Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Sirui T1004x Tripod and Sirui G20 Ballhead

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 17:51 |  #1

I recently bought a Sirui T1004x Tripod and a G20 ballhead after hunting high and low for something around the $200ish range that could hold up my setup decently and was lightweight. (http://siruicanada.com (external link))

So here's a pic of the setup:
-Sirui T1004x Tripod collapsed backwards with a G20 ballhead
-Padded Sirui tripod bag with padded strap (included)
-A Thinktank Retrospective 20 in the back for size comparison.
- Total cost $110 for legs & $99 for ballhead in CAD dollars

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CxMYUBDv7gM/TsWZCvohXPI/AAAAAAAAKMY/q-byiaUNDM8/s800/_MG_5075-Web.jpg
Gee, that brand name symbol sure looks like some other tripod company's....

Specs:
- Tripod - Max height: 1.4m, Min height: 13.5cm, Max supported weight: 22lbs
- Ballhead - Max supported weight: 44lbs
- Total system weight: 3.31lbs, Minimum system length: 17".

T1004x Tripod comes with:
- Grooved long center column, with spring-loaded weight hook
- Grooved short center column. Can be used on its own or used as an extension of the long center column.
- Reversible ballhead mounting screw.
- Padded bag, strap, allen keys and 6 year warranty.

Short center column: (Note the non-removable screw at the bottom, used to extend the long center column. Downside is that the short center column can slide out the top since there's nothing stopping it. A visit to the local hardware store should be able to fix this by attaching a nut to that silver screw. Unfortunately, there's also no way of attaching the weight hook to the short column either. :( )
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WdH9EiiCaU0/TsWZDDuSWfI/AAAAAAAAKMo/YNoUSxbkzlQ/s800/_MG_5081-Web.jpg

Long center column with short center column attached on top as height extension:
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K8Wckg_744A/TsWZDKJ6odI/AAAAAAAAKMs/faR8667eQNs/s800/_MG_5082-Web.jpg

The tripod legs can be opened further for low to the ground shots. Alternatively you can reverse the long center column:
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mkTLdsApNYQ/TsWZDiXzlBI/AAAAAAAAKM8/I3_qUKP_gXY/s800/_MG_5086-Web.jpg

There are also two additional screws that keep the ballhead base plate and the ballhead firmly in place.
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z7q7bdjTY8Y/TsWZEJCCg0I/AAAAAAAAKNc/kiqWidO2lN8/s640/_MG_5090-Web.jpg

For all of the hex screws that you see above, the tripod comes with a full set of allen keys. The padded tripod bag has a slot inside to tuck away these tools and the warranty card.

The tripod has silicon twist locks to release the legs similar to Gitzo. The business end on this T1004x model has rubber feet only. Other Sirui models with thicker legs will have a retractable rubber feet that reveals a spike foot.
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MI2mmsxAfIs/TsWZES7AqqI/AAAAAAAAKNM/CvaVOJAL44Q/s800/_MG_5091-Web.jpg

Overall this tripod is pretty sturdy and for its weight, it can hold up a lot. It is lighter than comparable Manfrottos and the available weight hook compensates for this fact. There's very little flex and seems to absorb vibration well. Here's a shot of a D200 w/ SB800 & 18-200 and my Retro 20. (Yes, I normally shoot with a Canon, but how am I going to shoot with it if it's on the tripod? Please don't revoke my membership!)

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_Rc8Hv1iWKw/TsWZBgzXprI/AAAAAAAAKL4/4YvQbHeJFH0/s640/_MG_5109-Web.jpg

Next up is the G20 ballhead.

Photography is the art of exclusion

sponsored links
dsit995
527 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 17, 2011 18:07 |  #2

That looks like a great tripod, I just checked out their shop and they are very reasonably priced... very nice!

Canon 5D MkII | T2i | 35L | 24-105 IS L | 70-200L | 100L | 17-40L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 430EX II
5∞ (external link) | GEAR & FeedBack | flickr (external link)

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 18:09 |  #3

G20 Ballhead comes with:
- Arca Swiss type QR plate with backup safety catch.
- Panning lock, adjustable friction, ball lock, bubble level.
- 6 year warranty.

I bought the G20 because the local store was out of G10. The G10 has a slightly lower weight rating at 40lbs instead of 44lbs and weighs a little less and is maybe $10 cheaper.

Here's a shot of it. See those two little red thingys on the QR plate? More on that later.

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-19Rqf4Dg3X4/TsWZET1q8vI/AAAAAAAAKNQ/oZhM8gXsCLQ/s800/_MG_5094-Web.jpg
3 separate knobs:
- panning lock, great for panoramas
- adjustable friction, to keep your camera system from flopping about even if the ball lock is released. Also useful to prevent your camera from drooping when you're tightening the ball lock once your shot is set up.
- ball lock

And beneath the QR plate is a little red push button. This prevents the QR plate from completely sliding out even if the QR plate clamp is loosened by mistake.
IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XFB_XpVC9uA/TsWZAoLpGsI/AAAAAAAAKLk/RT9aKCOSuks/s640/_MG_5095-Web.jpg

One missing feature is a nice bubble level. There is a small bubble level which can only be seen if the QR plate is removed.
IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-M0oimjC-lGQ/TsWZAxgV3xI/AAAAAAAAKLo/AmWbQbHis_c/s400/_MG_5098-Web.jpg

Overall the ballhead seems well built. I've used my XTi, 70-200 f4 IS and 430EX2 in portrait mode without a tripod collar. There's no droop or movement and the ballhead takes it well. Of course there's a lot of weight on one side so I'd recommend using the weight hook on the tripod. What about the camera rotating on the QR plate when in portrait mode? Oh alright, since you asked nicely.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mrDkdnIoyc8/TsWZBKDupnI/AAAAAAAAKLs/w9qTB4AoEac/s640/_MG_5102-Web.jpg

The two little red tabs on the QR plate can be pushed up against the camera body or a tripod collar to keep the whole system from rotating. Unfortunately, they are made from plastic and are probably less sturdy than those specifically designed for the camera like other Arca Swiss plates. But it does its job and fits all kinds of camera since the mounting screw can slide back and forth.

