Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 09 Nov 2005 (Wednesday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

show me your best are you looking at me shots

tdierikx
223 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 15, 2016 03:42 |  #7906

Pondrader wrote in post #18128196 (external link)
I don't know how unique these foxes are, I think breaking the ice is the first step. I know of a few guys .. some in the Netherlands that have a similar ability to get great images from foxes.
This one is only I would say 9 months,.. I had to go have a look at some of the stuff I did last jan, feb, march, I really like going back through and processing an image or two.. I know I did a few of these back then, everything I'm posting now I'm processing now.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=181​28196&i=i239294734
forum: Wildlife

Foxes here are persecuted and looked at as vermin or pests. They are demonised as being killers of endangered native species and as raiders of chickens, ducks, and livestock - the bane of the farmers' existence apparently.

Getting to know some foxes myself through helping out at the rescue,and then adopting 2 of my own, has given me some more insight into how amazing they are - and that Australia will never eradicate them - they are here to stay, and that's a fact... *grin*

What people here seem to not understand is that when we encroach upon habitat in order to facilitate our own needs, we alter the ecosystem in many ways. Farmers got shirty about Dingoes, so they hunted them to near extinction... and funnily enough have removed the top order predator from said ecosystem. What they failed to understand is that slot at the top needs to be filled, and the lowly fox has happily taken on the role... but funnily enough, for every fox raiding livestock in an area, you can guarantee a dozen or more are in the same area and NOT raiding the livestock.

They do serve one good purpose though... they primarily hunt and eat the European Rabbit... which is the other major pest species here that drives farmers nuts... lol! And funnily enough, studies have shown that Rabbit is the number one food source, followed by insects and plant material... only a small percentage of fox kills are actually native wildlife... go figure!

Anyways... I've been writing a husbandry manual for the care of the captive fox (as part of my zookeeping course)... and it will be possibly the only published one of it's kind when it's finished... so will I then be looked at as a fox expert? *giggle*

At least I can counter negative comments from my fellow Australians when they go on about killing them... most people are so totally uninformed and just toe the party line with these things, that it's usually easy enough to make them back off...

I'd really love to be able to study and photograph wild foxes here, but the fact is if I found and befriended any, some bastard would take advantage and try to kill them... grrr!

T.

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,029 posts
Gallery: 2021 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 15, 2016 05:36 as a reply to  @ tdierikx's post |  #7907

I think T that your book is very good so far, You've done a great job, it looks every bit like an expert has gathered the information required. Im looking forward to the end result. On the subject of the "Human" this lower functioning creature will always be slightly off balance and fairly disruptive to the environment around him. Its hard to fathom the thinking of Man if you stand back and take a good look. I live in a place where people come to get away from there daily lives... they do it here at break neck speeds. They come with there cameras and phones to snap a pic of the wildlife they crave but what they don't realize is they turned it all into road kill the entire summer and now the subject they crave most has been carried off by the Raven.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

KFrost1
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Sep 15, 2016 07:56 |  #7908

Pondrader wrote in post #18127676 (external link)
Thanks Kim, the season for these critters is upon us. This time of year I find myself wondering who made it through the summer months not becoming road kill or someones meal ticket. Its a real pain knowing individuals, Its much easier to just drive and shoot never seeing that critter again.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=181​27676&i=i68895275

He is gorgeous! So regal.

Pondrader
14,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 15, 2016 08:05 as a reply to  @ KFrost1's post |  #7909

He is Royalty

flickr (external link)

turkeytamer41
248 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 15, 2016 08:55 |  #7910

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i938.photobucke​t.com …A0597_new_zpsju​s06rri.jpg (external link)

hammer418
Goldmember
1,898 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2016 10:08 |  #7911

tdierikx wrote in post #18128625 (external link)
Foxes here are persecuted and looked at as vermin or pests. They are demonised as being killers of endangered native species and as raiders of chickens, ducks, and livestock - the bane of the farmers' existence apparently.

Getting to know some foxes myself through helping out at the rescue,and then adopting 2 of my own, has given me some more insight into how amazing they are - and that Australia will never eradicate them - they are here to stay, and that's a fact... *grin*

What people here seem to not understand is that when we encroach upon habitat in order to facilitate our own needs, we alter the ecosystem in many ways. Farmers got shirty about Dingoes, so they hunted them to near extinction... and funnily enough have removed the top order predator from said ecosystem. What they failed to understand is that slot at the top needs to be filled, and the lowly fox has happily taken on the role... but funnily enough, for every fox raiding livestock in an area, you can guarantee a dozen or more are in the same area and NOT raiding the livestock.

They do serve one good purpose though... they primarily hunt and eat the European Rabbit... which is the other major pest species here that drives farmers nuts... lol! And funnily enough, studies have shown that Rabbit is the number one food source, followed by insects and plant material... only a small percentage of fox kills are actually native wildlife... go figure!

Anyways... I've been writing a husbandry manual for the care of the captive fox (as part of my zookeeping course)... and it will be possibly the only published one of it's kind when it's finished... so will I then be looked at as a fox expert? *giggle*

At least I can counter negative comments from my fellow Australians when they go on about killing them... most people are so totally uninformed and just toe the party line with these things, that it's usually easy enough to make them back off...

I'd really love to be able to study and photograph wild foxes here, but the fact is if I found and befriended any, some bastard would take advantage and try to kill them... grrr!

T.

Bully for you ! <thumbsup>

Pondrader
14,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 16, 2016 16:23 |  #7912

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,342 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 16, 2016 16:46 |  #7913

Very cute, with a hint of claws!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ChrisAttebery
358 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Sep 16, 2016 20:37 |  #7914

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8413/29729019795_0e5c0c0e78_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Mi3Z​QP  (external link) IMG_9239 (external link) by Chris Attebery (external link), on Flickr

Pondrader
14,029 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2016 05:33 |  #7915

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

flickr (external link)

MajesticMomentsPhoto
865 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by MajesticMomentsPhoto.

Sep 17, 2016 11:16 |  #7916

Taken @ Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Thanks for looking

Fern

HOSTED PHOTO

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

PhotosGuy
75,342 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 17, 2016 11:46 |  #7917

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #18130909 (external link)
Taken @ Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

Thanks for looking

Fern
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MajesticMomentsPhoto in
./showthread.php?p=181​30909&i=i267059422

Good shot, but my first thought is that Mamas around somewhere, so get the hell out of there!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,873 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 17, 2016 12:06 |  #7918

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18130935 (external link)
Good shot, but my first thought is that Mamas around somewhere, so get the hell out of there!

LOL, That's what I was thinking too! Cute little cub=ferocious mom nearby.

Mark

MajesticMomentsPhoto
865 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 17, 2016 12:11 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7919

she was less than 5 feet away from him.

HOSTED PHOTO

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

Fishbreath
180 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 17, 2016 19:20 |  #7920

looks like an old one

VBA #299
ice shanty #53
retirement isn't all its cracked-up to be,,,, its better

sponsored links

1,969,247 views & 38,649 likes for this thread
show me your best are you looking at me shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.