Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question About Posed Shots At Weddings

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 23:29 |  #1

This weekend I attended a wedding and took some pictures. One of which I've posted here: https://photography-on-the.net …?p=13399779&pos​tcount=553

I also posted on Facebook. A few mins ago, I received a message from the official wedding photographer asking me to remove the picture because it includes their posed shots. While it is understandable if I had taken the picture of their posed shots in whole, but in this picture the main subject is the child and their "posed" shot was simply the background. Am I in the wrong? Should I remove the picture? Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially from those that do weddings on a regular basis.

sponsored links
SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 14, 2011 23:47 |  #2

Wow. That's pretty full on that they're trying to police that image as one of their 'posed' shots.

I'd ignore it.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 23:56 |  #3

That's my thoughts too, Steve. I haven't replied or taken the image off yet. What should be my response? I don't think I'm wrong...

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Nov 14, 2011 23:57 |  #4

You can word it however you like, with regard to the focal point of your photo. You would not have gotten this shot if the photographer didn't set it up. You used his work to get your shot. As a wedding photographer, personally I wouldn't care, but he does and in my opinion you should remove it. Take pride in the challenge of creating your own work.

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 14, 2011 23:58 as a reply to  @ SOK's post |  #5

I'm lost.....the picture you posted is your picture? They want you to remove it because why?
First off if your invited to the wedding and you happen to be a photographer and take some shots as long as your not in there way or tying up the bride and groom....I'd say to the photog to deal with it. Your not making a dime and in fact that is their most special time in there life and if you capture something better then the Pro. O'well just my 2 cents worth.

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2011 01:16 |  #6

ootsk wrote in post #13401211 (external link)
You can word it however you like, with regard to the focal point of your photo. You would not have gotten this shot if the photographer didn't set it up. You used his work to get your shot. As a wedding photographer, personally I wouldn't care, but he does and in my opinion you should remove it. Take pride in the challenge of creating your own work.

I partially agree with what you've said, but if this picture was taken 1 min earlier with just the bridal party standing around would that have made a difference? It doesn't seem like it would have mattered considering the shot was of the boy looking at something interesting. On the same note, if the "posed" shot was further away in the distance would that matter?

I'm genuinely curious because wedding photography is something that greatly interests me.

Hollywoodgt wrote in post #13401218 (external link)
I'm lost.....the picture you posted is your picture? They want you to remove it because why?
First off if your invited to the wedding and you happen to be a photographer and take some shots as long as your not in there way or tying up the bride and groom....I'd say to the photog to deal with it. Your not making a dime and in fact that is their most special time in there life and if you capture something better then the Pro. O'well just my 2 cents worth.

Before the wedding ceremony I spoke to both the primary and secondary photographers and made it clear that if I got in their way at any time to let me know. Before the photographers left for the night, I spoke to them once again and asked if I had at any point in the night gotten in their way to which they replied and I quote: "Didn't even notice you were here."

That doesn't seem to matter too much though... if I'm wrong I want to why and I'll remove it immediately. But if I'm right, why should I bow for no reason? Maybe I'm just being stubborn... :(

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,861 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 15, 2011 01:24 |  #7

Just my .02, but it's your shot and I see no real need to remove it or respond.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

bsaber
THREAD ­ STARTER
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2011 03:39 |  #8

D Thompson wrote in post #13401427 (external link)
Just my .02, but it's your shot and I see no real need to remove it or respond.

Thanks for the input, Dennis.

And an update:

I replied to the photographer saying that I am not making any money off the image and it is only for my portfolio and asked what the reasoning for the request. The reply was along the lines of: 1) some photographers place in their contracts forbidding the taking of photos of posed shots, 2) although my main focus was on the child it still contains elements that they've created, and 3) that I am using the pictures for my portfolio and may start a business in wedding photography.

I haven't replied yet but it seems the request is unfounded (to me at least...). What does everyone else think?

After a lot of reading, I should mention that the bride and groom told the official photographer that I would be there for the purpose of attending the wedding AND to take pictures for my portfolio. They (the photographers) agreed so long as I stayed out of their way and as they have said themselves I did.

Arstine
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 15, 2011 04:42 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #9

You didn't sign a contract, and even the people that did informed them you would be there shooting.

They were told you were going to be getting portfolio shots.

You played nice and contacted the paid shooters before and after.

Your shot is not specifically of their "pose".

I wouldn't bother with any more contact. You didn't do anything wrong or go behind anyone's back.

Looks like the paid shooter is just chest thumping over a nice shot you got.

My camera says Canon and goes clickity clickity click.
My Flickr (external link)- (external link)Snapshots and fun pics go here.
http://www.photosbyjas​on.net (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 15, 2011 05:19 |  #10

Most wedding photographers know that when they set up a posed shot in a location with open access there will be people shooting over their shoulders. It is not pleasant, but it is a fact of life that they have to accept. Most of the time the unofficial shooters use phones or P&Ss and the pro consoles himself with the fact that they are making crappy and limited-use photos. When somebody produces better quality images and then shares them on the web, they can't suddenly begin objecting.

Elie / אלי

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Nov 15, 2011 05:26 |  #11

My guess is that the paid shooter was shooting this from an entirely different angle than you therefore it is not "His" posed shot.

You could tell him that next time you pinch his pose you will try and get them in focus :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 15, 2011 05:42 |  #12

bsaber wrote in post #13401140 (external link)
...because it includes their posed shots.

What! he was taking a shot of the back of their heads? :rolleyes:

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 15, 2011 05:58 |  #13

I wouldn't even bother replying to him... not worth the time unless it is to say "take a long walk... by the way there is a short bridge over there".

That is your shot and there were no restrictions on you taking it... end of matter.

Peter

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 15, 2011 07:02 |  #14

I bet you didn't sign a contract with the photographer.

My response to him would probably include the phrases: "Stuff it" & "Sue me"

Kevin

Gear List

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,213 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 15, 2011 08:01 |  #15

I agree with the rest, I would leave it up. I can't believe that the paid shooter actually took time (wonder how long it took to search for it anyway) to find your particular photo. Is he going to scour Facebook, Flickr, and MySpace too? And the fact that you really can't really recognize ANYONE in the photo... just blows my mind that he would even worry about it.

For anyone looking at your site, they wouldn't know if that picture was taken in California, here in Michigan, or in Cancun if they didn't know where it was taken or were at the wedding. As someone already pointed out, often there are others shooting over your shoulder when you do posed shots anyway, I know I have when I have shot weddings, and I don't care as long as they don't get in my way. And it's not like it is a "unique" pose, it is basically the same "pose" either staged or real-time, that you would see at most weddings, the bride and groom getting into a vehicle. It is the bride and grooms day, and they invited these people, let them get all the photos and memories they want.

The fact that you talked to them before and after the event shows your professionalism, they need to show theirs by not being so petty about one unconsequential (to them) photo.

Michael
Gear List

sponsored links

3,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question About Posed Shots At Weddings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.