Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you pay for your Photoshop CS5"
Yes
73%
No
27%

122 voters, 122 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did you buy Photoshop CS5

this thread is locked
scottda
462 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2011 16:44 |  #46

SimpleJack wrote in post #13448687 (external link)
Well the people who seem so bold about how right it is to pay for such a expensive product clearly can afford it. but for the people who in no way can afford it, it is far too expensive and out of reach.

SERIOUSLY?!?!? You're calling people bold for stating that stealing is wrong and you can't just TAKE whatever you want? You, SimpleJack, are the bold one.

Sure if it's your full time job and get paid weekly for your images then you can get your money back, but for someone who does it as a hobby it's not worth it spending $700 bucks to adjust some colors or to use content aware and remove some blemishes.

Then don't. This is NOT required to produce good photography. On the other hand if the hobbiest can afford it and wants it then, go for it. It's not much worse than buying another lens. MUCH cheaper in many cases. And, as others have already stated, there are other, cheaper alternatives that will do most, if not all, of what you need/want.

Not saying that I did. But it can be easily downloaded and installed within 20 minutes and you just saved yourself $700 bucks.. That's a whole months rent for some people who can barely afford to keep food on the table.

IMHO anyone "who can barely afford to keep food on the table" has bigger things to worry about than adjusting colors and removing blemishes in their photos.

My personal opinion thinks that it should only cost about $150 max. Don't ask me why, that is just how I feel.

In MY personal opinion you have no clue of the time and resources that go into developing quality, high level software.

I try very hard to stay out of the rants and attacks on this forum. But, this one...I couldn't hold back.

Scott

flickr (external link)
Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

sponsored links
wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 16:59 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

scottda wrote in post #13450667 (external link)
SERIOUSLY?!?!? You're calling people bold for stating that stealing is wrong and you can't just TAKE whatever you want? You, SimpleJack, are the bold one.

Then don't. This is NOT required to produce good photography. On the other hand if the hobbiest can afford it and wants it then, go for it. It's not much worse than buying another lens. MUCH cheaper in many cases. And, as others have already stated, there are other, cheaper alternatives that will do most, if not all, of what you need/want.

IMHO anyone "who can barely afford to keep food on the table" has bigger things to worry about than adjusting colors and removing blemishes in their photos.

In MY personal opinion you have no clue of the time and resources that go into developing quality, high level software.

I try very hard to stay out of the rants and attacks on this forum. But, this one...I couldn't hold back.

Scott

Perfect.

Some people cant afford Ferrari's - does that mean they should be cheaper so everyone can? Gimme a break. CS5 is a premium grade software package. There are other options out there if you cant afford it. MS Paint for instance.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 17:50 as a reply to  @ wfarrell4's post |  #48

Ferrari compared to Photoshop? you kidding me?..
Let me guess.. Wrong to download a free song off the internet also right? You can download the whole entire Eagles album collection before you can even make it to the store.. But if anyone did that they are a bad person, as if they can't afford to buy all the Eagles albums they have other things to worry about right and probably don't deserve to listen to music..
Downloading software and comparing it to stealing from local business is a pretty bad comparison..
So they people that can barely afford to put food on the table doesn't deserve to use content aware and remove blemish from their photos? right...

Say you have $1000 in your pocket.
You need to edit your photos, things you can't do with other programs besides Photoshop.
Topaz labs, Lightroom and CS5. Should I spend that $1000 on these programs and send it to these company so I can remove these zits, add some highlights and remove a tree branch in a picture. or should I spend 30 minutes downloading and installing these 3 programs for free... hmmm I think I would like to keep that $1000 in my pocket.
They are not losing money because I would never spend this much money on these programs anyway.
You ever buy something that was on sale at the store? if you have, you must care a little about saving money. If you could save a $1000 on something, I think that is a pretty big saving. No matter who much they charge, someone will pay it. If t cost $2,000 people will still buy it and there will be people out there still saying it's worth it and if you can't afford it you have no right to use it.
If music was $20 per song, would you pay that? someone would. Does that mean you don't deserve to listen to these songs if you don't pay for, or would you find another way to listen to your favorite band? If it took 2 seconds to download that song for free would you? would anyone notice or even care? would you be able to sleep at night? would your friends think differently of you?..
This is the internet. This isn't stealing someones car..

