Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Jamaica and taking cameras but not laptop??

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2011 17:30 |  #1

We booked a week in Jamaica (Negril) and in the past I have always taken my laptop but this time thinking just the ipad and buying a few cf cards.

2 reasons mostly, 1 is my mac needs a new battery and even when new it lasts about 3 to 4 hours and the ipad over 10 , so on the plane I have some movies.
2 is that the laptop is bigger and takes up more room than the ipad and I can still get my email ect with the ipad I just cant backup my pics,

I do have a flashtrac that I may take in case I feel I really need to backup stuff...

any of you been to Jamaica , any places I must go??

I am packing light just my 5D 7D 17-55 70-200 50mm and 10-20

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

sponsored links
Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 23, 2011 18:39 |  #2

I will be having the same dilemna in March when I plan on going to Cuba. I have a Macbook Air which I will be taking with me.

As for packing light, try to decide between 1 body and 2/3 lens :D

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Kafn8td
864 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 23, 2011 18:52 |  #3

I did Peru without any type of computer. Take your iPad and get the camera connection kit so you can review the 7d Picts and delete the ones you don't like.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2011 21:00 |  #4

I did 2 weeks in the Philippines this year (as well as 16 days around the Southern US two years ago, and 2 weeks in Cali/Oregon the year before that) with just the cameras and a handful of flash memory...I see no reason to bring a laptop on a vacation...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2011 21:03 |  #5

Kafn8td wrote in post #13442925 (external link)
I did Peru without any type of computer. Take your iPad and get the camera connection kit so you can review the 7d Picts and delete the ones you don't like.

I'm always afraid that the more flashy stuff I take the more stuff can get stolen...as it is, the only thing I take that's "flashy" is my camera...and it's always with me, so I'm never worried about getting stuff stolen. As for deleting the ones you don't like...take an extra couple of memory cards (if you can afford a bunch of Apple stuff, Canon DSLRs, trips around the world, a couple of 16GB/32GB cards won't kill you)...slap them in your pocket and shoot away...delete when you get home.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 23, 2011 21:25 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #6

No need for a laptop for only a week.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 07, 2012 10:56 |  #7

So you guys totally trust your CF cards? Anywhere I go where the pictures are important, I transfer them to a notebook, then make copies on an external hard drive, then transfer what copies I can to as many USB thumb drives as I have. I would say anyone not at least taking a notebook and an external hd are living on the edge, or the images don't matter.

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 07, 2012 13:19 |  #8

We're just back from Peru and Machu Picchu. I took my 60D, 15-85mm IS, and one 430EX. Left another flash and 70-300mm IS telephoto at home. I used everything with me regularly, and there were no shots I missed by leaving some equipment at home. We also took one iPad, which we used for finding good restaurants and restaurant reviews and locations near our hotel in Lima. We didn't use the iPad photographically, however.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 16, 2012 04:33 |  #9

samueli wrote in post #14042945 (external link)
So you guys totally trust your CF cards?

Yes.

samueli wrote in post #14042945 (external link)
Anywhere I go

Where do you go?

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

mspringfield
869 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 16, 2012 05:11 |  #10

Kafn8td wrote in post #13442925 (external link)

I don't have the camera connection kit for my iPad yet but am looking at one. With Photostream enabled do the images you import from your DSLR go to iCloud? I can see how that would be helpful as long as your don't take over 1000 shots.

Michael Springfield - Chattanooga, TN
Canon 1DsMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II

ilumo
Goldmember
1,730 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2012 09:07 |  #11

the ipad3 will be amazing for vacations. you'll be able to view 18MP images on there with 2048x1536 res.

Body: Sony a7R IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 16-35 f/4.0 IS USML USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM | 24mm f/1.4GM | 70-200mm f/2.8GM
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 16, 2012 09:13 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I always take my laptop.

The nice thing about an iPad, though, is that it doesn't have to be removed from your carry-on bag...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2012 10:57 |  #13

I stopped traveling with a laptop, we've got 3 Macbook Airs here we got for travel and I leave them at home. I take my 64gb IPad these days.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,071 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 16, 2012 18:43 |  #14

Being able to copy all photos to external harddrive and even being able to burn them onto DVD as backup is too important to me.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Fuzzmuffin
288 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 16, 2012 19:11 |  #15

I lived and worked in Jamaica for a year. I actually used to walk around Spanish Town etc. at night with a 5D2 in 2009 or thereabouts. There are '2 Jamaicas': the one you will see in Negril, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and other places designed for tourists; and the real Jamaica. I don't know which one you'd prefer to see. Just know that the Jamaica tourists don't often see can be a really dangerous place with pockets of gang warfare going on.

That being said, I never had even the slightest problem with crime there. Just be wary and ask the locals where NOT to go, as crime hotspots shift to new areas sometimes. If you're adventurous you can take mini bus rides through the interior of Jamaica: just hold onto your 'gizzard' because the driving will terrify you. Have a good trip and leave the laptop home.

sponsored links

3,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Jamaica and taking cameras but not laptop??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.