The final downside is this type of QR plate requires you to slide the whole plate in/out. However you can dovetail it but still requires tightening the screw - It's just not quite as fast as Manfrotto QR system.

Overall thoughts:
- This system offers a LOT of bang for the buck.
- Many of the features are a knockoff of Gitzo, Benro and Arca Swiss features.
- The reduced weight makes CF tripods a distant memory for me. Only you can decide if you want an even lighter setup.
- It's small enough to rival the Benro Travel Angels.
- Six year warranty and a service center in Canada is just an added peace of mind.
- Taller folks or people requiring clearance may want to look at their other models like N2204.

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 18:22 |  #4

Oh, and Sirui also took Gitzo's padded bag and made the strap removable so you can carry the tripod as follows. The strap just wraps around the feet, pull it off and you can open up the tripod in a heartbeat. A good compromise between shoulder carrying and speed.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S75RTrk6dng/TsWZCPrGljI/AAAAAAAAKMM/FXWlg1bMvls/s640/_MG_5115-Web.jpg

trossite
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2011 19:00 |  #5

Wow what a great coincidence that you just posted this. I've been looking at getting my first tripod and my dad sent me a link to their site.

I really like the features and the weight of this tripod and ball head. The only thing that concerns me is the height of it.
From the website's specs it seems like it's pretty short even with the center column fully extended.

What is your opinion on the height? and Is the height worth compromising on to get such a light weight tripod?

Canon T2i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Canon 35mm f/2

trossite
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2011 19:15 |  #6

Sorry one more thing I wanted to ask. I really haven't been to a store to look at tripods yet, but had a question on aluminum vs. carbon fiber.

I know that carbon fiber is much lighter, but i see some pretty light aluminum tripods out there such as this one.
How is the strength of it? It's not a thin aluminum that could bend because it is much lighter is it?

Forgive me if this is a very newb question.

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 19:18 |  #7

I find that weight to be one of the highest items on my desire list but at the same time, I don't want to dive in the price range of the CF. The other thing is, I'm only 5'7", so this tripod is a decent height for me. A taller tripod would also mean longer folded length or one more section and slightly weaker. All in all, this tripod was a nice compromise for me.

But as I was shopping around and trying out different tripods, I came to the conclusion that well, we run around with multiple lenses to achieve different effects, why not tripod? I don't think there's going to be that one magical tripod that can do everything to our liking. This may not be the last pair of legs I get... hahaha :)

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 17, 2011 19:22 |  #8

Here's there other site that shows all of their tripods
http://www.zssirui.com​/EN/Default_En.aspx (external link)

Also good to know that their K series head actually have a bubble level.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 19:22 |  #9

trossite wrote in post #13415203 (external link)
Sorry one more thing I wanted to ask. I really haven't been to a store to look at tripods yet, but had a question on aluminum vs. carbon fiber.

I know that carbon fiber is much lighter, but i see some pretty light aluminum tripods out there such as this one.
How is the strength of it? It's not a thin aluminum that could bend because it is much lighter is it?

Forgive me if this is a very newb question.

I'm no expert on construction, but the way I tested it was I loaded it up with my gear and hung some weight to it. I used a Lowepro backpack with a 6lb laptop as the weight.
Check to see if the legs flexed and they didn't seem to give at all. I even pushed down on tripod a bit with my own weight and it seemed sturdy enough for me. I had a Slik Sprint Pro tripod, that was a really light aluminium - the legs were thin and yes it would flex. My wife dropped it and it broke, so obviously it failed the wife test ;)

I'm honestly not sure how else I could test it save for the "DigitalRev soccer free kick tripod test and hold up this table with 2 iMacs test."

Capeachy
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 17, 2011 19:25 |  #10

boingy wrote in post #13415229 (external link)
Here's there other site that shows all of their tripods
http://www.zssirui.com​/EN/Default_En.aspx (external link)

Also good to know that their K series head actually have a bubble level.

Yes, my friend bought a K30x the same day I bought my system. He's on a 5dmk2 gripped with 70-200 IS ii and he thanked me for introducing the ballhead to him because it just saved him a whole load of cash from having to buy an L-bracket.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 01, 2012 18:47 |  #11

Thanks for the review...and finally solving the Mystery of the Red Tabs for me haha!!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

trossite
129 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2012 20:52 |  #12

I'm not going to be able to add much, but i did end up getting the G20 ball head and the T1004x legs and absolutely love them.

They are nice and light can pretty much hold anything, they feel really well made.
I'm really happy with this purchase for my first tripod and don't see needing to replace anytime soon.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 21, 2012 10:47 |  #13

Thanks for the review. I'm adding this to my wish list.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

sponsored links

26,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Sirui T1004x Tripod and Sirui G20 Ballhead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.