Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 27 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POST YOUR BEST B&W SHOTS!

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 07, 2014 08:33 |  #3751

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
InPhoto
Cream of the Crop
15,423 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 07, 2014 11:33 as a reply to  @ Harm's post |  #3752

Great sky Harm!

Some simple photos

David01
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 07, 2014 11:44 |  #3753

Nice shots Jay! How You can do that. taken the picture of airplan from above

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

bugadrienne
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 07, 2014 11:54 |  #3754

ItsJustEd wrote in post #16814265 (external link)
Love this shot!! Was the bee a deliberate part of the target or accident? The B/W suits it nicely,great choice.

Yes, I was shooting the bee. Thank you. It took a lot of shots. :/

I want to do many arthropoda in B+W. I think it will be a little challenge, but I see so many color arthropoda photos and it is time for something different. ;-)a

Matt ­ M.
573 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 07, 2014 13:19 |  #3755

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16813432 (external link)
Sorry Matt but I'm not crazy about the dead center comp. I know, on POTN dead center is usually king (LoL). Also a lot of the shadows are completely blocked and some torso's and heads are blocked into the shadows. I think this image is much stronger without about 30% of the top and if those blacks are opened up some. ;)

I also think the landscape at the top needs some detail in the blocked lower zones....

Honestly, you named some of the things I like most about the shot. It isn't a technically perfect photo, but it is a quintessential San Francisco street scene.
To me, the bits that are underexposed give it a pleasant ambiguity (I'm seeing a picture of the city, rather than of specific people). I could see opening up the blacks in the inanimate objects in the shot, but not at the expense of that impersonal view of humanity.
The extended gray above the fog line is almost as telling about the location as the cable car is, and gives some breathing room for the crowded buildings.

Matt
6d, T3i, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L[COLOR="Black"], 28-80mm, f/2.8-4L, 24-105mm f/4L , 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 II, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, 600EX-RT, etc.

ItsJustEd
433 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 07, 2014 15:59 |  #3756

bugadrienne wrote in post #16816107 (external link)
Yes, I was shooting the bee. Thank you. It took a lot of shots. :/

I want to do many arthropoda in B+W. I think it will be a little challenge, but I see so many color arthropoda photos and it is time for something different. ;-)a

You have the patience of a saint,lol! I have tryed doing that,attempting to catch "that moment" - many shots later didnt have anything worthy of keeping (in my opinion). Now I just wait for the critter to sit still for a moment and try to capture the moment.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I used to think I was indecisive,but now I'm not too sure.
5DMkI 60D Canon 24-105 Canon 17-55mm Tamron 70-300
More of me http://www.flickr.com/​photos/77024467@N03/ (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,321 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 07, 2014 16:07 |  #3757

Matt M. wrote in post #16816290 (external link)
Honestly, you named some of the things I like most about the shot. It isn't a technically perfect photo, but it is a quintessential San Francisco street scene.
To me, the bits that are underexposed give it a pleasant ambiguity (I'm seeing a picture of the city, rather than of specific people). I could see opening up the blacks in the inanimate objects in the shot, but not at the expense of that impersonal view of humanity.
The extended gray above the fog line is almost as telling about the location as the cable car is, and gives some breathing room for the crowded buildings.

To me whats really interesting is that great line and the perspective on the rails leading to the trolley. You still get the feeling of place if you cropped it just above the power lines and I am really not a fan of floating faces in blocked up shadows even if it is street work.

airfrogusmc
36,321 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 07, 2014 16:09 |  #3758

Love that sky Harm and very nice to see someone seeing whats important to the statement and making a decision.

bugadrienne
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 07, 2014 16:37 |  #3759

ItsJustEd wrote in post #16816685 (external link)
You have the patience of a saint,lol! I have tryed doing that,attempting to catch "that moment" - many shots later didnt have anything worthy of keeping (in my opinion). Now I just wait for the critter to sit still for a moment and try to capture the moment.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you so much!

