Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 18, 2011 14:17 |  #31

DreDaze wrote in post #13418335 (external link)
i've ordered from abes and had no problems what so ever...i do wonder if you're being a tad dramatic though...after all the 7d isn't a $2,000 camera...

It may have been a little over the top, but in defense of the OP, I would have been uber pissed too. If I ordered something brand-new, I feel that it should be properly packed, and should come to me in new condition. If you had invested money into a photo shoot like the OP did, would you not feel the same? It's not like a lawsuit is being threatened.

Regardless, I am glad that the OP has put up a big stink about AOM and their shipping practices. It might keep AOM on their toes if they felt that they were in a safe place with their reputation.

FS: Nothing for now.

sponsored links
Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 18, 2011 14:38 as a reply to  @ douflag's post |  #32

Sorry to hear, no question greater care should have been taken to insure a safe arrival. So it is completely understandable your frustration and anger. On another note, if it were me and I needed a piece of equipment urgently, particularly something as relatively inexpensive as a card, I would buy it locally.

Best, Bruce

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2011 16:46 |  #33

iazybandit wrote in post #13418410 (external link)
They are not in Brooklyn, NY. They are in Edison, NJ

Abe's of Maine
Raritan Center
5 Fernwood Ave
Edison, NJ 08837

http://www.abesofmaine​.com/contactUs.do (external link)

I have been in their Edison store a few times.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2011 18:29 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #34

The card that Amazon "overnighted" to me didn't come in. In fact it didn't even ship. Im on the phone with them now. They are going to refund my credit card for the second memory card which "should appear on my cc within 2-3 days."

Sigh.

www.torvaterra.com (external link)
http://torvaterra.zenf​olio.com (external link)

jbgreig
91 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 18, 2011 18:42 |  #35

torvaterra wrote in post #13419613 (external link)
The card that Amazon "overnighted" to me didn't come in. In fact it didn't even ship. Im on the phone with them now. They are going to refund my credit card for the second memory card which "should appear on my cc within 2-3 days."

Sigh.

That's unusual. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, both big and small. I have never had a delivery date missed. Does it show up in your orders? Did you receive an email confirmation?

I bet the order was never placed by the CSR, for whatever reason...

That sucks.

5D3, Gripped 7d, Gripped T1i - 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 100-400 F/4-5.6L IS, 24-70 F/2.8 L, Sigma 30, Nifty Fifty, Gitzo 3541XLS, RRS BH-55, Gitzo GM3551, RRS-BH30, Gitzo GT1541T, S95, D10, D20, 2.0 and 1.4 Extenders, 580EX II, 600EX-RTx2, PCB Einstein x2, etc

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2011 22:06 |  #36

jbgreig wrote in post #13419659 (external link)
That's unusual. I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon, both big and small. I have never had a delivery date missed. Does it show up in your orders? Did you receive an email confirmation?

I bet the order was never placed by the CSR, for whatever reason...

That sucks.

It does show up in my orders, with next day shipping but has not yet shipped. I ended up going to Best Buy tonight and buying a 16gb Sandisk 400x. They didnt have any 600x at all. :(

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 19, 2011 02:32 |  #37

So why not rip Amazon a NEW ONE?? They did not ship you a card despite paying for overnight shipping and talking to a representative ;)

Only difference you will see in your 7D between a 400x and 600x is the price you will pay.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 19, 2011 06:00 |  #38

iazybandit wrote in post #13418410 (external link)
Amazon Prime is free for the first 2 months but $80 per year or whatever the price is. I use to shop there a lot until they started to charge tax to NY residents =(. But I'm not in urgent need where I need to have the item right away that would justify the yearly fee for Prime.

There are deals on Prime floating around the net. I've paid a grand total of $35 for the past two years I've been a prime member.

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 19, 2011 15:03 |  #39

Justaddwata wrote in post #13421281 (external link)
So why not rip Amazon a NEW ONE?? They did not ship you a card despite paying for overnight shipping and talking to a representative ;)

Only difference you will see in your 7D between a 400x and 600x is the price you will pay.

I ripped Amazon a new one over the phone. That's why they issued me a full refund AND let me keep the card once it comes in.

Ive begun the return process for the first, damaged card. Im waiting on the return authorization.

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 19, 2011 18:30 as a reply to  @ torvaterra's post |  #40

Maybe Abes will do the same. Give them a chance.

