Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 05:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85L - why did you sell yours?

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,148 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 17, 2011 04:50 |  #46

Might sell my 85L II for 200 f/2L, even I only use 85L on weekend.

85L II, let amateur piss pro off by talking how good their bokeh, but nothing else ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

sponsored links
Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 17, 2011 04:56 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

I have used the 85L II once. The only thing that felt special about it was the bokeh at f1.2. But getting the focus where you want it, is not a piece of cake.

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 05:05 |  #48

jdizzle wrote in post #13412035 (external link)
Alex, just spend the darn 2k and buy it already! :lol:You won't be disappointed in this lens. You've seen the samples in the archive and the photographers that know how to use this lens.

This is the trick - but please do not get me wrong and do not get offended.
I went through the thread and the reason I started thread on this is because I saw that either people do not use the lens properly (only 0.01 of an inch is sharp and in focus) or they just pick the F/1.2 only because they can and never think how to approach the scene properly.

Most of the photographs in the thread rather say something negative about the lens vs positive.

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,148 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 17, 2011 05:11 as a reply to  @ Ferrari_Alex's post |  #49

Go to check out 70-200 II and 50L threads, more jokers there ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2011 05:13 |  #50

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13412080 (external link)
I went through the thread and the reason I started thread on this is because I saw that either people do not use the lens properly (only 0.01 of an inch is sharp and in focus) or they just pick the F/1.2 only because they can and never think how to approach the scene properly.

Most of the photographs in the thread rather say something negative about the lens vs positive.

Heh....that's my opinion as well. About half the time there is a thread about the 85L, somebody feels obligated to post a tightly framed portrait at f/1.2 with 90% of the subject all smeared to hell.

And then they say 'Get the 85L 'cause it goes to f/1.2 beeeeeyotch!':rolleyes:

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 17, 2011 05:31 |  #51

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13412080 (external link)

Well, that's a preference of one user to the next. You know about distance to subject when using a lens wide open. I've seen people post flower shots at f 1.2 and people think that's cool but, whatever, right? :lol: The biggest pet peeve of mine with this lens is shooting one eye and the other one is OOF. ;) The only negative I have with this lens is it's slow focus. On a 5Dc/5D II it's veeeeery slow to focus! Especially, in the outer points. If you can live with that, this lens is for you. The reason why I love my 85 L MK II is that it rocks on the 1Ds III with it's AF. 1D AF has the edge with this lens if you want it focus quicker. My 2 cents. ;)

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 07:08 |  #52

I understand what you mean and you are trying to say that there is no objective truth. Maybe...but maybe not. There are some rules in design, some rules in composition and it is pretty much logically explained why you do something and you do not do something else.

When you go through the 85L images thread and you approach photographs from their artistic qualities, you will see that this is the "I do F/1.2 because I can" while not thinking about the composition, the message and etc

So yes, if we are talking about the bokeh - the lens is great!
That was never my question, though....

jdizzle wrote in post #13412131 (external link)
Well, that's a preference of one user to the next. You know about distance to subject when using a lens wide open. I've seen people post flower shots at f 1.2 and people think that's cool but, whatever, right? :lol: The biggest pet peeve of mine with this lens is shooting one eye and the other one is OOF. ;) The only negative I have with this lens is it's slow focus. On a 5Dc/5D II it's veeeeery slow to focus! Especially, in the outer points. If you can live with that, this lens is for you. The reason why I love my 85 L MK II is that it rocks on the 1Ds III with it's AF. 1D AF has the edge with this lens if you want it focus quicker. My 2 cents. ;)

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

JeffreyG
15,540 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2011 07:20 |  #53

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13412266 (external link)
I understand what you mean and you are trying to say that there is no objective truth. Maybe...but maybe not. There are some rules in design, some rules in composition and it is pretty much logically explained why you do something and you do not do something else.

When you go through the 85L images thread and you approach photographs from their artistic qualities, you will see that this is the "I do F/1.2 because I can" while not thinking about the composition, the message and etc

Right. I could forget to remove the lens cap and try to spin it as art, but the truth is that all black frames are artistically poor. Inadequate DOF is also artistically poor and (I suspect) a result of the 'gee whiz' factor of a fast prime.

