Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone using Crashplan+ unlimited for offsite backup

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 29, 2011 13:24 |  #1

I'm thinking of getting Crashplan+ unlimited.

My question is: Is it really unlimited storage? I have TBs of data

Thanks

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 02, 2011 10:14 |  #2

Yes, it's unlimited, though it's going to take you a long time to upload. For every user with 5TB of data there's 50 more that are backing up nothing but their Word documents.

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblings (external link)
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 02, 2011 14:24 |  #3

Check to see if they have the option of sending you an external drive to load up with your initial backup. Some services do, not sure if Crashplan does. The thought of trying to upload TB's of data sounds painful.

JPRinMH
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2011 13:25 |  #4

I've been using Crashplan for about 3 days now. Backup speed is averaging 2 MB per second. So for my 500 GB's on my iMac it will take about 24 days. Yes I said days. But I can backup two computers plus a backup drive where another terabyte of data awaits me. One suggestion: clean up your files before hand. If you've got deleted files you might want to empty the trash as Crashplan will dutifully copy them potentially adding days to the backup. Another think I like about Crashplan is I can access the files via my ipad. Not sure how often I'll do that but nice to have just in case.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 03, 2011 17:39 |  #5

Backing up TBs of data on any online backup service is a bit impractical, given current internet speeds. Get an external disk or two, and keep them offsite.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2011 11:45 |  #6

tim wrote in post #13490300 (external link)
Backing up TBs of data on any online backup service is a bit impractical, given current internet speeds. Get an external disk or two, and keep them offsite.

Only the original backup (any any full recovery) are time consuming. If you need to pull a single file or folder you accidentally deleted or are looking to roll back to a previous version then online backup services are a lot faster than driving to wherever you keep your external disk (and that's assuming your disk even has the file you want in the version you need).

EDIT: I've been an on-and-off CrashPlan user and my speeds have always been in the ~4.5MB/s area, sticking me at about 2.5 days per TB. I suspect that if my internet connection was faster I'd see faster backup speeds...

EDIT 2: ... and yes, CrashPlan allows for seeded backup and recovery, at an additional cost, so you don't need to upload everything to start if you're working with a relatively slow connection.

7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 05, 2011 14:01 |  #7

In New Zealand, and soon in the US and Canada, internet data will be charged for over a certain limit. I suspect in the US it'll be 500GB or so, in New Zealand we pay per GB - about $1/GB over my 60GB allowance. 1TB in a month would cost me $900+. Over time the limits will go up, and get cheaper, but that's what they are for us. All the big US ISPs are considering bringing in data caps, because of the few who use massive amounts of data.

The other downside to many backup services is you have to keep all your data on internal drives. I have archive drives for old data, one at home, one offsite.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jasonlitka
900 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 07, 2011 15:02 |  #8

tim wrote in post #13498846 (external link)
IAll the big US ISPs are considering bringing in data caps, because of the few who use massive amounts of data.

Verizon isn't.

EDIT: Also, regarding CrashPlan speeds, the experiences I mentioned above were for CrashPlan+. Yesterday I decided to try out CrashPlanPRO and was not pleased. The transfer rates were sub-1MB/s and they do not permit service by mail.

sponsored links

910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone using Crashplan+ unlimited for offsite backup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.