Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio strobe and 600D, early trigger :(

marcwilliams88
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:27 |  #1

Hey all

I am trying to trigger a studio strobe with the 600D flash or a wireless speedlite430exII

In both cases, and with both flash outputs set to manual, the camera still fires the flash twice, once before the shutter opens, and once to expose.

why is it still firing twice if I haven't selected E-TTL II mode? this double flash is obviously triggering the strobe early.

Any work arounds? I do have a set of cheep wireless triggers, but this would mean loosing the built in functionality of the 600D to wirelessly trigger the speedlite, plus I dont want to buy a hotshoe sync for the wireless trigger.

Hot Picsel Photography | Portfolio here... (external link)
flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-70 f/4L | EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM | EF 70-200 f/4L | Full kit list

...the camera takes an image, imagination makes the photograph

sponsored links
bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:42 |  #2

What are you using to trigger the off camera strobes?

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:48 |  #3

ideally, the off camera strobe would be triggered by flash and the speedlite by wireless from the 600D.

flickr (external link) | Canon EOS 7D | EF 24-70 f/4L | EF-S 24 f/2.8 STM | EF 70-200 f/4L | Full kit list

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:48 |  #4

Nevermind, I skipped it in your post. I don't believe you can disable the preflash in the t3i. I don't onw one but I do recall reading that before. Your best bet may be a wireless remote trigger.

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:51 |  #5

3rd party wireless triggers all round you think?

shame you cant disable the pre-flash, surely it has no function if you are setting manual power to both the on camera and any remote speedlites?

I may try a blackout clip over the on camera flash....

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:55 |  #6

marcwilliams88 wrote in post #13409536 (external link)
3rd party wireless triggers all round you think?

shame you cant disable the pre-flash, surely it has no function if you are setting manual power to both the on camera and any remote speedlites?

I may try a blackout clip over the on camera flash....

The on camera flash is what triggers the remote flash. What you could do is try to lower the power and sort of flag off the slave of the studio flash and the flash on camera to a point where the it won't trigger the studio strobe but will trigger the 430. Probably impossible to do in a small room, though.

You could get away with one remote on the 430. In tight enough quarters it will trigger the other one, but I'd get one for each eventually.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 16, 2011 16:59 |  #7

I thought of something else that might work as well.........I can't test it so it's only theory. Compose your shot, hit the FEL button which will fire a pre-flash and fire your strobes. Wait long enough for your strobes to recycle then take your shot. I know that with my 5DII and 580EX II, it doesn't fire another pre-flash.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2011 16:59 |  #8

You cant disable or retard the preflash as thats what fires the 430ex. Wireless triggers are your best bet, or put the 430ex in the hotshoe and set it to M mode so there is no preflash.

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 16, 2011 17:03 |  #9

Thanks all, the 600D has inbuilt wireless (like the 5D) to trigger the speed lights. Just so you're aware, this is a new function compared to the 550D (T2i)

Just did a quick test by blocking the on camera flash (using an ipod sock), the inbuilt wireless successfully triggered the 430exII and the subsequent flash from that triggered the studio strobe.

for the moment I have a work around

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 16, 2011 17:47 |  #10

When you switch the Canon flashes to manual you eliminate the pre-flash that is used for metering the flash power. You still have a pre-flash pulse to command the slave to fire. If you strobe has the option to ignore the first pulse and fire on the second you might get it to work that way.
Personally just get wireless triggers and end the problem.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,212 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 17, 2011 09:48 |  #11

marcwilliams88 wrote in post #13409584 (external link)
Thanks all, the 600D has inbuilt wireless (like the 5D) to trigger the speed lights. Just so you're aware, this is a new function compared to the 550D (T2i)

Just did a quick test by blocking the on camera flash (using an ipod sock), the inbuilt wireless successfully triggered the 430exII and the subsequent flash from that triggered the studio strobe.

for the moment I have a work around

we were aware, but it still uses a preflash to communicate with the 430ex, its not a radio trigger. I'm glad you found a workaround, but that might be less successful if you have to move your lights or you are setup in a room where the preflash bounces off surrounding surfaces to the strobes trigger.

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 17, 2011 09:52 |  #12

marcwilliams88 wrote in post #13409584 (external link)
Thanks all, the 600D has inbuilt wireless (like the 5D) to trigger the speed lights.

This might be a typo but the 5D does not even have a popup flash, much less flash control capability.
At this point only the T3i, the 7D and the 60D have this feature.

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 17, 2011 17:25 |  #13

dedsen wrote in post #13412834 (external link)
This might be a typo but the 5D does not even have a popup flash, much less flash control capability.
At this point only the T3i, the 7D and the 60D have this feature.

Thank you for the correction. :)

marcwilliams88
THREAD ­ STARTER
407 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 17, 2011 17:27 |  #14

And the fruits of my labour (work around)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6103/6355285593_7bcefb320b_z.jpg

you'll be glad to know, wireless triggers are on order as a more permanent fix.

sponsored links

4,224 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio strobe and 600D, early trigger :(
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.