Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you like about this look.

NivoMedia
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 26, 2011 00:55 |  #1

Testing some pp- let me know how you feel about it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i8.photobucket.​com …9/maglook_sideb​yside3.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i8.photobucket.​com …99/maglook_side​byside.jpg (external link)

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

sponsored links
mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2011 05:19 |  #2

For me personally, it looks like an iPhone app style processing? I think it makes your images look soft.

Deviant Art (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2011 05:31 |  #3

The shots on the left appear more 'real' to me than the ones on the left, and so I like them more. I'm guessing that the ones on the right are the processed shots?

NivoMedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 26, 2011 06:49 |  #4

Yes the photos on the left are RAW right out of the camera, the ones on the right are PP - my client has asked me for this style, soft, blown out, with not much darkness. Im still working on perfecting the effect.

thanks for the input

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2011 06:52 |  #5

frugivore wrote in post #13452853 (external link)
The shots on the left appear more 'real' to me than the ones on the left, and so I like them more. I'm guessing that the ones on the right are the processed shots?

on of your lefts should be a right, am I right?

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2011 08:20 |  #6

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13452963 (external link)
on of your lefts should be a right, am I right?

Yes, you are right. The left on the right should be a right, while the left on the left is right. :D

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 26, 2011 08:32 |  #7

Not much really to comment about. Very subtle variations of ordinary photos.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

NivoMedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 26, 2011 08:39 |  #8

highway0691 wrote in post #13453155 (external link)
Not much really to comment about. Very subtle variations of ordinary photos.

Thank you for your incredible insight, thank you for taking the time to help a fellow member improve his photography! I will tell the story of your assistance to my grandchildren as they sit around the fire! But help me out, when my youngest looks up at me, with those big eyes... and asks.... "grandpa.. if there is not much to comment about..why comment at all?" and I will look back at this teared up child and reply "i just don't know"

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 26, 2011 09:02 |  #9

The change isn't dramatic, but the right ones appear to me to be softer and warmer. While that can make for nice portraits, it tends to work against detail shots (which both of those are) IMO.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2011 09:07 |  #10

frugivore wrote in post #13453132 (external link)
Yes, you are right. The left on the right should be a right, while the left on the left is right. :D

confussion resolved... nothing left to confirm!

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

littlebay
55 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 26, 2011 09:45 |  #11

The lefts have it for me, too- but the difference is really pretty subtle.

- Jenifer
I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building. - Charles M. Schulz

NivoMedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 26, 2011 09:50 |  #12

Peacefield wrote in post #13453244 (external link)
The change isn't dramatic, but the right ones appear to me to be softer and warmer. While that can make for nice portraits, it tends to work against detail shots (which both of those are) IMO.

ahh, I will keep that in mind - thank you. What would you recommend as PP for details, something that I am getting asked more and more, a modern-vintage type look that brides see in the magazines. I do agree that this PP looks great on portraits.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 26, 2011 12:21 |  #13

NivoMedia wrote in post #13453373 (external link)
ahh, I will keep that in mind - thank you. What would you recommend as PP for details, something that I am getting asked more and more, a modern-vintage type look that brides see in the magazines. I do agree that this PP looks great on portraits.

That's a hard question to answer, mostly because now your talking about the definition of your personal style and even what should govern it.

For me, when it comes down to the detail shots, I don't look for the PP to give me my look, it's all about the way I shoot them: the angle, the use of light, framing, and other concepts. For PP of details, I tend to do little more than some sharpening and maybe adding some clarity as needed, but it's the photography and not the PP that defines my look.

It's also worth noting (here's the philosophical part) that I don't let my clients define my look, I define my look and clients seek me out because it resonates with them. So I'm never struggling to try to create a look that they're asking for; I have my look and that's exactly what they want when they hire me.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

albertaskater
347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 27, 2011 11:03 |  #14

If a client is asking for these I'm guessing they are keen on the whole vintage
Photo fad. I like your lhs photos better, bevause they are clean and sharp. Rhs is warm and fuzzy, haha. I would be tempted to try to save them from themselves by providing both the vintage effect, and the classic, clean shot that won't fall out of vogue in 5 or 10 years. Quite easily solved by having your own personal style of processing that the client can take it or leave it.

In short, I don't mind the effect, but considering the request deeper, I think the clients will be sorry they asked for it eventually, and it's up to you to lead them and influence them into proper decision making. :). In fact, if they are sophisticated enough, you can show them this test and show them how clean and sharp the originals are and what that style of processing does.

Erika
7D, 350D, 18-55 XT kit, 18-135 IS, 50 1.4, 70-200 f/2.8L non IS, 430 EX II

NivoMedia
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 27, 2011 20:10 |  #15

Peacefield wrote in post #13453876 (external link)
That's a hard question to answer, mostly because now your talking about the definition of your personal style and even what should govern it.

For me, when it comes down to the detail shots, I don't look for the PP to give me my look, it's all about the way I shoot them: the angle, the use of light, framing, and other concepts. For PP of details, I tend to do little more than some sharpening and maybe adding some clarity as needed, but it's the photography and not the PP that defines my look.

It's also worth noting (here's the philosophical part) that I don't let my clients define my look, I define my look and clients seek me out because it resonates with them. So I'm never struggling to try to create a look that they're asking for; I have my look and that's exactly what they want when they hire me.

albertaskater wrote in post #13457675 (external link)
If a client is asking for these I'm guessing they are keen on the whole vintage
Photo fad. I like your lhs photos better, bevause they are clean and sharp. Rhs is warm and fuzzy, haha. I would be tempted to try to save them from themselves by providing both the vintage effect, and the classic, clean shot that won't fall out of vogue in 5 or 10 years. Quite easily solved by having your own personal style of processing that the client can take it or leave it.

In short, I don't mind the effect, but considering the request deeper, I think the clients will be sorry they asked for it eventually, and it's up to you to lead them and influence them into proper decision making. :). In fact, if they are sophisticated enough, you can show them this test and show them how clean and sharp the originals are and what that style of processing does.

I agree with both of you, but since this is my main source of income - I do not have the freedom to sell my own style exclusively, as much as I want to :D

Thank you for everyone's input.

sponsored links

2,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you like about this look.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.