Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 17:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monopods ?

lucasmcd
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2011 17:33 |  #1

I am currently researching for a CF Tripod and after looking around I started to wonder about getting a monopod , do you find having a monopod useful or do they end up on the shelf gathering dust ?

I know that one of the Benro tripods can have one of the legs used as a monopod but was wondering if it was worth getting a dedicated pod , the largest lens I plan on using will be something in the 400mm range , either the 5.6 prime or 100-400 zoom which I plan on getting next year.

Olympus OMD EM-5

12-50 , 25 F1.4 , 60 F2.8 Macro , 75 F1.8 , Tripod 3LT Brian , Lee Seven5 .

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 26, 2011 18:06 |  #2

I was using my monopod today, chasing eagles, herons and the odd vulture with the 300 f/2.8 on it. I no longer consider myself able to manage an afternoon of working with that lens without some kind of support and a tripod would be just too awkward. Truth be told, I use my monopod more than my tripods. However, I don't consider a monopod a substitute for a tripod, or vice versa.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 26, 2011 18:09 |  #3

I use both extensively. Because of what I shoot, I use the monopod almost every time I am out.

Even if if am taking a tripod, I often use the monopod to help carry a body with a long lens attached. Sling it over your shoulder a lot like a shotgun and off you go.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

lucasmcd
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2011 18:52 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #4

Thanks guys

I use my monopod more than my tripods. However, I don't consider a monopod a substitute for a tripod, or vice versa.

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards getting a pod first , I am not really into landscapes , more animals / birds / macro , so I think I will get more use out of a monopod out in the field.

Will have to do some more research , don't know whether to get the Benro with the option of using one of the legs as a pod or get a dedicated monopod.

I like the Gitzo's but boy are they expensive , but I only want to buy once , not upgrade later ;)

Olympus OMD EM-5

Patom
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2011

Nov 26, 2011 20:22 as a reply to  @ lucasmcd's post |  #5

alright first post here!!?

I bought a Benro monopod because it fell into my lap at a good price. Afterwards I saw the transfunctional tripod and felt if I could get both in one piece I could sell the mono. The mono pod that comes as a leg on my Benro tripod just isn't the same as a dedicated monopod.....so now I'll keep both. The 1691BO tripod is fine as a tripod but can't compare to the 96ex monopod as a monopod. It is too samll a diameter.

I think those numbers are right.

lucasmcd
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2011 20:58 as a reply to  @ Patom's post |  #6

Thanks Patom , I am starting to lean towards a dedicated monopod , congrats on your first post :)

Olympus OMD EM-5

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 27, 2011 13:31 |  #7

why not get a tripod where you can detach one of the legs to become a monopod?

Gearlist

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 27, 2011 14:39 |  #8

kenwood33 wrote in post #13458299 (external link)
why not get a tripod where you can detach one of the legs to become a monopod?

Maybe because . . .

Patom wrote in post #13455584 (external link)
alright first post here!!?

I bought a Benro monopod because it fell into my lap at a good price. Afterwards I saw the transfunctional tripod and felt if I could get both in one piece I could sell the mono. The mono pod that comes as a leg on my Benro tripod just isn't the same as a dedicated monopod.....so now I'll keep both. The 1691BO tripod is fine as a tripod but can't compare to the 96ex monopod as a monopod. It is too samll a diameter.

I think those numbers are right.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

lucasmcd
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:21 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #9

why not get a tripod where you can detach one of the legs to become a monopod

The Gitzo monopod is rated at 25kg ( which will future proof me ) versus the Benro leg at 12kg ? I will also feel more safe using the Gitzo as a walking stick when hiking , also the Gitzo is 155.5cm verus the Benro at 139.0cm which puts the Gitzo at my eye level with a monopod head .

I also like the fact the Gitzo folds down to 41.5cm and weighs only 750 grams which makes it very easy to pack in a backpack , I think I have talked myself into getting one ;)

Olympus OMD EM-5

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 27, 2011 17:02 |  #10

lucasmcd wrote in post #13459003 (external link)
The Gitzo monopod is rated at 25kg ( which will future proof me ) versus the Benro leg at 12kg ? I will also feel more safe using the Gitzo as a walking stick when hiking , also the Gitzo is 155.5cm verus the Benro at 139.0cm which puts the Gitzo at my eye level with a monopod head .

I also like the fact the Gitzo folds down to 41.5cm and weighs only 750 grams which makes it very easy to pack in a backpack , I think I have talked myself into getting one ;)

If you are willing to go to the price of a Gitzo Monopod then have a look at the Gitzo GM 2541. It is a bit cheaper, quite a bit lighter and will support anything you are likely to buy.
I was looking at the GM 5541 for my 600 F4 IS but tried it on my 2541 first - not perfect but it supports the lens very well - it just looks like it won't! I can't see me buying a bigger monopod in the foreseeable future as it supports anything Canon currently make.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 27, 2011 17:10 |  #11

The monopod I mentioned above was the Gitzo 3551. I was using it above eye level, since I was shooting eagles perched in trees pretty close in (camera angled up at 40-60 deg.) so I didn't need to stoop. And my wife's used it as a hiking stick on occasion (very rocky trails).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 27, 2011 17:17 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #12

FWIW, When I am out, using my 300mm, I use a Manfrotto monopod http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …9B_3_Section_Mo​nopod.html (external link). They make a shoulder adapter (361) that folds down, when not in use. When using it, it makes a brace from the monopod to your shoulder.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …1_Shoulder_Brac​e_for.html (external link). You may want to check it out. As stated before, it does not replace a tripod.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2011 17:23 |  #13

lucasmcd wrote in post #13455272 (external link)
I like the Gitzo's but boy are they expensive , but I only want to buy once , not upgrade later ;)

Gitzo tripod very nice and worth every penny but for monopods you get something like bogen entry level 680B or 679B for $50 and you all set. They hold any supertele besides 1200mm f5.6 with a 1 series body and unlike CF tripods with monopods you don't gain any weight reductions by going CF route.

The bigger expense is Arca swiss plate and clamp if you don't like bolting your lens to the monopod all the time.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Can0nCam
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 27, 2011 20:34 |  #14

I love using a monopod when i shoot and a tripod is too heavy

lucasmcd
THREAD ­ STARTER
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 28, 2011 03:48 as a reply to  @ Can0nCam's post |  #15

The bigger expense is Arca swiss plate and clamp if you don't like bolting your lens to the monopod all the time

I don't like the idea of bolting the lens straight onto the monopod so I am also looking at the RRS MH-01-40LR: Monopod Head ,

Olympus OMD EM-5

sponsored links

4,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monopods ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.