Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 22, 2011 11:22 |  #1

I purchased and off brand, Meike Digital, OC-E3 a while back to use with my 580 EXII and my Pocket Wizards. Its work, from time to time when I've used it, which hasn't been a whole lot. The cord itself is still in good shape, very tight coiled still.

Anyway, I purchase a RSS bracket to mount my flash on so I could get off camera flash while just using my camera, for like weddings etc...but when I mounted it and I'm using this Meike OC-E3, its not firing off the flash at all and the 580 EXII shows up as TTL when I thought it should work in ETTL as well...?

Do you think I've been the victim of a cheap off camera shoe cord?

I went ahead and ordered the real Canon branded one, it should be here today, I just can't really understand if this cheaper one is really gone bad already, without hardly using it.

sponsored links
mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,359 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 22, 2011 13:41 |  #2

Check out this thread.

I had issues with my cord a couple weeks ago, checked and the screws on the "far" end (where the flash attaches) were indeed quite loose.

Worth a check if you have some small screwdrivers.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2011 06:26 |  #3

mbellot wrote in post #13436468 (external link)
Check out this thread.

I had issues with my cord a couple weeks ago, checked and the screws on the "far" end (where the flash attaches) were indeed quite loose.

Worth a check if you have some small screwdrivers.

Well my cheapo cord doesn't have screws there, but I did determine it was the cord, as my new Canon model came in and it worked immediately. So that cable has gone bad somehow, and probably wasn't even worth this post. Thats why I usually don't buy cheapo stuff...and once again have learned a lesson, I hate buying twice.

Lagged2Death
93 posts
Joined May 2004

Nov 23, 2011 20:32 |  #4

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #13435795 (external link)
...the 580 EXII shows up as TTL when I thought it should work in ETTL as well...?

This happened to me when one particular contact in the flash shoe got dirty and wasn't making good contact with my flash. I cleaned it up with a pencil eraser and got "ETTL" back on the display. In your case, it could be a bad connection in one of the shoes or it could be a bad connection inside your cable.

It's my understanding that TTL mode (as opposed to ETTL mode) works with film cameras only. On my (digital) camera, the flash always fired at full power, regardless of any adjustments, when the display read "TTL."

I want to get a hot-shoe cord too, but I've been discouraged by the plentiful negative reviews and tales of woe almost all of them seem to attract.

MusicLaw
124 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 20:54 as a reply to  @ Lagged2Death's post |  #5

The Canon cord is great. However, it is pricey and short.

OCFGear.com has high quality non-coiled extended length (16 and 33 feet) cords, but the site shows they are currently on backorder until Nov 25.

There are also several brands sold via Amazon. Some have very positive reviews. I ordered the Rainbow Imaging 10 meter coiled version. After it arrives, I can post a followup.

MusicLaw
124 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 21:16 as a reply to  @ MusicLaw's post |  #6

Also know that the pull-out wide angle diffusion panel and white catch light card must be fully inserted into their slot. The Speedlite's sensor prevents the Speedlite from operating normally if they are not fully inserted!

Always check to make sure that the diffusion panel and white catch light card are fully seated!

sponsored links

2,633 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.