Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 21 Nov 2011 (Monday) 21:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fake BG-E6 sellers out there, beware!

emperorevo86
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 21, 2011 21:00 |  #1

Just got myself a "fake," canon battery grip. Pulled it out of the box and the feel of it seem cheap and smooth. Compare to the actual on I had, which I sold it. Now I don't have one to compare it with. Just about everything looks cheap, from the plastic was used to the cheap Canon sticker in the front of it. I notice the bottom of it had no serial code on it. Right then I knew it was a fake. So without the actual one to compare it with, I did some google and found a page where the guy showed the obvious. I did not ordered mine from one of you guys here, but instead went to amazon to made the purchase and sure enough it was nothing but a fake. Listed as the actual Canon brand product. But dawn you, seller. I've done nothing but real sells out here. But to have one that is fake down to the feel of it, I am a shame to have made a used product. Never going to buy used stuff again. Sorry folks, just needed to vent off. What actions do you think I should take? It's gonna cost me so $$ to send it back for sure if the guys accept a refund. It's a shame to look and hold my $2500 Canon 5D with a fake Canon battery grip on it, when I know it should of been the real deal.

~ Burin Photography ~ (external link)Amazon feedback, (external link) Buyer feedback 1, Feedback 2,Feedback 3,Feedback 4, Feedback 5

sponsored links
nrowensby
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2011 21:03 |  #2

You say first that you "compare to the actual" you had... then you say that you don't have an actual one to compare it with??

Anyway... how much did you pay?

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Quad-Response
716 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2011 21:09 |  #3

Have heard horror stories of people using cheap/knock off versions. From catching fire to the actual tripod mount plate coming away from the grip leading to the camera falling and hitting the deck. Regardless of cost of sending it back, surely its better than risking your camera body. Get this fool reported and get your $$ back.

Chris
Canon EOS 1D Mark II for Sale - £450.00 ONO - PM For Details or see the Members Market

Canonero
146 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 21, 2011 21:17 |  #4

I would be pissed if the seller actually refused to refund you.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,889 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 21, 2011 21:26 |  #5

Yea these fake ones are all over eBay too.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,440 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 21, 2011 21:28 |  #6

emperorevo86 wrote in post #13433353 (external link)
I notice the bottom of it had no serial code on it. Right then I knew it was a fake.

I have never seen a Canon branded Grip that DID have a Serial Number on the bottom..ever..
even the several "real" BG-E6 grips for sale on HERE, RIGHT now, show absolutely NOTHING on the bottom..
maybe I am missing something??

Also, are the Canon grips made from Magnesium Alloy? I didnt know that...or atleats, I have never noticed that they were more durable than one made from plastic..

It's a shame to look and hold my $2500 Canon 5D with a fake Canon battery grip on it, when I know it should of been the real deal.

then I guess you wouldnt want to look in my bag... :rolleyes:
I have owned some Canon and some 3rd party grips for every model I have EVER owned, and I have NEVER thought that the 3rd Party grip was a POS, or that I would not "trust it"...
the only real POS grips I have owned would be the VERY cheap ones..like the ones that do not even have the AF start button, etc...
but anything from Phottix/Meiki/Zeikos I have never had an issue with..

Obviously I am not that observant, or picky, or something...

to each his own! :D

Sorry you got scammed :oops:

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 21, 2011 21:40 |  #7

^ I know a lot of the third party sellers create grips/products that are just as worthy as OEM products. I think the OP is upset that the grip he received was way below expectations, as I'm sure some of the eBay knockoffs have significantly reduced reliability or functionality compared to either OEM or reputable 3rd parties.

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

easypz
520 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 21, 2011 21:48 |  #8

SethDuBois wrote in post #13433530 (external link)
^ I know a lot of the third party sellers create grips/products that are just as worthy as OEM products. I think the OP is upset that the grip he received was way below expectations, as I'm sure some of the eBay knockoffs have significantly reduced reliability or functionality compared to either OEM or reputable 3rd parties.

