Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how do you know a wedding requires 2nd and 3rd shooter?

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 23, 2011 21:09 |  #1

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 23, 2011 21:12 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

if it's a wedding, you need a 2nd shooter..if it's a big wedding, you need more.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2011 21:28 |  #3

Sometimes by the amount of people and the specific client requests.

If you arent able to take getting ready shots of the groom then you will need a 2nd shooter.

Do you need to take lighting out on location and need help? If so having a 2nd shooter will surely help.

Does the client need lots and lots of candid shots of the guests? Then you will need a 2nd shooter.

etc etc etc etc....

each wedding is different, so only you will know the answer.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 23, 2011 21:50 |  #4

If you need to be in 2 different places at once, then you might need a second shooter.

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 23, 2011 22:29 |  #5

nicksan wrote in post #13443656 (external link)
If you need to be in 2 different places at once, then you might need a second shooter.

ok thank you for your advice

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

jcolman
Goldmember
2,657 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2011 22:52 |  #6

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13443461 (external link)
if it's a wedding, you need a 2nd shooter..if it's a big wedding, you need more.

I disagree. Out of the over 60 weddings I have shot to date, only three of them required a second shooter.....and that was at the brides request. I am perfectly capable of shooting a wedding solo.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 23, 2011 23:52 |  #7

I've never required a second shooter. My assistant shoots, but if she didn't that'd be fine. If two things are happening at once, like the bride and the groom getting ready at the same time, reschedule one by making it earlier - the guys usually.

If it can't be rescheduled, and it's critical to capture, then you need another photographer.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 24, 2011 02:16 |  #8

More than one photographer is a luxury, not a requirement. Sometimes it's nothing more than a pitch line for a wedding photographer who has nothing else to offer.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 24, 2011 05:20 |  #9

The answer to your question exactly as you asked it . . . you know the wedding requires a 2nd or 3rd photographer when the client is willing to pay for it.

I'm purely a la carte. If they really want the guy's prep photographed, that's going to require a second photographer and they will need to add $x to the cost of their package. If they still think it's worth it, then I know a second photographer is required.

Beyond that, I've had couples come in and see me assuming the need a second photographer because they have a lot of guests; 250+. That just doesn't matter to me. I'm more inclined to want a second because of a large wedding party. It's hard to corral a wedding party of 16+ people. It's also nice to have someone working with the guys while I'm shooting the ladies. And I'll express that value/benefit to the client, but it's still up to them to pay for it or not.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 24, 2011 07:25 |  #10

Never needed, nor wanted a second shooter. I'm in the same boat as jcoleman, similar number of weddings and it has never even entered my mind to get a second.

Fact is I can't be in two places at once which is exactly the reason why I will never hire a second... because they aren't me.

Peter

SchwettyLens
197 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 24, 2011 08:45 |  #11

IMO all weddings need to have 2nd shooter who is capable covering the whole wedding by him/her self. What if you got in to a car accident at the last minute? Could happen.

http://usagani.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 24, 2011 09:01 |  #12

Second Shooter..Different perspective:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 24, 2011 09:32 |  #13

SchwettyLens wrote in post #13445114 (external link)
What if you got in to a car accident at the last minute?

Simple... I get in a car accident. Having a second shooter doesn't replace "me" it ensures a photographer is present which is a whole different matter. I get hired for how "I" shoot and "my" style.

scorpio_e wrote in post #13445164 (external link)
Second Shooter..Different perspective:)

But not "my" perspective which in my case is what I am selling.

I'm not trying to be egotistical but a second shooter doesn't capture what I see as they aren't me. Likewise I don't sell what other people see I sell what I see, I tell the story the way I tell it. Which is why I'll never hire a second.

Peter

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2011 12:52 |  #14

SchwettyLens wrote in post #13445114 (external link)
IMO all weddings need to have 2nd shooter who is capable covering the whole wedding by him/her self. What if you got in to a car accident at the last minute? Could happen.

That would be a back-up shooter, not a second shooter. Because if only one photographer shows up, they can't be a second shooter, could they?

The answer to this one is simple. If they pay for it, they'll get a second shooter. Same with the third shooter. I don't waste my second shooters time if they're not going to get paid for their work.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

SchwettyLens
197 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 24, 2011 13:11 |  #15

Well... I always use one. Of course they get paid. Build it into the budget.

http://usagani.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.