Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 27 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POST YOUR BEST B&W SHOTS!

Michael ­ Rumsey
Goldmember
1,006 posts
Gallery: 779 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 05, 2021 22:23 |  #11461

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50836548271_98f543af2a_b.jpg

"He's Just This Guy, You Know?"

sponsored links
kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,867 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 2 months ago by kiwichris. (3 edits in all)

Mar 05, 2021 22:33 |  #11462

jcothron wrote in post #19204412 (external link)
Thank you for the comment it is appreciated. I actually did play around with cropping much of the sky out and for certainly it resulted in a more conforming image. For some reason I really like that huge expanse of sky in this one as mentioned in my other reply.

You after all are the artist and what you see and depict is the most important. Rules are meant to be bent if not broken and us 'improvers' often don't. As it is, it is a fine image, I found the stars hard to find, but that maybe just my old eyes. It is a very good picture, and you will always find at least one other who sees what you see, and wants to own a print.

Panasonic Lumix G9 and some lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
4,237 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2021 00:47 |  #11463

kiwichris wrote in post #19204598 (external link)
You after all are the artist and what you see and depict is the most important. Rules are meant to be bent if not broken and us 'improvers' often don't. As it is, it is a fine image, I found the stars hard to find, but that maybe just my old eyes. It is a very good picture, and you will always find at least one other who sees what you see, and wants to own a print.

Thank you, no doubt I'm bending some rules in that image but I like the look. the stars are indeed hard to find, small aperture shot. They're visible at a larger size obviously but yes if I had that shot going again I would either take two shots and composite the result (exposed for stars in one), or do some stacking of multiple exposures.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Puppage
83 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 06, 2021 09:56 |  #11464

Young’s Pond. Branford, CT

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,889 posts
Gallery: 743 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 06, 2021 14:14 |  #11465

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51009259623_626f05792e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2kHv​MKv  (external link) The dune fence (external link) by Mark (external link), on Flickr

marcial4
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2021 14:45 as a reply to  @ 2slo's post |  #11466

very nice!

Marcial "Marshall" Quintero
EOS R | RF50 1.8 | EF16-35/4L | EF100L Macro | EF70-300L

A Venezuelan living in Santiago de Chile

Instagram (external link) flickr (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
4,237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2021 15:40 |  #11467

Very nice work, like the processing you chose.

John

ndcisiv
512 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2020

Mar 06, 2021 16:00 as a reply to  @ 2slo's post |  #11468

I like this composition as well as the last version. Nice to see two extreme variations of the same spot. Well done.

flickr (external link)
Nikon D7100 | 28mm 2.8 | 35mm 1.8 | 90mm 2.8 | 70-300mm VR
:love: NICE IMAGE fotoi! :love:

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,889 posts
Gallery: 743 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 06, 2021 17:00 |  #11469

marcial4 wrote in post #19204949 (external link)
very nice!

jcothron wrote in post #19204977 (external link)
Very nice work, like the processing you chose.

ndcisiv wrote in post #19204989 (external link)
I like this composition as well as the last version. Nice to see two extreme variations of the same spot. Well done.

Thanks fellas, they're all old stock from a couple of years ago. I'm virtually out of spare raws now, really looking forward to the end of lockdown in the UK so I can get out and take new pics.

Intheswamp
Endeavor to Persevere
1,839 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 07, 2021 07:08 |  #11470

jcothron wrote in post #19203700 (external link)
War Hill Park on Lake Lanier early one morning while the stars were still visible. I've played with this image for a long time not sure where I wanted to go with it (if anywhere). I think b&w works best due to all the contrasts. Interested to hear what you think.

QUOTED IMAGE

Ok, everybody's got an opinion. ;-)a

I like the shot "as is".

I like the expanse of the sky above as it gives the feeling of the open expanse above the water. From the cloud structure I get an unsettled feeling...is there some type of weather system coming in? The lit skyline/sunset shows that the day is over (or beginning?), but by the stillness of the water I would think that the day is ending.

With the darkness of the sky above the dimness of the L and R sides and of the foreground shore my eyes are directed to the distant shoreline and its lights. What is there? How would I get there? By land? By boat? What makes me interested in it? Or, am I to meet someone on the dock and I'm just gazing out enjoying the view?

Moving on.... The buoys are logical to me and "in place"...well lit in the darkness with the highlights on them contrasting nicely with the dark reflection of the tree-covered shore at the far end of them...the buoys are a familiar object in these settings and gives a clue that "something" to stay away from is over there...obstacles, swimmers, etc.,. That area helps shift the the far shoreline off-center which appeals to me more than a centered vanishing point.