I'm sure he's upset because the grip was represented as an authentic Canon grip and he suspects it is not. Canon grips are not made of mag-alloy but the plastice is heavy, thick and textured. I've gotten several off-brand grips with used gear I've purchased and some a down right cheaply made. Some others are good enough to use. In either case I would expect the price to reflect the quality of the product.

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 21, 2011 22:00 |  #9

HyperCams wrote in post #13433478 (external link)
I have never seen a Canon branded Grip that DID have a Serial Number on the bottom..ever..
even the several "real" BG-E6 grips for sale on HERE, RIGHT now, show absolutely NOTHING on the bottom..

Also, are the Canon grips made from Magnesium Alloy? I didnt know that...or atleats, I have never noticed that they were more durable than one made from plastic..

then I guess you wouldnt want to look in my bag... :rolleyes:
I have owned some Canon and some 3rd party grips for every model I have EVER owned, and I have NEVER thought that the 3rd Party grip was a POS, or that I would not "trust it"...
the only real POS grips I have owned would be the VERY cheap ones..like the ones that do not even have the AF start button, etc...
but anything from Phottix/Meiki/Zeikos I have never had an issue with..

Obviously I am not that observant, or picky, or something...

to each his own! :D

Sorry you got scammed :oops:

I'm not sure if all of the Canon battery grip have the serials on them, but the 7D I just sold had one. As for the 5D, I'm not sure. But I think the bottom plate shouldn't be plastic though.

I'm not trying to say that the 3rd party grip is a pos, but receiving something that should of been the genuine one really made it a pos. If I knew what I bought was a fake, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But when you had to find out that it's not real, then that really set off some steams.

~ Burin Photography ~ (external link)Amazon feedback, (external link) Buyer feedback 1, Feedback 2,Feedback 3,Feedback 4, Feedback 5

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 21, 2011 22:06 |  #10

what I was trying to say was based on my memory of what the actual thing looks like in comparison to the fake one. Sorry for the confusion :)

I got it for 169.99 + a 7.99 shipping.
So I spent that much already, why not spent another $130 for the real one? Just thought I would take the "save money when buying used ones," route.

nrowensby wrote in post #13433369 (external link)
You say first that you "compare to the actual" you had... then you say that you don't have an actual one to compare it with??

Anyway... how much did you pay?

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 21, 2011 22:07 |  #11

SethDuBois wrote in post #13433530 (external link)

I'm also afraid of the horror story myself :)

in comparison, why even bother spending a lot of money for a phone when you won't even spend the extra $20 for a protective case for it. Doesn't make sense in my head. If I'm going to throw money down on an expensive camera, I expect to follow it with some genuine accessories for it.

been
245 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 21, 2011 22:17 |  #12

This is how to determine a fake BG-E6:

http://photographian.p​roboards.com …=canon&thread=1​009&page=1 (external link)

I've seen fake BG-E6 sold not only on ebay, but also on here (POTN) and FM from time to time asking prices like the OEM. Shame on those sellers I would say.

My Feedback

DarkMeans
413 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 21, 2011 22:49 |  #13

Take some pictures of it so that we can all confirm it was a fake. The BG-E6 does NOT have a serial number on the bottom.

Gear and Feedback

7Eleven
69 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 21, 2011 23:06 |  #14

HyperCams wrote in post #13433478 (external link)

The BG-E7 does have the serial code etched in the on the bottom plate.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Canon 7D - Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 2.5 macro / Canon 35mm 1.4L / Canon 17-55mm IS / Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2011 23:21 |  #15

7Eleven wrote in post #13433856 (external link)
The BG-E7 does have the serial code etched in the on the bottom plate.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My BG-E7 also has a S/N on the bottom. For my 40D cameras, both my BG-E2Ns had S/Ns.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

sponsored links

4,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fake BG-E6 sellers out there, beware!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.