Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another website question.Prophoto4, zenfolio, smumug or ...?Which shall I choose?

tommmy.star
294 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 14:37 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I am here in the UK and I really want a website. I like the idea of prohoto4 and their templates. You can customize it quite a lot and very often they come as layered psd files so there is a lot of room to play. For prophoto I would need a domain+hosting=goDaddy​.
Do I need my own domain and hosting with zenfolio or smumug?
Why would you choose zenfolio/smugmug over prophoto4?
And last but not least how long did it take you to set up your own website?

Thanks for replies

Canon 5DIII |Canon 30mm f2 | Canon 85mm f1.2L |Canon 100mm f2.4L| Canon 70-200mm f2.8II L
London Wedding Photographer (external link)
My 500px.com (external link)

sponsored links
on2rails
69 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 15:24 |  #2

I don't have any knowledge of prohoto4 but going by what you mentioned:

I have had both Sumgmug and Zenfolio -
I use Zenfolio currently, but only for the gallery portion and I do use the partnership they have with Mpix for prints for my customers. My main page is something I created and host on a separate domain, but one would never know the difference, as I made the gallery pages in Zenfilio to match my theme on my separate main page.

No, you do not have to have a separate domain for either Sumgmug or Zenfolio and they too have templates that you can use to create a main page as well as make matching galleries. You can have a separate domain name and point that to your Zenfolio (again no one would know the difference) or as I have, point your gallery links from your main page to the Zen galleries themselves.

If you were to just use the Zenfolio templates and not have a separate main page and domain, depending on how picky you are with your own work, have it done in a matter of minutes. When I first did the trial, I had it set up in just a few minutes. This of course, not including the photo upload times.

See Joey Ricard Photography (external link)

Joey Ricard Photography (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 29, 2011 15:31 |  #3

I like Smugmug myself, but I have never used the other sites you mentioned. I matched a Wordpress install with my Smugmug account.

My Site (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 23:45 |  #4

ProPhoto is basically a wordpress template+plugin that allows you to customize your site as little or as much as you want. If you want the 100% flexibility, then this is the way to go.

I've personally not used either SmugMug or Zenfolio but looking at their features, it does look like both services allow you to customize your site (depending on the service package) but not allow you to bring your own design. Although, it looks like SmugMug allows you to hire one of their approved designers if you want to have a completely unique look.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2011 07:42 |  #5

I tried both Zenfolio and Smugmug (they both offer free trial periods), and chose to stay with Zenfolio. I have no programming capabilities, and it was a lot easier for me to get a site I liked with Zenfolio than with Smugmug. Basic customization is very easy. It took me no more than an hour to set up a satisfactory structure, using one of the Zenfolio templates but putting in my own custom headings and pages. It's a very intuitive process, even for computer illiterates like me. I've also been pleased with their customer service - very quick and thorough.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 30, 2011 15:37 |  #6

aIpha wrote in post #13472293 (external link)
I've personally not used either SmugMug or Zenfolio but looking at their features, it does look like both services allow you to customize your site (depending on the service package) but not allow you to bring your own design. Although, it looks like SmugMug allows you to hire one of their approved designers if you want to have a completely unique look.

Smugmug lets you customize the site all you want and if you have the knowledge there is no need to hire anyone. I customized almost everything on mattmcguire.com (external link) myself.

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 30, 2011 23:51 |  #7

mmcguire wrote in post #13475459 (external link)
Smugmug lets you customize the site all you want and if you have the knowledge there is no need to hire anyone. I customized almost everything on mattmcguire.com (external link) myself.

Your site is setup a little different. You have your TLD hosted at WiredTree running wordpress then you have a subdomain pointed to SmugMug to take advantage of their photo gallery. Or at least that is what it looks like.

