Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter help - Polarizer

tomphot
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 16:00 |  #1

A little back round - I've been shooting for 30+ years and am updating some equipment in the digital range.
I have just purchased a Tokina 11-16 that has a 77mm lens.
In going through my dozens of older filters, I found 2 - 77mm Polarizers that I used with a Bronica lens.
Am I correct that the proper filter that I need for the 11-16 is a circular filter for that lens?
In looking a my 72mm polarizer, I see that it specifies C-PL.
Do all circular filters say so on the edge?
I can't remember why I have 2 of these filters, one is a Tiffen and the other is a Tokina.
If these don't work with any of my current equipment, I guess I should just try to sell them and buy something I can use.

sponsored links
skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2011 16:10 |  #2

You probably won't like the result of a cp on this lens. Since this is an uwa you will see inconsistencies in the sky. With that said if you get a filter make sure it is a cp and linear polarizer. They should say cpl somewhere either on the lens or on the box

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

paddler4
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 23, 2011 16:12 |  #3

make sure it is a cp and linear polarizer.

Should say "make sure it is a cp [CIRCULAR] and NOT a linear polarizer."

Linear polarizers, which is what we all mostly used in the old days, will interfere with autofocus. too bad, as the circular are not as effective--the effect of rotating one element is much less, in my experience.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 16:36 |  #4

The CPL still works wonders on my 11-16 Tokina. Get a slim one so you don't get vignetting. Like skater said, just gotta be careful, if you're doing portraits of the sky or trying to "see" through water, it'll be great.

Have fun.

Photography is the art of exclusion

tomphot
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 17:29 as a reply to  @ Capeachy's post |  #5

So since these filters are most likely older than 10 years and they don't say CP on them, are they most likely linear?
I've got a trip coming up to Thailand coming up and am debating the need for a polarizer for this trip.

SimpleJack
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 23, 2011 17:36 as a reply to  @ tomphot's post |  #6

I think a CPL is for sure a must have with taking pictures of water and leaves.
This would be a good choice I think, but it cost $250.. http://www.thkphoto.co​m …nko/zeta-ex_features.html (external link)

Canon PowerShot S100

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,616 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2011 17:51 |  #7

You'll almost certainly want a cpl for that trip; but as mentioned earlier, you can see some odd effects in blue skies on a UWA lens. It will still work quite well for foliage/limiting reflections in water/etc, though.

Yes, circular is what you're looking for; linear filters tend to muck up autofocus in these new-fangled camera systems :)

Highly recommend B+W MRC KSM (Kaesemann), as they are really well built and have not color cast to them. They ain't cheap though! Check out www.maxsaver.net (external link) for pretty decent prices, though.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

tomphot
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 18:44 |  #8

Thanks all!

So I'm trying to trim down my lense choices for this trip - my lenses......
Taking the 11-16 - 2.8
Taking the 50 - 1.8
Have -
EF - 100 USM 2.8
EFS - 17-85 IS
EFS - 18-55
EF - 28-135 IS
EF - 75-300 IS

All with a 60D body

I like to travel light and already have a circular polarizer for the 28-135
I'm thinking about just bring that additional lens on the trip and skipping the CPL for the 11-16
Any thoughts?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,616 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2011 19:02 |  #9

Out of that list, I'd add both the 17-85 and the 28-135 to the two lenses listed. I suspect that you could very easily find 16mm too wide and 28mm too narrow for several things. Out of those two, I'd put the priority on the 28-135, though, if pressed.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2011 19:15 |  #10

paddler4 wrote in post #13442373 (external link)
Should say "make sure it is a cp [CIRCULAR] and NOT a linear polarizer."

Linear polarizers, which is what we all mostly used in the old days, will interfere with autofocus. too bad, as the circular are not as effective--the effect of rotating one element is much less, in my experience.

Good catch I meant to add a "not" in there. Stupid iphone

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

tomphot
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 19:32 |  #11

skater911 wrote in post #13443015 (external link)
Good catch I meant to add a "not" in there. Stupid iphone

I assumed that when I read that - thanks!

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 23:30 |  #12

tomphot wrote in post #13442898 (external link)
Thanks all!

So I'm trying to trim down my lense choices for this trip - my lenses......
Taking the 11-16 - 2.8
Taking the 50 - 1.8
Have -
EF - 100 USM 2.8
EFS - 17-85 IS
EFS - 18-55
EF - 28-135 IS
EF - 75-300 IS

All with a 60D body

I like to travel light and already have a circular polarizer for the 28-135
I'm thinking about just bring that additional lens on the trip and skipping the CPL for the 11-16
Any thoughts?

I like the 11-16 if you ever end up in an aircraft museum or if you are doing architecture shots, especially indoors. The rest, either the 17-85 or 28-135 should both be good but I wouldn't take both.

Photography is the art of exclusion

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 24, 2011 00:58 as a reply to  @ Capeachy's post |  #13

tomphot wrote in post #13442657 (external link)
So since these filters are most likely older than 10 years and they don't say CP on them...

But...

tomphot wrote in post #13442322 (external link)
...In looking a my 72mm polarizer, I see that it specifies C-PL.

... this one does. It's a circular polariser.

If you want to be absolutely sure what sort of polariser you have, look through it into a mirror. If in one direction its reflection looks black, but when you reverse the filter it doesn't, you've got yourself a CPL.

Read why here:http://www.bobatkins.c​om …technical/polar​izers.html (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 24, 2011 05:20 |  #14

skater911 wrote in post #13442361 (external link)
You probably won't like the result of a cp on this lens. Since this is an uwa you will see inconsistencies in the sky. With that said if you get a filter make sure it is a cp and linear polarizer. They should say cpl somewhere either on the lens or on the box

Why not? The CPL has many more uses other than for just wide 'sky' shots. Also, with the camera in the vertical orientation, most of the sky is 'removed' from the frame.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

tomphot
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 24, 2011 10:32 |  #15

xarqi wrote in post #13444264 (external link)
If you want to be absolutely sure what sort of polariser you have, look through it into a mirror. If in one direction its reflection looks black, but when you reverse the filter it doesn't, you've got yourself a CPL.
[/URL]

Perfect - thanks for the info - the 2 - 77mm polarizers I have are linear. Is there much of a market for these? I should probably try to sell if their worth anything.

sponsored links

1,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter help - Polarizer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.