Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon 35/1.4 AI/AI-S; anybody have one?

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2011 10:56 |  #1

Hey all -

I'm looking to (physically) downsize my kit, and a fast 35 is what I'm after at the moment. The 35L, 35 ZE, Canon 35/2 are all out for various reasons, and the Samyang is just way too big to make any sense as an option.

All the reviews say it's a good lens with nasty coma (which is an acceptable problem for me), but there's a decided lack of hi-res FF samples out there. So if anyone can offer up any experience with this lens I'd be a happy man!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
dudemanppl
303 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 20, 2011 18:52 |  #2

Very soft, "Leica Glow" if you would.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 20, 2011 20:34 |  #3

I think that I deleted some from my flickr account, but here are the few that remain (external link). No idea what they were shot at, most were probably at f/2. I didn't feel that mine was usable at f/1.4. That, coupled with the fact that I personally had a hard time focusing with it made me decide to release it back in to the wilds. I'll see what I can dig up in LR, but it's kinda tough without the metadata (I'm not always a good boy with tagging as I import).

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 20, 2011 20:49 |  #4

I looked through my LR catalog and it seems as if I obliterated all f/1.4 examples. They were bad. I've temporarily uploaded a handful of full res images (external link) (original 5D), but I'm going to take 'em back down in a few days. Hope this helps a little.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2011 21:07 |  #5

Judging by your images. The Nikon seems to produce very harsh bokeh. The bokeh of the 35L may not be as pleasant and smooth as the 85L or 135L it still looks much better than the Nikon.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 20, 2011 21:14 |  #6

How many wide angle lenses have bokeh remotely like that of a big aperture tele? None. I mean, yeah, it's a little different rendering than other wides, some like it, some don't, but don't bring oranges in to the convo about apples.

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 20, 2011 21:59 |  #7

In case you have not seen this person's review of the Nikkor 35 1.4.

http://www.naturfotogr​af.com/lens_wide.html (external link)

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 20, 2011 22:08 |  #8

Wow WhyFi, that's pretty much more than I could have asked for! Thanks a bunch! From what I see, it's got excellent center resolution but the corners kind of fall apart, unsurprisingly. Bokeh looks pretty much par for the course for that type of lens.

stover98074 - thanks for that, I hadn't read that particular review. It more or less jives with the others out there, but every little bit helps.

My verdict based on what I've got? If these things were floating around for $200 I'd probably pick one up, but their $450+ average eBay price is far too high.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 21, 2011 07:50 |  #9

No problem, glad to help.

sponsored links

1,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon 35/1.4 AI/AI-S; anybody have one?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.