The problem is that anybody with 2 grand to spend can easily reproduce your 'style' of blurry subjects if they want to.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 17, 2011 07:27 |  #54

I would stretch that thought to say that f1.2 is usually an excuse for not positioning/framing your subject against a background that would aid the composition and interest of the subject. An image does not just contain a main subject. There is foreground and background, also.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
15,540 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 17, 2011 07:56 |  #55

bohdank wrote in post #13412302 (external link)
I would stretch that thought to say that f1.2 is usually an excuse for not positioning/framing your subject against a background that would aid the composition and interest of the subject. An image does not just contain a main subject. There is foreground and background, also.

If you look at the iconic and well known portrait work of the past century, rarely are the subjects framed by a smear of color. Great portraits put people in meaningful or beautiful scenes. That said, sometimes you do need to blur a background for a shot. Just don't think buying a fast lens suddenly makes you a photographic genius.

I was guilty of this myself for a long time. I'd shoot at f/1.2 and when a relative would ask why the subject was blurry too I'd roll my eyes. Didn't they know super thin DOF was totally cool?

Now I realize that a smeared background at f/1.2 is no more artistic than Olan Mills shooting in front of a muslin at f/11. And at least Olan Mills could get the customer in focus.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 17, 2011 08:03 |  #56

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13412266 (external link)

I understand your post and to answer frankly, I would not sell this lens. I love it for what it does when I'm shooting a gig/wedding. It is truly one of my work horse lenses along with 24 TS-E MK II, 35 L, and 70-200 MK II. Most people who sell this lens know it has a good return to purchase other lenses/other gear. Also, other people find it too heavy, too slow to AF, replace it with a 85 1.8 (Jeffrey ;)), or not a fan of the FL. I remember one user on this forum that complained about soft images bcoz' that individual blamed it on the lens when in fact it was the user. So, there are numerous reasons why people would sell it.

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 17, 2011 08:09 |  #57

JeffreyG wrote in post #13412379 (external link)
If you look at the iconic and well known portrait work of the past century, rarely are the subjects framed by a smear of color. Great portraits put people in meaningful or beautiful scenes. That said, sometimes you do need to blur a background for a shot. Just don't think buying a fast lens suddenly makes you a photographic genius.

I was guilty of this myself for a long time. I'd shoot at f/1.2 and when a relative would ask why the subject was blurry too I'd roll my eyes. Didn't they know super thin DOF was totally cool?

Now I realize that a smeared background at f/1.2 is no more artistic than Olan Mills shooting in front of a muslin at f/11. And at least Olan Mills could get the customer in focus.

There is truth to that bcoz' when we purhcase a lens like this, we automatically want to shoot it wide open. I was guilty of this too until I got sick of using it at wide apertures. Normally, in a low lit room, I'm shooting this lens at f2 and down. :)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2011 08:20 |  #58

JeffreyG wrote in post #13409678 (external link)
Waiting for these lenses to focus is like the difference between waiting on two women to get ready to go out for the evening (Mark I) and waiting on one woman to get ready to go out for the evening (Mark II).

Both take forever, but may be worth the wait.

;)

Actually, I find that the 85LmkII is only slow going from MFD to infinity, or back. But if you're in the right 'range', the focus is very snappy. I've shot many fast-moving children with the 85, and I've never wished the AF was faster. What's more important to me than AF speed is the fact that the 85 hardly ever hunts for focus, even on a 5D2 which (apparently) is notorious for poor AF performance with fast primes. My Sigma 50 hunts much more than my 85L.

I couldn't imagine using a MF 85 to shoot what I do. For posed photos, sure. But for anything moving (especially kids, who can't sit still even for 2 seconds), I need AF.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2011 08:25 |  #59

bohdank wrote in post #13412302 (external link)

Using f/1.2 should be an artistic choice. There are loads of people out there (myself included) for whom shallow DoF is often part of what we're trying to achieve. Sergio Mottola, for instance, is a guy who uses his fast primes wide open or nearly wide open (mainly the 35L and 24L in Sergio's case, I believe), and achieves a very particular look with it.

If I'm shooting a standard family portrait, then I'm at f/5.6 or smaller. But for the look I'm trying to achieve, I'm often at < f/2.0. And I choose my backgrounds wisely, irrespective of f/stop.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 17, 2011 08:30 |  #60

JonK wrote in post #13402058 (external link)
I haven't. I wouldn't.

This. It's by far one of my most used lenses.

I also have the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but never use it.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

40,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L - why did you sell yours?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.