Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 18, 2011 07:04 |  #16

The online places that I usually order from are B&H, Amazon and Adorama...in that order. They are top notch and have always given me good services and products. I've used Abe's a couple times and had bad experiences both times so I will not be using them again....I feel your pain. That's unacceptable.

Anyway, hope you get this sorted out and your shoot goes well.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,802 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2011 07:21 |  #17

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1105758

The above link is a thread I started after ordering something from them. Their customer support/service is nonexistent to say the least. From now on it's either B&H Photo or Adorama getting my business.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2011 07:38 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #18

I'm at a shoot now, so I'm on my phone replying. I second shoot as well as do my own shoots. When I second shoot I have to hand in my cards and get them back later. Usually they trade me but they didn't have any cards to replace my own this time. So it put me in a bad spot, hence why I ordered another card.

It looks like I'm not the only, first or second or even third person to have this exact problem with Abes, therefore I don't see this as dragging them through the mud for no reason. I called Abes this morning and they weren't open yet. They messed up. No matter what they try to do to fix it now, it doesnt get me a card in time for either shoot. The first card I ordered was expedited shipping to get here in time. If you think about it, it doesn't matter if I needed it right away or not. The fact is they sent me a dirty, damaged, used item. That's worth a post, regardless of any timeframe.

For now Amazon overnighted me a new card, as a second order, not a replacement. So I hope its there when I get home today. I still have to get Abes to issue a refund.

www.torvaterra.com (external link)
http://torvaterra.zenf​olio.com (external link)

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 18, 2011 08:53 |  #19

99% of the time Abe's of Maine isn't cheaper than Amazon/Adorama/B&H. No real reason to shop there anyway and you can avoid the follow up phone call and sale push.

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 18, 2011 09:37 |  #20

I only order from these stores: Newegg, Amazon, Adorama, KEH or B&H.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 18, 2011 09:40 |  #21

I've bought several lenses from Abes with no issues at all, but my impression is that their customer service isn't up to the standards of other more popular shops.

We all read about horror stories though, even from B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. What I find interesting is that people are quick to defend them...but that's largely because of their CS. I am of the opinion that while CS matters, if CS is needed that often, then there's something wrong system-wide. Adorama is a perfect example. We've got a nice rep that frequents POTN...but it seems like she's needed quite often and while it's great to have her sort through some of the mess, it's also indicative of a bigger problem at Adorama. I live in NY and gone to their store many times and it's never really a pleasant experience. The sales people can be indifferent and even condescending at times. I never buy big ticket items at Adorama. I only buy stuff like camera bags and memory cards. Actually, I try not to shop there anymore. I prefer B&H...and even there, I gotta tell you, the sales people can be absolute jerks. This is NYC afterall. :lol:

So sh*t happens...

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2011 10:19 |  #22

nicksan wrote in post #13417366 (external link)
I've bought several lenses from Abes with no issues at all, but my impression is that their customer service isn't up to the standards of other more popular shops.

We all read about horror stories though, even from B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. What I find interesting is that people are quick to defend them...but that's largely because of their CS. I am of the opinion that while CS matters, if CS is needed that often, then there's something wrong system-wide. Adorama is a perfect example. We've got a nice rep that frequents POTN...but it seems like she's needed quite often and while it's great to have her sort through some of the mess, it's also indicative of a bigger problem at Adorama. I live in NY and gone to their store many times and it's never really a pleasant experience. The sales people can be indifferent and even condescending at times. I never buy big ticket items at Adorama. I only buy stuff like camera bags and memory cards. Actually, I try not to shop there anymore. I prefer B&H...and even there, I gotta tell you, the sales people can be absolute jerks. This is NYC afterall. :lol:

So sh*t happens...

I agree with a lot of this, but I think it is important to separate competent execution of an order with rude sales people. I really could are less if a sales person is nice to me; I want accurate info and competence.

I still highly value CS though, because sh*t will sometimes happen. But you're right nicksan, if CS is needed too often to fix things that is also an issue.

Regarding Abe's, it seems like a lot of people will shop there for an extra percent or two savings. I know that is not what the OP did here, but generally speaking I guess we can all decide if we place any value at all on customer service. I bought from Abe's some time ago without issue, but really didn't know any better. I can't imagine I'd do so again, unless maybe it was something I couldn't get anywhere else.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2011 10:33 |  #23

It looks like Abe's sent you a card that was destined to be returned to the manufacturer in error. Crazy things happen in a warehouse. Not that is is ok *LOL* Anyway, I have purchased with them before and never had any issues.

