I was just thinking about this and there are IMPORT Settings in Windows Photo Gallery that can mess with this.
1. Do one of the following:
• Connect a camera to your computer by using the camera's USB cable, and then turn on the camera.
2. In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, click Import pictures and videos using Windows.
3. To change the settings that are used when importing pictures and videos, click Import settings in the Import Pictures and Videos dialog box.
4. Change one or more settings in the Import Settings dialog box, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to restart Import Pictures and Videos. Type a tag in the Tag these pictures (optional) box, and then click Import to import your pictures and videos using the new settings.