SmugMug's site does say this:

Choose a SmugMug-approved design firm for a truly stunning site

I just wasn't sure why designs needed to be "approved" by SmugMug to be used with their service.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,354 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 01, 2011 00:21 |  #8

aIpha wrote in post #13477864 (external link)
Your site is setup a little different. You have your TLD hosted at WiredTree running wordpress then you have a subdomain pointed to SmugMug to take advantage of their photo gallery. Or at least that is what it looks like.

SmugMug's site does say this:

I just wasn't sure why designs needed to be "approved" by SmugMug to be used with their service.

You don't have to. A 'Smugmug-Approved Designer' knows how to customize a Smugmug site, for a price. Your basically hiring a web designer that specializes on Smugmug sites. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 01, 2011 00:32 |  #9

Hikin Mike wrote in post #13477957 (external link)
You don't have to. A 'Smugmug-Approved Designer' knows how to customize a Smugmug site, for a price. Your basically hiring a web designer that specializes on Smugmug sites. ;)

Ah I gotcha. So the designer must understand SmugMug's framework. Sort of like designers that specialize in designing sites for wordpress. Makes sense.

Hikin ­ Mike
6,354 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 01, 2011 00:43 |  #10

aIpha wrote in post #13477986 (external link)
Ah I gotcha. So the designer must understand SmugMug's framework. Sort of like designers that specialize in designing sites for wordpress. Makes sense.

Yep. I believe an approved designer can modify a few things (like removing the stock footer) that a regular user can't.

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 01, 2011 00:55 |  #11

Hikin Mike wrote in post #13478006 (external link)
Yep. I believe an approved designer can modify a few things (like removing the stock footer) that a regular user can't.

Any regular user can do anything a smugmug approved designer can. I removed the stock footer on mine.

All you need is a knowledge of CSS+ and you can do pretty much anything you want to. The approved designers are just a list of people smugmug trust, who cahrge you a premium to do it (think they were charging $400-500 for a custom site last time I looked). It's easy to go that route, tell them what you want and wait a week with no work, but nothing you can't figure out yourself.

I got my site about 90% of the way done just following simple tutorials on dgrinn.com, then the rest was a feq ebooks and google searches.

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

Hikin ­ Mike
6,354 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 01, 2011 01:08 |  #12

Marlfox wrote in post #13478029 (external link)
Any regular user can do anything a smugmug approved designer can. I removed the stock footer on mine.

All you need is a knowledge of CSS+ and you can do pretty much anything you want to. The approved designers are just a list of people smugmug trust, who cahrge you a premium to do it (think they were charging $400-500 for a custom site last time I looked). It's easy to go that route, tell them what you want and wait a week with no work, but nothing you can't figure out yourself.

I got my site about 90% of the way done just following simple tutorials on dgrinn.com, then the rest was a feq ebooks and google searches.

I thought that was against the "rules". I don't have it on my SM site because it was grandfathered in.

EDIT: Read this: http://www.dgrin.com/s​howthread.php?t=58528 (external link)

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 01, 2011 01:29 |  #13

Hikin Mike wrote in post #13478060 (external link)
I thought that was against the "rules". I don't have it on my SM site because it was grandfathered in.

EDIT: Read this: http://www.dgrin.com/s​howthread.php?t=58528 (external link)

I stand corrected....never read that before.

*runs off to delete some code*

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

cameronrad
486 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 01, 2011 07:52 |  #14

Check out 22slides. I made my site with it.
www.22slides.com (external link)

blog (external link) | website (external link) | facebook (external link)

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 02, 2011 02:49 |  #15

I was going to recommend 22slides.com as well. I recently set up a Zenfolio account, a week ago but must say I am not impressed. I went with the premium and to be honest its just not for me. I have designed my own site before / not foto related. I find Zenfolio a little primitive in terms ofhow the feature set works. I will ask for a refund and go with 22slides.com. It just has a very simple and minimalistic apoproach but comes off more refined for some reason. Its probably just me tho. Also 22 slides cost a wee bit more.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links

9,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another website question.Prophoto4, zenfolio, smumug or ...?Which shall I choose?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.