Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 07:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

A bit more advice please...

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 28, 2011 07:52 |  #1

I've asked sort of a variation of this question before, but as I'm still unsure, I thought I'd give it another go after thinking on it a little while longer.

So I currently have a 5Dm2, a 50 1.8 and a 24-105L. I'm pretty happy with this setup. I got the 24-105L mainly for the IS (I shoot a bit of hand held video and it comes in handy), but my first love is photography, and I'm getting a steady cam anyway, so I'm not really concerned with losing IS. I shoot a lot of street and portraits. I love still life, scenes, and people in general. I'm split between the setup that I want to go with.

I'm thinking of going with a 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, and the 135 f/2, and maybe a 70-200 f/4 in there too. I'll lose my wide angle (I'd trade or sell the 24-105 for budget reasons), which was kind of nice, but I can always add a 24 or 35 in there somewhere down the line if I miss it I suppose.

I guess I'm just a tiny bit apprehensive to give up my 24-105 for some reason. I was not really a 'zoom' guy at first. I like the idea of using a prime and having to do a little work to get your angle and perspective, but man, it's sort of nice sometimes to just get it with a twist. Then again, the 135L (dreamy f/2) seems sort of magical, and I often find myself zoomed out to 105 to get a little background blur as it is. Being able to get amazing bokeh and awesome background blur with the 135L is really appealing to me.

Bottom line - its nice to just throw the 24-105 on my camera and just shoot. But something in the back of my brain is telling me to go faster and go prime. What do you guys think? Anyone gone that route and totally missed their L zoom?

Portfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Desert ­ Pictures
163 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 28, 2011 11:51 |  #2

I'm in a position that is a flip of the coin from your's. I have a 24/1.4L and a 135/2L. They take great pictures (need to get better to justify their quality) but I'm always seeing a wide shot when the 135 is on the camera or a long shot when it's wearing the 24. My wife, who loves her zoom lenses keeps telling me to get a zoom but I have a loyalty to primes that goes back to the 1970s and Nikor lenses on my old FM.

Still thinking...
Dave

Prime Lens Guy

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 28, 2011 12:52 |  #3

I wouldn't want to be without the convenience of a good walkabout zoom.

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 28, 2011 13:17 |  #4

crn3371 wrote in post #13463236 (external link)
I wouldn't want to be without the convenience of a good walkabout zoom.

I think I know what you mean..

Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 28, 2011 13:19 |  #5

I might have to rent a 70-200 to see if it would make a decent walk around lens..

Flickr (external link)

woehlerking
456 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 28, 2011 13:58 as a reply to  @ Seventeen Nineteen's post |  #6

I find my 70-200 f4 L IS is a great walkaround lens. I used to have the 70-200 f2.8L IS... but felt it was a little cumbersome for walkaround.
I know money is always a factor but if you can swing a few primes as well as a zoom or two. THATS THE TICKET.

gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p=10063848&post​count=2316

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,728 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 28, 2011 14:06 |  #7

I could never give up the 24-105L because of the need for a walkaround lens. I can throw the camera and that lens in a reasonably small bag and comfortably walk around all afternoon. If I got rid of it I would need a wide lens, and a short tele to cover the range I want to have. I find myself using primes more for planned photos, but next week I have to cover a christmas parade and the zoom will be perfect.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 28, 2011 16:17 |  #8

Seventeen Nineteen wrote in post #13463379 (external link)
I might have to rent a 70-200 to see if it would make a decent walk around lens..

I would think that a 70-200 would be too long as a walkabout.

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 28, 2011 17:50 |  #9

I would consider an older Nikkor 105 2.5 AI or AIS lens (in addition to some of your other options). This is between the 85 and 135 and Nikkor 105 has excellent sharpness and bokeh. They also run about $100. I suggest this after reviewing your Flickr photos. I see a lot of slow moving subjects - people, landscapes, architecture and you also mention video (the older MF lenses work well for dslr video).

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 28, 2011 19:00 |  #10

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm looking it up. Thanks for taking the time to look at my photos in order to give some pertinent advice.

Mike

stover98074 wrote in post #13464829 (external link)
I would consider an older Nikkor 105 2.5 AI or AIS lens (in addition to some of your other options). This is between the 85 and 135 and Nikkor 105 has excellent sharpness and bokeh. They also run about $100. I suggest this after reviewing your Flickr photos. I see a lot of slow moving subjects - people, landscapes, architecture and you also mention video (the older MF lenses work well for dslr video).

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,608 views & 0 likes for this thread, 6 members have posted to it.
A bit more advice please...
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.