Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you still shoot an "old" body?

guyzer09
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 27, 2011 16:22 |  #46

First camera was the 3.3mp D30, now I shoot 5d mkI. I guess people still call the 5d old but it still stands as one of canons flagship careras. My 10d's shutter is dying but I was shooting that as well. I really like how simple the older cameras are compared to my 50d and t2i I used to have.

Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

sponsored links
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:27 |  #47

Too many unwanted features in the new ones. Video especially. I don't care how cheap it is to put it in there. They need to make one with and one without video. If they want to make them the same price then that's fine with me.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

THE ­ Phreak
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 27, 2011 16:27 |  #48

I shoot with a 1D classic and it still takes great pictures

1D classic | 50mm 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 270ex flash

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 27, 2011 17:03 |  #49

CameraMan wrote in post #13459028 (external link)
Too many unwanted features in the new ones. Video especially. I don't care how cheap it is to put it in there. They need to make one with and one without video. If they want to make them the same price then that's fine with me.

i truly don't care about the video capabilities......with that said...it's on there, never gets in the way...so what the heck.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

dirtyhucker
271 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 27, 2011 17:07 |  #50

I have a 10D as a backup to my old 50D now its still backup to my new 7D. After edits, I cant tell the difference between the 50D and 10D shots.

10d &70-200f4l

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i259.photobucke​t.com …rtyhucker3/CRW_​8485_1.jpg (external link)

50d &70-200f4l
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i259.photobucke​t.com …dirtyhucker3/IM​G_9548.jpg (external link)

7D, 70-200 f2.8ISII, 70-200 F4 IS, Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 8-16
My Web Site (external link)

SnapFire
230 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 27, 2011 17:11 |  #51

Just put my T2i down to buy a shiny new 5D. I've got no problem buying an older body. I'd love to grab a 20D to keep as a back-up. I also plan to grab a 1D Mark II so I have something a little faster in the bag.

SnapFire
Canon 5D
Canon 50D

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2011 19:41 |  #52

The only reason I would not own a 10D is because it's not quite good enough at high ISOs for my use.

I had a 40D and 30D, and I wanted to upgrade to 5D but keep one as second/backup. I sold the 40D and kept the [older] 30D because I got more money selling the 40D. The 30D was 90% as good as the 40D was and I don't regret it. Besides, they have matching controls. :)

Before I had the 40D, I sold my Rebel Xti to get an [older] 20D as a companion to my 30D, which I then sold for the 40D.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Ryan1524
153 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 27, 2011 19:54 |  #53

D70s. I get "wow, that's retro" or "That's ancient" all the time.

ryan - my flickr (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 27, 2011 21:34 |  #54

jbrand wrote in post #13458838 (external link)
I got one of those, along with a bunch of other FD gear (TLb, AT-1, etc). I've not had it out in a while though. By the time I worked up the courage to try to sell it, it was worth so little I decided to keep it. Lotta great pics rolled outta that camera, and it works as well as it ever did.

I think that is what some folks forget - it takes pictures as well as it ever did. Newer cameras don't necessarily take better pictures - but they (may) make make it easier to do so.

The only reason I walked away from them (and I was late in doing so), wasn't the functionality, but the move from film to digital. I'm still trying to fill in gaps that I have filled with FD lenses.

Jim

Still have my circa-1980 Canon F1 with the power winder and 50mm f/1.4 lens sitting on the mantle over the fireplace. I'd love to run a roll of film thru it but with age all of the body seals and the mirror damping cushion )which are apparently made out of some sort of foam rubber) have deteriorated and are crumbling. Canon will no longer service such old cameras so one of these days I need to find new seals if such things are even available and someone to go thru it. Not only do the seals need to be replaced but all of the pieces need to be cleaned out of the camera, its pretty much a mess inside.

LoganR
122 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 27, 2011 22:27 |  #55

CameraMan wrote in post #13458949 (external link)
OK, yah, my friend lives by those actuation counts. :D That's part of the reason he won't buy a Rebel because I think he said they are rated at 50,000 Actuation's... Who knows.

but I do hear what your saying about the other things too. My 40D came with a screwy shutter button. It took me pressing it down a few thousand times (with it off) to loosen up whatever was under there. Now it fires fine 90% of the time. Occasionally I have to jiggle the button to get it to fire. But it works fine for my usage.

It wasn't until I bought a battery grip that I knew it was just the button and not the camera because the button on the grip works fine.

Tell your friend he's wrong. T2i and t3i are rated at 100k.

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 28, 2011 06:24 |  #56

In a time where everyone's P&S has video and all of the people I met who just bought their first DSLR, they keep asking me "wow how old is your camera? It doesn't even have video?!?!" lol.

I have a 40D. I guess its "old."

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 28, 2011 13:01 as a reply to  @ XxDJCyberLoverxX's post |  #57

Shooting an XTi, just bought an L lens for it a couple months ago. Looks funny as heck with a big ass lens in front of a tiny little body but the images don't lie.

Photography is the art of exclusion

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 28, 2011 13:26 |  #58

Capeachy wrote in post #13463283 (external link)
Shooting an XTi, just bought an L lens for it a couple months ago. Looks funny as heck with a big ass lens in front of a tiny little body but the images don't lie.

You should see my 70-200 II on my XT :lol:.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,421 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 28, 2011 13:29 |  #59

CameraMan wrote in post #13459028 (external link)

:rolleyes:

Ok, now that you got that rant off your chest, let's get to the OP and the original question....

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13459224 (external link)
i truly don't care about the video capabilities......with that said...it's on there, never gets in the way...so what the heck.

I agree, I never understood the effort to make an issue out of such a non-issue item.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 28, 2011 13:39 |  #60

harcosparky wrote in post #13463431 (external link)
Ok, now that you got that rant off your chest, let's get to the OP and the original question....

Well, seeing as I have already mentioned my old gear...:rolleyes:

CameraMan wrote in post #13458068 (external link)
I'll be handing down my Rebel XT to my daughter this Christmas.

CameraMan wrote in post #13458725 (external link)
My 40D is pretty much my every day camera too. It's an awesome body. I grabbed my 5D MII this morning to get a shot of our winter village we finished last night and wanted it a little tighter but couldn't get in closer because I was already to close. Maybe the 1.6 Crop will do me better tonight. :)

That's pretty much all of my old DSLR's. Should I mention my Pentax K1000 as well? :lol:

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

10,974 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.