It was handheld in the breeze and the exif is on flickr. I simply used the sports mode for the first and last time. Grrr. I think I can get a better image with shutter priority or aperture value settings that I usually use when I want to make things over with quicker.
Actually, the stupid sports mode didn't allow me to change the ISO or use my back button focusing, so I got annoyed and stopped shooting that spot. I think it even made it harder as I am no longer used to AF in the shutter button and normally use it for locking exposure instead.

I have some motion frozen shots made with shutter priority mode, AI Servo, and continuous shooting, but the background is crap. lol

I am waiting for the breeze to die down before trying that again. ;-)a

I upload more photos to DA than flickr. Here is a link:http://bugadrienne.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

ItsJustEd
433 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 07, 2014 17:05 |  #3760

bugadrienne wrote in post #16816773 (external link)
Thank you so much!

It was handheld in the breeze and the exif is on flickr. I simply used the sports mode for the first and last time. Grrr. I think I can get a better image with shutter priority or aperture value settings that I usually use when I want to make things over with quicker.
Actually, the stupid sports mode didn't allow me to change the ISO or use my back button focusing, so I got annoyed and stopped shooting that spot. I think it even made it harder as I am no longer used to AF in the shutter button and normally use it for locking exposure instead.

I have some motion frozen shots made with shutter priority mode, AI Servo, and continuous shooting, but the background is crap. lol

I am waiting for the breeze to die down before trying that again. ;-)a

I upload more photos to DA than flickr. Here is a link:http://bugadrienne.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

Its funny you mention "sports" mode. My 60D has it but because I shoot in M I forget the other modes are there. Ive gotten so used to M mode that I dont even think about the others. Ive tryed using P and S but got totally confused,lol! Felt like total newbie again. So,Ive made M my home :)

I did peek at your pics on DA - you have some great stuff there. You have a good eye. All of your B/Ws are great! I may have to sign up - that way I can point out the specific ones that caught my eye.

Im stoked about spring finally springing! Cant wait to get out more. Someday when Im all growed up I will move to Florida :)

I used to think I was indecisive,but now I'm not too sure.
5DMkI 60D Canon 24-105 Canon 17-55mm Tamron 70-300
More of me http://www.flickr.com/​photos/77024467@N03/ (external link)

bugadrienne
290 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 07, 2014 17:46 |  #3761

ItsJustEd wrote in post #16816841 (external link)
Its funny you mention "sports" mode. My 60D has it but because I shoot in M I forget the other modes are there. Ive gotten so used to M mode that I dont even think about the others. Ive tryed using P and S but got totally confused,lol! Felt like total newbie again. So,Ive made M my home :)

I did peek at your pics on DA - you have some great stuff there. You have a good eye. All of your B/Ws are great! I may have to sign up - that way I can point out the specific ones that caught my eye.

Im stoked about spring finally springing! Cant wait to get out more. Someday when Im all growed up I will move to Florida :)

Thank you. I like the way I can organize on DA and the site in general. However there are no email notifications that I can find.

I find the weather here to be hot and boring, but I am a Florida cracker so maybe a bit jaded.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/12663534384_3c0c1597fd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …12742168@N08/12​663534384/  (external link)
Dustpan (external link) by bugadrienne (external link), on Flickr

B.Toews
780 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 07, 2014 18:08 |  #3762

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/13702830313_0f40a59d0b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …75253234@N04/13​702830313/  (external link)
The McArthur Mill (external link) by Brendan | Toews (external link), on Flickr

Leica M3 | Leica M4-P
Fuji X-Pro1 | XF 35/2
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 07, 2014 18:20 |  #3763

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/13703517033_6759221132_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mSW7​c4  (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,321 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2014 18:05 |  #3764

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc017/L1020774_zpsafa84d33.jpg

2cruise
Goldmember
4,439 posts
Gallery: 673 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 09, 2014 14:27 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #3765

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3699/13743926984_d5c96c077e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mWvd​Em  (external link)

5D Mark IV~1D Mark IV~100-400L II IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 25mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Sigma 24-105 Art~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,444,136 views & 22,315 likes for this thread
POST YOUR BEST B&W SHOTS!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.