Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

out of camera vs edits, lets see them

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 28, 2011 05:07 |  #31

I'm pretty happy with how this one came out. I was walking through a newly-renovated/updated museum in Charlotte and was amused to see some of my favorite Detroit drinks (Faygo, Vernors) on display.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6417791319_922906164e_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6101/6417790189_df59f352c3_b.jpg

Edited in Elements 9, the main thing I did was use the Correct Camera Distortion filter to straighten things out. Then I fiddled with the Levels and sharpened a little and voila -- a picture I like better.

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 28, 2011 07:02 |  #32

-Douglas- wrote in post #13458714 (external link)
Rene, top right corner of the laptop is missing!

I noticed. Designer messed up and cropped the image too close...

Should put up a correct version on my website though ;)
Thanks.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,347 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 28, 2011 11:20 |  #33

As shot, through the very dirty windows atop the Washington Monument

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Asshot-7.jpg

As adjusted in Lightroom
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/LRadjusted.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

cameronrad
486 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2011 07:24 |  #34

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

blog (external link) | website (external link) | facebook (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2011 07:47 |  #35

I'm not seeing much of a difference in some of these posts. This is what I imagined this thread would look like. Or something similar.

This was taken with a piece of 4x5 welding glass (green in color obviously) with a 30 second exposure on a very bright morning. I must admit that I cheated here a bit. The first one was used to set the WB. I took another shot and edited that one and the second image you see here is the final result of that. But the fact that the second one was shot with a dark green piece of welding glass almost seems impossible that the second image could look as good as it does.

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6215/6359004169_206d92a75e_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6111/6359040757_ccb903072c_z.jpg

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 29, 2011 07:54 |  #36

SOOC

IMAGE NOT FOUND
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

After the usual editing process..
IMAGE NOT FOUND
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

katodog
Goldmember
4,125 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2011 07:55 |  #37

CameraMan wrote in post #13467627 (external link)
I'm not seeing much of a difference in some of these posts. This is what I imagined this thread would look like. Or something similar.

You must not have seen my posts...

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 29, 2011 08:01 |  #38

CameraMan wrote in post #13467627 (external link)

This was taken with a piece of 4x5 welding glass (green in color obviously) with a 30 second exposure on a very bright morning. I must admit that I cheated here a bit. The first one was used to set the WB. I took another shot and edited that one and the second image you see here is the final result of that. But the fact that the second one was shot with a dark green piece of welding glass almost seems impossible that the second image could look as good as it does.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I dont quite get what you are saying? Did you take one with the welding glass and one with the just the plain lens and then merged them in photoshop? If you did, then how did you merge them?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2011 08:05 |  #39

katodog wrote in post #13467658 (external link)
You must not have seen my posts...

I have. I guess I was just expecting something more drastic. Your edits are good but at the same time, with the proper software, they are are quick fixes.

Here's another one I did similar but without using WB method. This was all done in Photoshop. Pardon the screen grabs. There is another thread similar to this one that requires the screen grabs. :D

This was a 5 minute capture of a very busy highway.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5231/5887057447_ccd79581be_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/5887625964_4f60232f8b_z.jpg

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2011 23:54 |  #40

SOOC

IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s11/v35/p839510271.jpg

Post Pixel Pushing
IMAGE: http://crosswindimages.com/img/s11/v3/p945130730.jpg
1DMkIV +500mm f/4L .. 1/125 @ f/8 ISO 400

Crop
Screen Layer (Masked off everything but the plane to raise its exposure)
Dodge Highlights
Burn Shadows
Slight gradient to the sky
Slight vignette around the edges

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 01, 2011 14:55 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #41

One of my more extreme edits

IMAGE: http://www.rivendomain.com/Tagnal/Pictures/BeforeAfter/IMG_4393_800before.JPG

IMAGE: http://www.rivendomain.com/Tagnal/Pictures/BeforeAfter/IMG_4393_800after.JPG

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 01, 2011 15:22 |  #42

boerewors wrote in post #13467680 (external link)
I dont quite get what you are saying? Did you take one with the welding glass and one with the just the plain lens and then merged them in photoshop? If you did, then how did you merge them?

Nope. Both shots are with the Welding Glass. The second shot had the White Balance adjusted to the first shot. It almost corrected all of the green. I had just a little tweaking to do on the second shot.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2011 23:54 |  #43

CameraMan wrote in post #13480937 (external link)
Nope. Both shots are with the Welding Glass. The second shot had the White Balance adjusted to the first shot. It almost corrected all of the green. I had just a little tweaking to do on the second shot.

couldnt you have taken one shot in RAW and be done with it?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2011 23:58 |  #44

tagnal wrote in post #13480791 (external link)
One of my more extreme edits

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

i really like this one! Great PP skills you have there.. is this all photoshop or did you use plugins and stuff like that to get the resulting image?

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2011 02:10 |  #45

boerewors wrote in post #13482966 (external link)
i really like this one! Great PP skills you have there.. is this all photoshop or did you use plugins and stuff like that to get the resulting image?

I don't know why, but when I reduced the size of the original for the post above, it looks much darker than it originally was...

Anyways, I did this edit about a year ago. All I had back then was DPP and GIMP. I remember having to bump up the shadows a bit, and then decided to desaturate them which made them look a bit cleaner and it also helped to make the sky stand out more as well. The sky and highlights just used different saturation and tone adjustments.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links

20,268 views & 0 likes for this thread
out of camera vs edits, lets see them
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.