Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What do you use to present your work to your couples"
iPad
40%
Macbook
4%
Laptop
12%
Just Prints
28%
Other Tablets
16%

24 voters, 25 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When presenting your work to your couples

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 26, 2011 08:49 |  #1

Hey guys,

I just need a bit of help with something.

I have been contemplating on getting an iPad to use when I am presenting my work to my prospects and I am trying to justify the cost. Just trying to get an idea what you guys currently use.

To those who currently use iPad for their presentation, what are the benefits of using an iPad and what were you using before iPad?

Don't Click This (external link)

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 26, 2011 09:01 |  #2

You didn't include an option for what I do. Presently, I have a two monitor desktop PC with a large flat-screen monitor that faces the client.

As my kids mature and move on, I find we no longer need both a living room and family room so I've taken over the living room as studio space (a nice 12x24 room w/a lot of windows). I'm probaby going to transition to presenting client's images to them in this more comfortable setting with a large flat screen TV.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

rhommel
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 26, 2011 09:09 |  #3

Peacefield wrote in post #13453238 (external link)
You didn't include an option for what I do. Presently, I have a two monitor desktop PC with a large flat-screen monitor that faces the client.

As my kids mature and move on, I find we no longer need both a living room and family room so I've taken over the living room as studio space (a nice 12x24 room w/a lot of windows). I'm probaby going to transition to presenting client's images to them in this more comfortable setting with a large flat screen TV.

I apologize, I totally forgot about the studio setting. So what do you use when you have to go to your clients location?

I guess my question is more directed on the instance that you have to go to the clients or have to meet up at a coffee shop or a restaurant. :)

Since I am from the suburbs and most of my clients are from the city, I always find myself going to them as I don't want them to do the traveling and most of my clients appreciate the fact that I go to them than the other way around.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,658 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2011 10:27 |  #4

My potential clients have already seen my work on my website so showing them the same thing on an ipad doesn't make sense to me. I show albums and prints.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

James504
431 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 26, 2011 10:31 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

voted other, because apple isnt the only thing out there to display images....

Tablet Android for displaying or website

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 26, 2011 11:59 |  #6

My option was not there. I show exactly what they get in the packages I offer. Albums.
4 out of the 5 options you have are digital displays. If my packages included an iPad, tablet or laptop that would be how I present them.
I do bring my iPad out when I want to show shots that are not in an album. Maybe from their venue or in a style they are interested in.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 26, 2011 12:29 |  #7

rhommel wrote in post #13453265 (external link)
I apologize, I totally forgot about the studio setting. So what do you use when you have to go to your clients location?

I guess my question is more directed on the instance that you have to go to the clients or have to meet up at a coffee shop or a restaurant. :)

Since I am from the suburbs and most of my clients are from the city, I always find myself going to them as I don't want them to do the traveling and most of my clients appreciate the fact that I go to them than the other way around.

Your situation and mine are similar; I'm about 50 miles outside of NYC, but it's real rural by the time you get that far out and many of my clients will come from more than an hour away to see me. While I'm not unwilling to meet them somewhere, I resist it for a number of reasons.

One is time; if I only close at about 50%, once you add in the travel, that's a lot of sales time that doesn't produce any revenue. Meeting them in my office affords me a greater sense of professionalism and helps to express that I'm not just a GWC. Most importantly, I do a nice business in albums and other stuff and it's too hard to travel with all of my samples.

Nonetheless, I will still meet in a Starbucks or something like that when it's the right thing to do in which case I will just use a basic PC laptop. However, knowing that connections are slower than at home and I want to minimize the likelihood that my time is going to a meeting that doesn't result in a sale, I make sure they've already thoroughly reviewed my website and portfolio before meeting.

If I have 30 sales calls/year, I might meet with someone remotely only once or twice.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 27, 2011 00:36 |  #8

I primarily use albums. I also use a 40" LCD TV, connected to my PC. I don't go to a customers location, they always come to my office.

I'm considering using my Asus Transformer to show customers images. It has a really nice IPS screen, and I think it might be more interactive and interesting.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

johnpricephotography
94 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 27, 2011 12:49 |  #9

zagiace wrote in post #13453792 (external link)
My option was not there. I show exactly what they get in the packages I offer. Albums.
4 out of the 5 options you have are digital displays. If my packages included an iPad, tablet or laptop that would be how I present them.
I do bring my iPad out when I want to show shots that are not in an album. Maybe from their venue or in a style they are interested in.

Ditto to the above,
They would have already seen my work, When i meet with clients i only show them what they will actually get in there package,

Quote: Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
Nottingham Wedding Photographer - John Price Photography (external link)
2 x 5dmkIV, 1 x 5dmkIII all gripped, Canon 24-70 2.8LmkII, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkII, Canon 17-40L and ton more.. 5x 600ex-rt's

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 27, 2011 13:37 |  #10

albums and prints work for me :)

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 29, 2011 20:52 as a reply to  @ Svetlana's post |  #11

I use my theater system, 46 inch TV for slide shows and pics something like (external link)this , than albums.

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

rhommel
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 30, 2011 06:31 |  #12

thanks for the reply guys.

Since I am not a full-time photog and don't have a 'real' studio, I always go to my clients' place or we meet up at a coffee shop/restaurant where we can sit down and chat. It's also nice to see their reactions to my photos when they view them the first time :)

I do always bring a couple of albums as it is a product that I offer. But since I only have a few photos on my website, I always tell my prospects that I will show them more photos when we meet.
I have 20 weddings (folders) on my laptop and have about 50 photos per wedding. I let my clients choose which wedding they want to view. I notice though that they will only open a couple of weddings and view a few photos from each before we go into the contract signing.

The problem with my laptop is that it's pretty bulky/heavy. I did go ahead and bought an iPad2. we'll see how it goes when I meet a couple tomorrow for their oct '12 wedding :)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 30, 2011 09:19 |  #13

I only bring an album to consults. I meet at coffee shops too.

If I am meeting to show a client their photos in person (I do that for boudoir because I don't post boudoir photos online) then I use my laptop. Personally, I find ipads and tablets to be seriously overhyped. Between the super compact laptops out there and smartphones, I don't see why I'd ever want to buy YET ANOTHER FREAKING DEVICE to sync, maintain, upgrade, and buy totally proprietary software for. A tablet doesn't make your photos look any better, nor is it "more interactive" in any way more than a laptop is. (BTW, many laptops now have multitouch screens) It's cool but that's about it.

Now if you don't even own a laptop in the first place (like Tim) then yeah, a tablet could be nice.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 30, 2011 10:04 |  #14

I meet potential clients in coffee shops and bring my laptop to run a fairly long slideshow and I bring a couple of sample albums.

I bought an iPad in hopes of using that during consultations, but I find my 13" MacBook Pro is better for me.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 30, 2011 10:12 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #15

iPad and albums for me.

-Dave

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
When presenting your work to your couples
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.