Good luck :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

maddjaxx
224 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 18, 2011 11:12 |  #24

Yeah I quit doing business with them when I ordered a high end friedrich A/C unit for my studio (through the wall) and it was advertised with free freight shipping. They were not cheaper but the shipping made it a little better deal and I could not find locally. Bought it and later that day I get a call from them telling me that I should upgrade my shipping for $150. I said standard freight was fine and that it was supposed to be included. He then said if I didn't upgrade then it would not be insured and I would have no way to track it and if it was damaged he would not be responsible. I said fine - cancel the sale and I will buy it elsewhere. He tried to tell me I was being unreasonable about it,. I told him to cancel the sale and I had to go when he said as a "favor to me" he was going to just this once throw in the upgraded shipping. I felt honored. Item came via a standard OTR carrier. Needless to say - no more Abes

Canon 1D X, 5d Mark III, 24L 1.4 II, 50L 1.2, 85L II 1.2, 17 - 40L, 24 - 105L 4.0, 70 - 200 2.8L IS II,70 - 300L IS, 200 2.0L IS, 400 2.8L IS, 600EX II :D

swinette
173 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2011 12:31 |  #25

maddjaxx wrote in post #13417739 (external link)
Yeah I quit doing business with them when I ordered a high end friedrich A/C unit for my studio (through the wall) and it was advertised with free freight shipping. They were not cheaper but the shipping made it a little better deal and I could not find locally. Bought it and later that day I get a call from them telling me that I should upgrade my shipping for $150. I said standard freight was fine and that it was supposed to be included. He then said if I didn't upgrade then it would not be insured and I would have no way to track it and if it was damaged he would not be responsible. I said fine - cancel the sale and I will buy it elsewhere. He tried to tell me I was being unreasonable about it,. I told him to cancel the sale and I had to go when he said as a "favor to me" he was going to just this once throw in the upgraded shipping. I felt honored. Item came via a standard OTR carrier. Needless to say - no more Abes

FWIW, insurance protects the seller, not the buyer. They can claim that once it's gone, it's out of their hands, but that's just not true. Until the item reaches you, it's still the responsibility of the seller.

April

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 18, 2011 12:35 as a reply to  @ maddjaxx's post |  #26

I remember 20 - 25 years ago I believe Abe's of Maine was actually in Maine, I could be wrong. Now they are in beautiful Brooklyn. I GOOGLEd their return address only to find a less than favorable location, on the docks I believe.

Since then, I haven't bought from them. My experience is B&H is the winner hands down. May not always be the cheapest price, but after returning a few things and received immediate credit, I can't ask for anything better.

My frustration with Amazon is as indicated above. If fulfilled by Amazon it's ok, just their free SuperSaver shipping is a misnomer. Yea it's free, but it may get to you in @ 7-10 days as a result.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 18, 2011 13:19 |  #27

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #13418113 (external link)
My frustration with Amazon is as indicated above. If fulfilled by Amazon it's ok, just their free SuperSaver shipping is a misnomer. Yea it's free, but it may get to you in @ 7-10 days as a result.

That's what Amazon Prime is for. Only works with items shipped through Amazon and it's free for 2 day shipping or $3.99 for next day. If you shop there enough it's well worth it.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 18, 2011 13:28 |  #28

i've ordered from abes and had no problems what so ever...i do wonder if you're being a tad dramatic though...after all the 7d isn't a $2,000 camera...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 18, 2011 13:37 |  #29

reputation is such a fragile thing

Flickr (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,226 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 18, 2011 13:43 |  #30

BufordFZ1 wrote in post #13418113 (external link)
I remember 20 - 25 years ago I believe Abe's of Maine was actually in Maine, I could be wrong. Now they are in beautiful Brooklyn. I GOOGLEd their return address only to find a less than favorable location, on the docks I believe.

Since then, I haven't bought from them. My experience is B&H is the winner hands down. May not always be the cheapest price, but after returning a few things and received immediate credit, I can't ask for anything better.

They are not in Brooklyn, NY. They are in Edison, NJ

Abe's of Maine
Raritan Center
5 Fernwood Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

http://www.abesofmaine​.com/contactUs.do (external link)

I always get the Free SuperSaver. I'm a cheap like that. LOL. I've gotten packages within 2-3 business days. At most, 5 business days. When I mean business days, this does not include weekends. Usually, the items for me are shipped from their NJ warehouse.

dgrPhotos wrote in post #13418281 (external link)
That's what Amazon Prime is for. Only works with items shipped through Amazon and it's free for 2 day shipping or $3.99 for next day. If you shop there enough it's well worth it.

Amazon Prime is free for the first 2 months but $80 per year or whatever the price is. I use to shop there a lot until they started to charge tax to NY residents =(. But I'm not in urgent need where I need to have the item right away that would justify the yearly fee for Prime.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35 f2.8L II | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70 f2.8L II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FEEDBACK
FS: 3D Printed RF 35mm Lens Hood | Peak Design and ThinkTank Bags | Custom SLR M-Plate Pro, Alter RFS | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt and Handstraps

sponsored links

5,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.