Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 05:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85L - why did you sell yours?

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2011 05:10 |  #1

This is a questions for 85L past users - what is the honest reason on why you sold your lens? What did not work for you?

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 15, 2011 05:15 |  #2

I audited my photos and realized that I almost never used the lens below f/2 and most often at f/2.8 or higher. So fundamentally the lens was redundant with my 70-200/2.8L II.

What I have learned for me is that I am more likely to use very fast apertures at focal lengths between 24mm and 50mm. With these shorter focal lengths I'm often composing a shot that is loose enough to both need and want the kind of DOF one gets at faster than f/2. At 85mm and more I'm usually composing a shot more tightly framed and the DOF is not adequate at f/2 or faster.

I'll give you a short example (this is using the 50L, but it works fine to illustrate). Most of the time I will take pictures of people from a fairly narrow range of distances. I'll use a wider lens to compose loosely and a longer lens to compose more tightly. If, on the other hand, you 'zoom with your feet' using a fast prime and a large aperture then the attached images show what happens. The first image is loose and the DOF is fine at below f/2. The second image is tighter, and not OK. Since I'm generally using longer focal lengths for tighter shots, I don't often need long + super fast at the same time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Greenjacket6202
203 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2011 05:49 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #3

I sold mine yesterday with a very heavy heart.

I had it for a very short while and loved it. Unfortunately, I found it too heavy to use for prolonged use! I Beautiful ,beautiful lens!

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 15, 2011 07:33 |  #4

I haven't. I wouldn't.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

dennykyser
966 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 15, 2011 07:33 as a reply to  @ Greenjacket6202's post |  #5

I found with the 70-200 2.8L IS II, I seldom used the 85. any more.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2011 07:39 |  #6

dennykyser wrote in post #13402061 (external link)
I found with the 70-200 2.8L IS II, I seldom used the 85. any more.

I was thinking to add 85L to the lens you mentioned. Not worth it?

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

dennykyser
966 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 15, 2011 07:49 |  #7

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13402077 (external link)
I was thinking to add 85L to the lens you mentioned. Not worth it?

I did many tests and just could not see enough of a difference to justify keeping the 85L

I know shooting wide open gives some great bokeh, but if not careful was too much and really pushing it with paying customers.

I am happy with my decision, the version II is amazing IMO.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 15, 2011 07:50 |  #8

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13401782 (external link)
This is a questions for 85L past users - what is the honest reason on why you sold your lens? What did not work for you?

Alex - just buy the lens already mate!

Thread after thread of this... cmon man - you know you want it, just do it.

FWIW I own both and I will never ever let my 85L go. EVER!

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2011 08:13 as a reply to  @ m.shalaby's post |  #9

I also went from 85L to 70-200 II. Too often I found myself looking at the photos from the 85L and thinking "I should have stopped down more". Then I started to shoot f/2 and above with it. Once I did that, I realized that I can get the same bokeh, colors and contrast with the zoom but also gain speed and accuracy plus a ton of flexibility. Never once did I regret my decision. In fact, I call this "lesson learned".

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 15, 2011 08:19 |  #10

lol. now i want the 70-200 2.8 II IS

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 15, 2011 08:34 |  #11

pixel_junkie wrote in post #13402185 (external link)
I also went from 85L to 70-200 II. Too often I found myself looking at the photos from the 85L and thinking "I should have stopped down more". Then I started to shoot f/2 and above with it. Once I did that, I realized that I can get the same bokeh, colors and contrast with the zoom but also gain speed and accuracy plus a ton of flexibility. Never once did I regret my decision. In fact, I call this "lesson learned".

I totally hear what your saying. With all of the great attributes its has, my only beef with the 70-200 (in terms of trying to mimic the 85L) is this:

To get an 85L @ f2.0 look, you have to shoot at 170-200mm at f2.8

For what I do, shooting at such a far FL makes composition much more difficult. With the 85L, I can make small changes (step slightly forward/backward or to the side, kneel slighly down, etc...).

With the 70-200 at a 170mm-200mm, you have to make large changes (large steps forward/backward/side to side, lay down in stead of kneeling down, etc... overall, a lot more effort to compose a similar framing as the 85L, along with the heft/size and shouting distance from model.)

Ease of composition is invaluable for the work I do.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 15, 2011 08:48 |  #12

I'm VERY tempted to try out the Sigma 85 as a possible replacement for my 85L mkII. I know that a good copy of the Sigma is every bit as good as the Canon.

That said, I just can't seem to bring myself to even contemplate doing this. The 85L is just so awesome.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

pixel_junkie
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2011 08:50 |  #13

m.shalaby wrote in post #13402262 (external link)
Ease of composition is invaluable for the work I do.

Key words "what YOU do". Exactly, it is all still very much a personal prefference based on personal needs. That's why you can get some ideas for a certain lens or FL but at the end you have to decide for yourself - you.

BUT, I only changed the lens, not what I shoot or my style and I am yet to feel inconvenienced in any way with the zoom. So in theory, the 85L should have some advantage but in real world (for me) its the other way around.

About the weight, I'm used to the 85L on the 5D. Yah, it is a hefty combo but nowhere near a problem. Now I'm holding a little less than a pound on top of that. Can never be a reason not to be enjoying the 70-200.

Website (external link) | Blog (external link)

Dimitris
302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 15, 2011 09:11 |  #14

I sold mine because I found dof at f1.2-2.0 very thin to work with. I moved to the Zeiss 100mm which is sharper and has better colors since. Its also lighter and more flexible.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 15, 2011 09:15 |  #15

I would only sell mine to fund a 500L. Otherwise you'd have to take it from my cold dead hands.

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

sponsored links

39,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L - why did you sell yours?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.