Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you still shoot an "old" body?

FinalCut747
609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 27, 2011 15:45 |  #31

My 20D still looks like I just took it out of the box. No damage at all or anything externally.

5D Mk. II, 24-70 f2.8L.
Fotodiox Nikon F adaptor
Nikon F3, Nikkor 20 mm f3.5, Nikkor 28mm f3.5, Nikkor 105 f2.5, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5, Nikkor 300mm f4.5

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2011 15:54 |  #32

If you take care of these things they'll pretty much live out their life expectancy. Maybe longer. I have my Rebel XT that I know I've taken more than 50,000 shots with. I think it may have another 50,000 or more left in it. Is there a place on the Canon site where it lists how many shots the sensor is rated for? I know the 5D Mark II is rated for something like 150,000 shots or something like that.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2011 15:55 |  #33

When I bought my three DSLR bodies, the 30D 5 years ago, then the 5DC, and finally 4 years ago the 1D3, I did so considering the fact that each of these bodies was "top of the line" for its class.

And, I'm glad I did, because my finances took a nose-dive thanks to the collapse in '08, and since then I have no problem with the urge to upgrade!

I should say that "printability" was and is a real consideration. My "standard" print/framing size is a 12x18 print (from a "native" DSLR). Now, I've made 12x16 prints from 4, 5 and 6 MP compacts/point and shoots, and since the images have a nice visual appeal they proudly adorn my walls. But, my 30D is really at the "sweet spot" for that size of print. I can get up close with a magnifying glass to a 12x18 30D print and the fine detail is crisp and sharp. In other words, one could hang in a gallery with no sweat. And, you could get larger prints as well that would hold up quite nicely. And, needless to say, the 5D Classic as well as the 1D3 could produce larger "pristine" prints as well.

I don't need huge prints, and I could supply images for stock agencies (although I never have) so unless I get a well-paying gig for posters that would rival ones produces from MF cameras, well, I'm just not "in the market" for one of the newer bodies.

But, it's not a matter of smugly saying "I shoot with an older body" thinking "I'm a little bit superior to all these whipper-snappers". It's knowing that my bodies still produce high-quality images that meet my needs, and I don't need the ultra-megapixels and the super features of the newer bodies.

'Course, I do admit that some of the newer bodies have some very nice offerings -- more resolution at higher ISOs is definitely a plus to anyone who ever shoots in low light as well as anyone shooting scenes/subject where cropping is a must. Having to crop a shot of, say, a distant critter shot at a high ISO and seeing the resulting noise is nothing to be "smug" about. There's a reason why I pick my 1D3 for such conditions...and, if someone were to give me the upcoming 1DX, I'd gladly accept it in a heartbeat:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Nov 27, 2011 15:57 |  #34

CameraMan wrote in post #13458912 (external link)
If you take care of these things they'll pretty much live out their life expectancy. Maybe longer. I have my Rebel XT that I know I've taken more than 50,000 shots with. I think it may have another 50,000 or more left in it. Is there a place on the Canon site where it lists how many shots the sensor is rated for? I know the 5D Mark II is rated for something like 150,000 shots or something like that.

Not the sensor--it's shutter failure you worry about.

I have 3 40D's around 100k-- ;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,431 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 27, 2011 15:58 |  #35

Wrench wrote in post #13457537 (external link)
In the past week I've gotten three comments from other photogs I've run into.

"...dang, how old is that?"

"...you need to upgrade. Want to try using my 5D MK2?"

"...COOL! A vintage DSLR?"

WTF? So what if I'm shooting an 8 year old 10D. It does what I want it to do, I'm attached to it and I can't afford a new, rooty-kazoot status symbol.

So how many of you out there are still using the older models?

You can find a 30D for under $300, and it would be a tremendous upgrade over the 10D. Just the start up times and write speeds to the card would be worth the upgrade. Might be time to consider a nice and inexpensive upgrade! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2011 16:00 |  #36

CameraMan wrote in post #13458912 (external link)

I've never heard of a sensor life-expectancy. The first "serious" thing to go is normally the shutter. There are "unofficial" shutter life-expectancy lists out there, but nothing that is guaranteed by Canon.

And then, you hear about little things like shutter button failures, and occasionally an electronic failure requiring a circuit board to be replaced. And then sensors do occasionally fail, but from what I've seen it's just a random thing, not tied into the age or the number of activations.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:05 |  #37

OK, yah, my friend lives by those actuation counts. :D That's part of the reason he won't buy a Rebel because I think he said they are rated at 50,000 Actuation's... Who knows.

but I do hear what your saying about the other things too. My 40D came with a screwy shutter button. It took me pressing it down a few thousand times (with it off) to loosen up whatever was under there. Now it fires fine 90% of the time. Occasionally I have to jiggle the button to get it to fire. But it works fine for my usage.

It wasn't until I bought a battery grip that I knew it was just the button and not the camera because the button on the grip works fine.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 27, 2011 16:07 |  #38

Still using my trusty dusty XT :D.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 27, 2011 16:13 as a reply to  @ TheBurningCrown's post |  #39

I'm 56 years of age so yes, I shoot with an old body,, but my brain still tells me I'm 25.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 27, 2011 16:13 |  #40

joeseph wrote in post #13458710 (external link)
simple answer is that it isn't the age of your equipment, it's how well you use it that matters.

bw!

I do still use my 30D. I won't sell it. And very few people could pick out a shot from it vs a 1D mark anything.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Nov 27, 2011 16:15 |  #41

yogestee wrote in post #13458971 (external link)
I'm 56 years of age so yes, I shoot with an old body,, but my brain still tells me I'm 25.

But how is the actual performance--mid 50's too;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:17 |  #42

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13458956 (external link)
Still using my trusty dusty XT :D.

I'd be using my XT too but my old eyes can't see the screen anymore! 3" is the smallest I can go now! :lol:

siginu
125 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 27, 2011 16:19 as a reply to  @ TheBurningCrown's post |  #43

I moved from the 10D to a 30D this year. I would not have bothered except for the fact that the 10D wasn't compatible with an aftermarket flash using ETTL (or was it ETTL2?...). I got great shots using either body and consider myself still the limiting factor in most cases. Aside from the aforementioned flash situation, the main thing I appreciate on the 30D is the spot metering - really a minor thing in all reality.

[EOS30D] [Elan] [EF 50mm 1.8 I] [EF 28-105mm] [EF-S 18-55mm IS] [Sigma 100-300mm]

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:20 |  #44

yogestee wrote in post #13458971 (external link)

I feel like I'm 18 still. Must be that old clock running faster thing huh... :lol:

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 27, 2011 16:20 |  #45

I bet she does

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6100/6350401354_8a5e0cc4f0_z.jpg

so whilst the body is new the lens was 19 years old

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sponsored links

10,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you still shoot an "old" body?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.