Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you pay for your Photoshop CS5"
Yes
73%
No
27%

122 voters, 122 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did you buy Photoshop CS5

this thread is locked
Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2011 00:35 as a reply to  @ post 13447778 |  #31

I didn't pay for CS5, but don't have it on my computer either. I've been using PSE6 (which I paid for) and just purchased PSE10 (legitimately), which is currently on sale for $50 at many places, including directly from Adobe. I actually use LightRoom (which I also paid for) for most of my photo editing needs, but Elements occasionally comes in handy as well. I've never purchased the entire Creative Suite because I don't have any need for the more advanced features it has over Elements.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

sponsored links
sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 25, 2011 00:58 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

Student version here. But lightroom and gimp should be more than sufficient if you can't afford the full version and can't get the student version.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

AtomicPenguin
144 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 01:00 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Student Version $217

Flickr (external link)
5D2|35L|20EF|100EF Macro|Contax 645|Zeiss Planar 2/80 T*|Elan 7
I'z be under ur ice flowz eaten ur mackerelz.

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 04:14 as a reply to  @ AtomicPenguin's post |  #34

Well the people who seem so bold about how right it is to pay for such a expensive product clearly can afford it. but for the people who in no way can afford it, it is far too expensive and out of reach.
Sure if it's your full time job and get paid weekly for your images then you can get your money back, but for someone who does it as a hobby it's not worth it spending $700 bucks to adjust some colors or to use content aware and remove some blemishes.
Not saying that I did. But it can be easily downloaded and installed within 20 minutes and you just saved yourself $700 bucks.. That's a whole months rent for some people who can barely afford to keep food on the table.
My personal opinion thinks that it should only cost about $150 max. Don't ask me why, that is just how I feel.

Canon PowerShot S100

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2011 04:29 |  #35

SimpleJack wrote in post #13448687 (external link)
Well the people who seem so bold about how right it is to pay for such a expensive product clearly can afford it. but for the people who in no way can afford it, it is far too expensive and out of reach.
Sure if it's your full time job and get paid weekly for your images then you can get your money back, but for someone who does it as a hobby it's not worth it spending $700 bucks to adjust some colors or to use content aware and remove some blemishes.
Not saying that I did. But it can be easily downloaded and installed within 20 minutes and you just saved yourself $700 bucks.. That's a whole months rent for some people who can barely afford to keep food on the table.
My personal opinion thinks that it should only cost about $150 max. Don't ask me why, that is just how I feel.

There are cheaper programs around, even free ware for those on lower incomes, and some of it is very good. Those who want "champagne on a beer budget" and rip off software to do it need to take a good hard look at their moral horizon!

And by the way, some of us don't have large incomes, but we pay for what we use anyway!

Growing old disgracefully!

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 25, 2011 05:49 |  #36

Veemac wrote in post #13448251 (external link)
I've been using PSE6 (which I paid for) and just purchased PSE10 (legitimately), which is currently on sale for $50 at many places, including directly from Adobe.

Some copies even have a $30 rebate in the box on top of the discounts. Now is the time to buy if you really want something comparable to PS CS5 at a great price.

http://accessories.us.​dell.com/sna/rebates/A​4207756.pdf (external link)

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 is currently $49 at Newegg with 60-Day Return & Price Guarantee + free 4GB SD Card.

http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6832105972 (external link)

Amazon PSE10 has it for $45.98 which is cheaper then buying the upgrade anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B005MMMT6E (external link)

For $69 you get Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 10 bundled.

http://www.amazon.com …Premiere-10/dp/B005MMMT0A (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2011 09:48 |  #37

...Sure if it's your full time job and get paid weekly for your images then you can get your money back, but for someone who does it as a hobby it's not worth it spending $700 bucks to adjust some colors or to use content aware and remove some blemishes...

Then buy Elements. It doesn't have Content Aware editing, but the things you want to do can be done quickly and easily without it.

...Not saying that I did. But it can be easily downloaded and installed within 20 minutes and you just saved yourself $700 bucks. That's a whole months rent for some people who can barely afford to keep food on the table...

Not being rich doesn't justify stealing a completely unneeded luxury. If I can only afford a Nissan but I'd like to have a Mercedes instead, that doesn't justify me going down to the dealer and stealing one off the lot. It wouldn't put Daimler-Benz out of business - it's just ONE car, after all - but does that make it okay because I really wanted it, but couldn't afford to pay for it?

...My personal opinion thinks that it should only cost about $150 max. Don't ask me why, that is just how I feel.

Elements hits that price range. In fact, it's even cheaper than $150.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

RLMorgan
42 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 25, 2011 11:08 |  #38

A little more than a year ago I enrolled in a community college geezer "Intro to Photoshop" class for $50 and used my student status to buy CS5 Extended for $200 & Lightroom 3 for $100. $1,300 retail for $350 and some hands on basic training. A good deal.

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 13:39 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

RLMorgan wrote in post #13449513 (external link)
A little more than a year ago I enrolled in a community college geezer "Intro to Photoshop" class for $50 and used my student status to buy CS5 Extended for $200 & Lightroom 3 for $100. $1,300 retail for $350 and some hands on basic training. A good deal.

Yep, what I did this year. I actually got CS5 for $170 on sale from B&H.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 25, 2011 13:42 |  #40

I used my student discount as well. I still hope I can use my student discount when PS6 and LR4 come out!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 13:45 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

CameraMan wrote in post #13450095 (external link)
I used my student discount as well. I still hope I can use my student discount when PS6 and LR4 come out!

You pay full retail price for the upgrades - which is still cheaper in the long run.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 25, 2011 13:51 |  #42

Actually, you have it backward: You can afford to spend $700 on a hobby, I have to make a business decision whether or not the software is worth it.
That's why I don't upgrade every version, and am still using PSCS4.

I started by buying PS6 used, then upgraded to PSCS2, then PSCS4. All legit…

If this were a hobby, I'd just use LR3 (which I also own legitimately BTW, but nearly ever use for work) and Elements or so.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 25, 2011 15:04 |  #43

Not saying that I did. But it can be easily downloaded and installed within 20 minutes and you just saved yourself $700 bucks..

At some point the software industry has to get serious and make examples of some individuals that are using pirated software. Up to now the industry have gone after mostly companies that are using pirated versions but, imo, if they did make an example of a bunch of individuals and made sure it made the press in a big way that it might encourage people to quit that habit.

There seems to be a sense of entitlement with some age groups these days that they must have the best of everything even if they can't afford it.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2011 15:32 |  #44

ssim wrote in post #13450339 (external link)
At some point the software industry has to get serious and make examples of some individuals that are using pirated software. Up to now the industry have gone after mostly companies that are using pirated versions but, imo, if they did make an example of a bunch of individuals and made sure it made the press in a big way that it might encourage people to quit that habit.

There seems to be a sense of entitlement with some age groups these days that they must have the best of everything even if they can't afford it.

Well said!

Growing old disgracefully!

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 25, 2011 15:51 |  #45

ssim wrote in post #13450339 (external link)
Up to now the industry have gone after mostly companies that are using pirated versions but, imo, if they did make an example of a bunch of individuals and made sure it made the press in a big way that it might encourage people to quit that habit.

This is because they can go after a business with fines but good luck collecting those from unemployed individuals.

sponsored links

7,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did you buy Photoshop CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.