The focal point or point of interest, to me, is the far shoreline and its lights and lit sky...and the reflection of all of that...a small rectangle of interest within this large scene. It seems everything is directing you to this....the pier, the left and right shorelines, and all their reflections along with the string of buoys point you toward the far shoreline. Even the dark sky above tends to quickly push my eyes quickly down to the far shoreline area. Maybe a touch of the upper portion of the sky could be cropped out, but it just as well could be left "as is".

It works for me. It tells a story. A story with depth (no pun intended<g>;).
I'm no expert but I like it as it is.
Ed

The poorest of the poor. A country of children taking care of children: https://handsofloveusa​.org/ (external link)
My little weather page: www.beeweather.com (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
4,237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 07, 2021 16:46 |  #11471

Intheswamp wrote in post #19205261 (external link)
Ok, everybody's got an opinion. ;-)a

I like the shot "as is".

I like the expanse of the sky above as it gives the feeling of the open expanse above the water. From the cloud structure I get an unsettled feeling...is there some type of weather system coming in? The lit skyline/sunset shows that the day is over (or beginning?), but by the stillness of the water I would think that the day is ending.

With the darkness of the sky above the dimness of the L and R sides and of the foreground shore my eyes are directed to the distant shoreline and its lights. What is there? How would I get there? By land? By boat? What makes me interested in it? Or, am I to meet someone on the dock and I'm just gazing out enjoying the view?

Moving on.... The buoys are logical to me and "in place"...well lit in the darkness with the highlights on them contrasting nicely with the dark reflection of the tree-covered shore at the far end of them...the buoys are a familiar object in these settings and gives a clue that "something" to stay away from is over there...obstacles, swimmers, etc.,. That area helps shift the the far shoreline off-center which appeals to me more than a centered vanishing point.

The focal point or point of interest, to me, is the far shoreline and its lights and lit sky...and the reflection of all of that...a small rectangle of interest within this large scene. It seems everything is directing you to this....the pier, the left and right shorelines, and all their reflections along with the string of buoys point you toward the far shoreline. Even the dark sky above tends to quickly push my eyes quickly down to the far shoreline area. Maybe a touch of the upper portion of the sky could be cropped out, but it just as well could be left "as is".

It works for me. It tells a story. A story with depth (no pun intended<g>;).
I'm no expert but I like it as it is.
Ed

To be short I would say that sums up the feeling I had that morning quite nicely, and thank you. As I recall it was a crisp November morning and I had checked the radar the evening before and saw the possibility of some cloud cover (but not too much) for that morning. I got there well before sunrise (still lots of stars showing) but I could see the clouds coming in as you mentioned. It was dark enough that composition (leveling, etc) was a challenge but once I got set up I stood there watching the stars and started seeing the glow of light on the far horizon. I decided to take several images with the sky as the predominant feature to see what I would come up with. As you suggested, the feeling the sky gave me at the time was particularly expansive (dark, no one around, no boats, etc.) It was just me standing on a somewhat sandy man-made beach alone. Here is one of the images I took later that morning with a little more light and in color.

https://photography-on-the.net …88&mg=171323&i=​i221671379

Again thank you for the comment!

John

Jmac8866
552 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Joined Sep 2019

Mar 07, 2021 21:53 |  #11472

Black and white street

HOSTED PHOTO

Intheswamp
Endeavor to Persevere
1,839 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 07, 2021 22:10 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #11473

That other shot is a killer!!! Love it! Keep'em coming!!! :-)

The poorest of the poor. A country of children taking care of children: https://handsofloveusa​.org/ (external link)
My little weather page: www.beeweather.com (external link)

bones519
423 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 08, 2021 10:38 |  #11474

HOSTED PHOTO

308Shooter
983 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Mar 08, 2021 18:33 |  #11475

jcothron wrote in post #19203700 (external link)
War Hill Park on Lake Lanier early one morning while the stars were still visible. I've played with this image for a long time not sure where I wanted to go with it (if anywhere). I think b&w works best due to all the contrasts. Interested to hear what you think.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think this is an amazing shot. I've seen all the back and forth on the shot, but I think it's perfectly balanced. I love the vastness of the sky and the clouds add to the photo. Great shot!!!

Happy Shooting - Jamey

sponsored links

3,901,480 views & 35,521 likes for this thread
POST YOUR BEST B&W SHOTS!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.