Canon PowerShot S100

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 17:55 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

I never said stealing someones car, I said Ferrari pricing their cars so everybody can afford them.

Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 17:57 |  #50

So for that program that only cost $40, it takes no time and resources to make it? Selling for $40 and still making a profit? They must have a bunch of monkey's making their software then huh?..

Canon PowerShot S100

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2011 17:58 |  #51

Upgraded since cs2.

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:01 |  #52

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13450936 (external link)
I never said stealing someones car, I said Ferrari pricing their cars so everybody can afford them.

Veemac wrote in post #13449276 (external link)
Not being rich doesn't justify stealing a completely unneeded luxury. If I can only afford a Nissan but I'd like to have a Mercedes instead, that doesn't justify me going down to the dealer and stealing one off the lot. It wouldn't put Daimler-Benz out of business - it's just ONE car, after all - but does that make it okay because I really wanted it, but couldn't afford to pay for it?

referring to this comment.

Canon PowerShot S100

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 25, 2011 18:14 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

SimpleJack, you're digging yourself into a hole on this one.

If you can't afford photoshop there are PLENTY of free options out there. Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try to sugar coat it. If you pirated photoshop you're a criminal and you should go to jail. That simple.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:18 as a reply to  @ sbattey's post |  #54

Thanks. I'm not digging myself in any hole.

Canon PowerShot S100

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:20 |  #55

sbattey wrote in post #13451022 (external link)
SimpleJack, you're digging yourself into a hole on this one.

If you can't afford photoshop there are PLENTY of free options out there. Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try to sugar coat it. If you pirated photoshop you're a criminal and you should go to jail. That simple.

I agree.

Jack, you've told us all what you are! All the justification in the world won't change that. As for songs...I don't steal them either.

You seem to think that by telling us you don't have much money that we will feel sympathy...welcome to the world of victimhood if that's the case. If not, take it on the chin and get hold of Gimp or some other free program to remove zits or restore colour balance or whatever it is you need to do.

Growing old disgracefully!

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:24 as a reply to  @ Ricardo222's post |  #56

Sympathy? I already have all the programs installed I could ever want..
This thread was about who bought it and who didn't just to see and how far overpriced this program is when it's so easy to get.

I guess some of us need to pay $$$ to be able to hold our heads up high and think they whole world cares how much money they spent on something.. I'm sure someone out there would give you a pat on the back. Maybe they should give out Green jackets to everyone who paid for it.
and insulting people on these forums because someone got CS5 for free shows what kind of person you are.

Canon PowerShot S100

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 18:31 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

SimpleJack wrote in post #13451060 (external link)
Sympathy? I already have all the programs installed I could ever want..
This thread was about who bought it and who didn't just to see and how far overpriced this program is when it's so easy to get.

I guess some of us need to pay $$$ to be able to hold our heads up high and think they whole world cares how much money they spent on something.. I'm sure someone out there would give you a pat on the back.
and insulting people on these forums because someone got CS5 for free shows what kind of person you are .

Works both ways, genius.

Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:33 |  #58

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13451074 (external link)
Works both ways, genius.

That would make sense if that made any sense..

Canon PowerShot S100

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 18:43 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

SimpleJack wrote in post #13451082 (external link)
That would make sense if that made any sense..

It did.

Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

scottda
462 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2011 18:51 |  #60

I try very hard to stay out of the rants and attacks on this forum.

I've really got to try hard on this one. I'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread.

flickr (external link)
Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

sponsored links

7,453 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did you buy Photoshop CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.