Abes is on my trust list. I fully understand your frustration. Been there. But, IMO, you are dealing with a company that will make it right, not a rip-off artist like many that do deserve a good public bashing.

tman2782
987 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 20, 2011 00:41 |  #41

torvaterra wrote in post #13422928 (external link)
I ripped Amazon a new one over the phone. That's why they issued me a full refund AND let me keep the card once it comes in.

:oops:

I think a new, "Ripped Amazon a new ...." is in order. You're being very lax. After all, you ripped Abes a new one without even knowing what they were going to do with your order.

Terence
www.terencepereira.com (external link)
●●flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2011 07:44 |  #42

nicksan wrote in post #13417366 (external link)
.......We've got a nice rep that frequents POTN...but it seems like she's needed quite often and while it's great to have her....

Thank you!

.....it's also indicative of a bigger problem at Adorama.

I think it absolutely was 3 or 4 years ago, but have you noticed that complaints on POTN have plummeted through the floor? I'm still ever present on POTN, but more often than not, in an advice or information-giving capacity.
Why? Because I've taken each and every complaint, and after doing my best to put right whatever was wrong, looked at the systems and practices which were causing the problems.

...The sales people can be indifferent and even condescending at times. I never buy big ticket items at Adorama. I only buy stuff like camera bags and memory cards. Actually, I try not to shop there anymore.

While there is still work to be done with the store, new procedures in just the past month should start to bear fruit in the near future

Improvements would for sure come about much, much faster if every single instance of less than ideal in-store service was brought to my attention, Especially if I can get the details of the agent responsible. (Not so we can

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script
but to be able to look at appropriate training and support

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2011 10:01 |  #43

torvaterra wrote in post #13415712 (external link)
Let me preface this by saying that I do not usually order things so close to when I need them. However, I have two photo shoots this week: one on Friday which is casual, and a big shoot on Saturday. So earlier this week I ordered a Lexar 16gb 600x cf card with expedited shipping from Amazon.com which was sold through them by Abe's of Maine. Ive heard of Abe's but had never used them before... now I know. Trust = lost.

Card came in tonight, wrecked. The memory card's retail packaging is crushed and damaged, the seal was already broken, the case is broken and wont stay closed, the card is scratched up and dirty (yes actual dirt/lint), there are visible fingerprints on the case and card... RAGE. I was sent a damaged, used item. You would think that when someone orders a "professional" grade high dollar memory card AND expedited shipping that they would at least send a new item. Nope, this thing looks like they pulled it out of the trash, wiped it on their jeans and shipped it to me.

I called Amazon and although the guy apologized, he said that I need to contact Abe's and that there is nothing that they can do. I called Abe's and they are closed. The recording says that they are open tomorrow from 10am to 2:30pm. They are closed Saturday and Sunday.

I just want what I paid for, a new Lexar 16gb 600x cf for my shoots this week.

So I sent Abe's a love note...

Here are some pictures I took with my cell phone. If I had a card Id take them with my 7d!

Minor Update: I ended up calling Amazon again to see if there was any way that they could get me a card for Saturday. The rep was able to order me a new card at the same price of $90 (it is $127.43 sold through Amazon), and add on $8.06 one day shipping. It is coming from Amazon's warehouse in Tennessee. He assured me that it will be here tomorrow (Friday) in time for my shoot Saturday. We shall see. He was really nice though and the first rep did not offer this option to me. So Im glad that I called back. I really hope that it gets here in time. Its kind of annoying though to have both charges on my card. He said that until Abe's issues me a refund that's how it is.

Sorry that happened to you.

You do realize that the vendor can just say that your photo only proves that you opened it, right?

If the first thing you do is shoot, which is to say 'rip' people, they have more options.

It is very easy to say 'the customer did it and is being like this to play us' and have it stick when the customer is out of control.

So, be nice, because whoever you're talking to on the phone did not do you wrong, and s/he has choices about how to handle you. P(ss her/him off at your peril.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 20, 2011 10:38 |  #44

S.Horton wrote in post #13425877 (external link)
You do realize that the vendor can just say that your photo only proves that you opened it, right?

Customer service reps. have a good idea on what's going on in the company, so if they know that their company is prone to having such "accidents" they usually just accept the problem and fix it. I purchased three Sandisk cards from a reputable vendor a couple of years ago, and I did get three mem. card boxes (that was somewhat important since I could still apply for a rebate) but one of the boxes was empty. At first I was thinking I had small chance of having the issue fixed since it was my first or second order with the company but when I contacted them they said they'd send out another card right away. Guessing I wasn't the first person who reported similar problem.

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

Kafn8td
864 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 20, 2011 10:53 |  #45

Bummer on the card, Abes has always been good to me.

sponsored links

5,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.