maintenance (ideally, they like to be stored at about a 50% state-of-charge). This is my first substantial investment in a Li-ion system since my always-dying Vagabond Mini-Lithium batteries. That's the main reason I've been relying solely on SLA (sealed-lead acid) battery technology for all of my other packs (e.g., Quantum Turbos, Dynalite XP-1100s). SLAs are cheap, easy to source, and simple as heck to maintain (just keep 'em trickle-charged). So after just reading virtually the entire Quadra-killer thread, I dug into Elinchrom's website to find their Li-ion specs:

Quadra Hybrid Li-ion:
Output: 400Ws
16.8V; 3.3Ah
Capacity: 320 full-power flashes per charge.

Cheetah CL-600:
Output: 600Ws
12.8V; 8.0Ah
Capacity: 500 full-power flashes per charge.

A battery rated at only 3.3 Amp-hours isn't exactly a lot. Now, I did buy my Quadra set-up on sale, so even though the CL-600's specs beat Elinchrom's, it's a less dramatic comparison. One thing of note, however, and the primary reason I chose the Quadra, is for its ECO ringlight's potential suitability to HyperSync applications. Here's the t.1/t.5 values for the Elinchrom ECO ringlight:

Elinchrom ECO ringlight:
Maximum power: 1/600th (t=0.5); 1/300th (t=0.1); ['A' outlet].
Minimum power: 1/1,500th (t=0.5); 1/1,000th (t=0.1); ['A' outlet].

windpig
Chopped liver
14,900 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 01, 2015 08:02 |  #9870

PM me if you're interested in an Eco ring light.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,084,786 views & 98 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.