Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to get for new camera? First time photographer. Any kits availabke?

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 19:06 |  #1

Pretty sure I need:

Battery
Charger
Bag
Tripod
Memory Card

What else do I need? I think these 5 are good for me. Does anyone know if there any deals online for these accessory kits? Or should I buy them all separately?

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 23, 2011 19:52 |  #2

Add a flash. And a good circular polarizer (B+W MRC, Hoya S-HMC or HD, or Heliopan SH-PMC). And you're going to be better off buying individually than looking for a kit, since kits will give you whatever's cheapest to make up the combination, and you'll end up replacing it down the road when it fails.
The basic Canon camera will include a battery and charger. If someone tells you they're "extras, you really need to buy them", cancel the order immediately, and notify your credit card company that you want a new card with a different number. A second battery can be a good thing to have, as can (if you travel) a second charger. Go to Sterlingtek (external link) for those.

Any "deal" tripod will be a waste of money. Figure on around $200 for a good tripod you won't need to replace within the first couple of months (we have a tripod sticky here and lots more threads available via the Forum's Search function or the "similar threads" list at the bottom of every thread).

Bags - personal preference and a question of how much you'll want to carry in it. Some of us have extensive collections for a variety of situations:

IMAGE: http://jonbarrettphoto.smugmug.com/photos/826444481_yHbVN-XL-1.jpg
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Domke bag - rugged, sturdy, weather-resistant, and easy to work out of. Backpacks may be weather-resistant, but generally fail to meet the other criteria I mentioned.

Memory cards - Most current cameras will let you put 300 or so RAW files (and about 4x that in JPEG) on an 8 GB card. Unless you shoot a whole lot every week, that's more than big enough. My brand of choice is SanDisk. Others will recommend Transcend or Lexar, but SanDisk has, day in and day out, the most consistent reliability (they have had batches of bad cards, seems to pop up every 2-3 years, but only in limited size ranges). Most other brands are problematic.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 24, 2011 14:23 |  #3

You should have gotten a battery and a charger with your camera and you will obviously need memory cards. After that I would get a tripod and a camera bag. Then it depends on what kind of photography you are doing, sports, portrait, landscape, ect. One lens that is cheap and actually a steal is the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 (aka fantastic plastic/nifty fifty) which you can pick up at B&H for $119.

stevewf1
776 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 24, 2011 16:46 |  #4

You're going to need some of the "basics" you've mentioned, but before you get too caught up in the gear/gadget mania with your new hobby...

Also pick up this or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com …aphs-Camera/dp/0817439390 (external link)

Steve

tomphot
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 24, 2011 21:24 |  #5

stevewf1 wrote in post #13446756 (external link)
You're going to need some of the "basics" you've mentioned, but before you get too caught up in the gear/gadget mania with your new hobby...

Also pick up this or something similar:

http://www.amazon.com …aphs-Camera/dp/0817439390 (external link)

+1 for the book Understanding Exposure. There is nothing better than getting the basics down.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 25, 2011 18:06 |  #6

tomphot wrote in post #13447640 (external link)
+1 for the book Understanding Exposure. There is nothing better than getting the basics down.

+2

...and, don't go crazy on the protective and/or cleaning stuff. A Rocket Blower and a little caution should be all you need. The LCD screen is fairly durable and not expensive to replace. And, a lens hood seems to provide better protection than a filter.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links

1,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to get for new camera? First time photographer. Any kits availabke?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.