Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old-ish manual focus lenses for a full frame body

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 28, 2011 22:45 |  #1

More specifically, the 5D.

Now, I'm wondering if there are any interesting old large aperture manual focus primes out there that'd work decently on a 5D (read: ones that only require mount adapters with no glass in the adapter itself).
I am already aware of the various Zeiss lenses out there, I'm asking about lenses for other makers, preferrably things that are quite cheap but really damn good(yes, I'm aware of the fact that the meanings of both of those words are relative, and also quite vague, but at the moment that's what I'm going for - the prices vary enough that I'm not going to put on a definitive pricetag just yet).

I own an M42 mount Helios 44-2 58mm F2 and an M39 mount Mir-1 37mm F2.8(both old russian lenses, the first one is basically a Zeiss Biotar but with a "made in the USSR" badge slapped on it, and with slightly inferior build/optics due to more lax factory tolerances which inevitably accompany anything and everything made in the USSR, and at the moment I can't really remember what the second one is based on), but as far as I know they both have the problem of being too close to the sensor, that the mirror would go against 'em and break, so I haven't really used 'em on my 5D, nor have I bought adapters for 'em. If anyone could please enlighten me on these two lenses as well, I'd be thoroughly grateful.

Edit: Yep, did a bit of research and discovered that both the mirror would hit both the Helios 44-2 and the Mir-1. Too bad...

But the main focus is on old MF lenses I haven't heard of, but would be pretty awesome on this particular camera body. Particularly interested in lenses that are between 28mm and 40mm, and also interested in short telephoto primes with relatively large apertures, but please, don't limit the recommendations to just those focal lengths.
Softness really isn't that big of an issue - the 5Dc's sensor isn't that demanding, and I'm really not a pixel peeper... besides most primes are more than sharp enough anyway, esp. when stopped down.

Particularly interested in lenses with somewhat unusual optical characteristics, i.e unusual bokeh, et cetera. Or really anything somewhat unusual and interesting about the lens, optically speaking.
The short telephoto lens would mainly get use as a sort of a portrait lens, while the shorter one that falls between 28mm and 40mm would be more for street shots and the likes, and also upclose portraits with slightly unusual...er perspectives. Though really I'm not basing actual demands on the lenses just yet, more of an experimental thing, provided I do find something interesting enough to spend money on.

Thank you.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 28, 2011 23:11 |  #2

What do you consider cheap, and what kind of focal lengths are you looking for?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 28, 2011 23:13 |  #3
bannedBack in 4 months

Take a look at the Zuiko line of lenses...especially the 28mm 3.5, 24mm 2.8 and the 21mm 3.5. All are extemely compact, nicely made lenses that produce spectacular results. They can be purchased very cheaply by today's standards.

The ­ Devil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 28, 2011 23:16 |  #4

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13466432 (external link)
What do you consider cheap, and what kind of focal lengths are you looking for?

And here I thought I wrote a somewhat comprehensive first post answering those questions as best I could... though I did so through several edits, so you might've just missed 'em.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 29, 2011 00:04 |  #5

The Devil wrote in post #13466457 (external link)
And here I thought I wrote a somewhat comprehensive first post answering those questions as best I could... though I did so through several edits, so you might've just missed 'em.

I asked because you didn't provide an actual range, and because you said you were open to other suggestions. I currently have an old Fd 600mm that has a glassless adapter on it. It was cheap, relatively. I also just picked up an old fd 300 2.8 pretty cheap (again relatively) and the guy that makes the adapters has a video showing how to adjust the lens to achieve infinity focus with his adapter on eos cameras. That's why I was trying to find out, in case that would be something of interest to you.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2011 02:22 |  #6

Hogloff wrote in post #13466438 (external link)
Take a look at the Zuiko line of lenses...especially the 28mm 3.5, 24mm 2.8 and the 21mm 3.5. All are extemely compact, nicely made lenses that produce spectacular results. They can be purchased very cheaply by today's standards.

+1 but some OM Zuiko lenses prices have increased

I would suggest too the 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 and 135 f/2.8. But my favorite Zuiko on 5D is the 24 f/2.8...

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

imperian
196 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 29, 2011 02:36 |  #7

titi_67207 wrote in post #13466969 (external link)
+1 but some OM Zuiko lenses prices have increased

I would suggest too the 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 and 135 f/2.8. But my favorite Zuiko on 5D is the 24 f/2.8...

Titi

Agreed. I was looking over for a 21/3.5 but it rises more than USD 300 and the 24/2.8 is a real beauty.....!

I just catch in Zeiss Contax 85f1.4 and really enjoy the oldness glass on 5Dc. There are couples of these lenses are even better than the L glass...... C/Y 1.4/85 is even selling half of a Sigma 85/1.4 but much better IQ....

5D Classic | 17-40L | 50L | Nikkor 28/2 Ai
flickr (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)
Review: Auto Chinon 55mm f1.7 - The Oil-painting BOKEH lens (external link)

The ­ Devil
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 29, 2011 09:31 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13466605 (external link)
I asked because you didn't provide an actual range, and because you said you were open to other suggestions. I currently have an old Fd 600mm that has a glassless adapter on it. It was cheap, relatively. I also just picked up an old fd 300 2.8 pretty cheap (again relatively) and the guy that makes the adapters has a video showing how to adjust the lens to achieve infinity focus with his adapter on eos cameras. That's why I was trying to find out, in case that would be something of interest to you.

Hmm, fair enough... let's say roughly 300-400 euros max for now and anything that falls under that then. And really, the longest I'd go is around 100mm or so, as I said, mainly portraiture for the short tele, not really looking for an actual bona fide telescope at the moment. :P
Will check out the C/Y Zeiss 85mm F1.4, as well as the aformentioned Zuikos.

Some fairly interesting recommendations already...

Edit: The Helios 40-2 85mm F1.5 looks interesting... though not critically sharp, I can live with that, especially for portraits, and especially since I shoot in RAW, and do a whole lot of PP either way. The bokeh is weirdly interesting and that's something I am after.
Has anyone here used one?

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2011 10:51 |  #9

I like older Nikkors and I also use a Helios 44 (which as you have stated has unique bokeh).

I am not sure if Nikkors have the mirror issue as M42 lenses have on a full frame camera. This link may help with 5D and Mirror issues - http://www.panoramapla​net.de/comp/ (external link)

In the 60's and 70's Nikkors were professional lenses - they are very well built and have good optics.

I like a 24 2.8 for wide and a 105 2.5 for portrates and outstanding bokeh.

I like this review for the Nikkors

http://www.naturfotogr​af.com/lens_surv.html (external link)

I like Nikkors and only use MF lenses - I have plowed through C/Y Zeiss, Russian, M42 Takumar and keep coming back to the Nikkors.

It can be hard to get bokeh from a short lens - below 50mm.

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old-ish manual focus lenses for a full frame body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.