Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with DPI issue

ducklabdad
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 15, 2011 14:56 |  #1

I have just noticed that when I downloaded some pictures from my 2 cameras 1 XSi, 1 XS that they are all downloading at 72dpi.

Cameras are set for High quality jpeg. Why would they be downloading at that low a DPI.

I am downloading into Windows Photo Gallery!!

Why would this be happening and what can I do to fix this?

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
ScottGCanon
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 15, 2011 15:03 |  #2

What do you mean by "Downloading"? Are you taking out the Memory card from the camera, and putting in a reader on your computer to copy over?

ScottGCanon

ScottGCanon
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 15, 2011 15:23 |  #3

I was just thinking about this and there are IMPORT Settings in Windows Photo Gallery that can mess with this.

1. Do one of the following:
• Connect a camera to your computer by using the camera's USB cable, and then turn on the camera.
2. In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, click Import pictures and videos using Windows.
3. To change the settings that are used when importing pictures and videos, click Import settings in the Import Pictures and Videos dialog box.
4. Change one or more settings in the Import Settings dialog box, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to restart Import Pictures and Videos. Type a tag in the Tag these pictures (optional) box, and then click Import to import your pictures and videos using the new settings.

ScottGCanon

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 15, 2011 15:27 |  #4

The dpi in an image has no relevance to it's quality, it only applies when you choose to print it. 72 is the standard monitor dpi and has no effect on the image IQ. For example if you have an image that is say 3000x2000 if you print that at 300dpi (considered good for print quality) you would get a 10"x 6.5" print, print it at 150dpi and you get a 20" x 13". The distance a print is viewed at also affects what dpi you can get away with. Peering extremely close up will show though but who looks at prints like that! If you can see 75dpi at four feet I would be seriously impressed, so you could be looking at your prints in an impressive 40" x 27" mind you the printer will cost a bit :D

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 15, 2011 15:27 |  #5

DPI means nothing, Canon just defaults to 72. Look at how many pixels you have on each side, that sets the real dpi when you print.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 15, 2011 16:15 |  #6

Thanks for the response,

Yes I do mean placing the memory card in the reader and importing.
When I do as instructed I do not get an Import Settings for windows I am getting the list of systems that can be used to download that are on my computer including the Eos utility, Photoshop Elements and Windows but Windows does not give ma any selections.

Just an "ole dog" trying to learn "new tricks"! helpful advice is always welcome!!

Canon 7d, Canon XS/ XSi,18-55, 14-40 L, 70-300, and Bigmos! my"work in progress" http://ducklabdad.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

ducklabdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 15, 2011 16:17 |  #7

just concerned as I was about to print some 8x10's and in the past I have always printed then at 300dpi and was just surprised to see 72 on everything!! kinda had me in a panic!!

jack880
Goldmember
2,852 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 15, 2011 16:32 |  #8

If the image is 4272 pixels wide, printing at 10" wide will give you a theoretical printed resolution of 427 dpi, so if the printer prints a lower dpi than that it's the printer not the camera that's limiting the resolution...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (as if I need to ask).....

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, G7X II, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2, DJI Mavic Air

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Nov 15, 2011 16:42 |  #9

DPI stands for dots per inch.... The dots are the pixels in the image and the inches are real world physical inches.

DPI is obtained by dividing the pixels by the inches. That's all there is to it.

What confuses most people about DPI is that they don't realize it's about inches and pixels and it's not some hypothetical figure of merit.

Next time you open an image in your favorite editor and call up the image size window.. look at the Pixels and the Inches as well as the DPI.. You'll see that the reported DPI will ALWAYS be the pixels divided by the inches. It's mathematically impossible for DPI to be anything else.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 15, 2011 16:58 |  #10

As said above, the i in dpi stands for inches. You only have inches when you have a print. Did the camera designer know what size print you will make? Of course not. So the final dpi is unknown. But the EXIF standard requires that the field be filled and that if the actual dpi is unknown the value entered be 72 (for outmoded historical reasons). So Canon writes 72 there. Other makers realize that 72 doesn't sound very impressive and write bigger numbers, but whatever the number is, it is arbitrary and irrelevant.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links

959 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with DPI issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.