Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 20:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Basketball action

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 20:55 |  #1

Hello to all,
Took my canon 135 f2, Canon 85 1.8 & Sigma 30 1.4 out to game last night. here are some of the results.. trying different areas of the gym.
iso-5000,f2, ss-1260. gym lighting not bad.. but maybe need to work on WB.
Thanks for any C&C on these.. enjoy!
Joe

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 20:56 |  #2

two more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

WL x1600 etc.

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 20:58 |  #3

ok last two..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

WL x1600 etc.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2011 21:03 |  #4

First one of the last set is the best IMO but it's not in focus. I like the second one in the second set too but I wish the angle was different. It looks like you were standing up and maybe it would be better if you had been sitting?

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 21:25 |  #5

elrely2375,
Thanks, yeah that one shot I had just happen to stand up to give my knee's a break and the action didnt stop for an old man like me...lol.
on the one focus point I was reading somewhere that a photog was setting his points down a click from center focus so I am trying different things out.. he said it will allow me to get more of the feet and whole body in the shot, but I am still missing and shooting through the players legs.. not to many keepers when that happens...
back to the game next week..
Joe.

WL x1600 etc.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2011 21:46 |  #6

getting the feet and whatnot is fine but this ain't portraiture LOL. Getting the face and the ball is most important IMO, otherwise you don't have much. Nice start though.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2011 21:47 |  #7

I would try to stay around 1/800 instead of 1/1250 to keep the iso down. I try everything I can to keep the iso at 2000 or below on the 7D. Above that the image starts to lose depth and detail.

Cropping on some could be changed. I'm not a fan of cutting off a hand or foot. Crop TIGHT or give them a little space.

Using another site to host the files like flickr will allow you to post higher quality photos compared to here. I'm not sure if the compression has changed the photos much.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 22:04 |  #8

Cozmocha wrote in post #13477409 (external link)
I would try to stay around 1/800 instead of 1/1250 to keep the iso down. I try everything I can to keep the iso at 2000 or below on the 7D. Above that the image starts to lose depth and detail.

Cropping on some could be changed. I'm not a fan of cutting off a hand or foot. Crop TIGHT or give them a little space.

Using another site to host the files like flickr will allow you to post higher quality photos compared to here. I'm not sure if the compression has changed the photos much.

I will try a lower SS and iso, but aren't you sometime maxed out with highest iso and wide open lens to get any good images..stop the action kind of thing..??? of course I am not using flash.
For these pix they were resized with a windows xp resize tool from like 8mb to 70kb..
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,482 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 30, 2011 22:31 |  #9

I like everything but the last shot. This seems to be working for you (ISO, SS, etc... ), stay with what works in this venue.

But yes, 1/800 will work with just some finger flair. Sometimes a trade off. But honestly since most if the action is coming toward you, you can get away with some slower shutter speeds.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 30, 2011 22:36 |  #10

Joe300 wrote in post #13477499 (external link)
I will try a lower SS and iso, but aren't you sometime maxed out with highest iso and wide open lens to get any good images..stop the action kind of thing..??? of course I am not using flash.
For these pix they were resized with a windows xp resize tool from like 8mb to 70kb..
Joe

I have been at crime scenes and I had to shoot at iso 12,800 to get what I needed. If I have to get the shot in awful lightning I will max everything out but shooting at iso 5000 with a 7D will never produce crisp images unless a ton of post processing is done. I bet the xp resize tool has made the photos look a lot worse on here then what they really are.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 22:42 |  #11

Ok, thanks for the help, I think I might go out tomorrow and shoot a high school game just to test it out.. going to run,turn off this pc and dream about shooting for the NBA...lol
"I had some good dreams, they didnt all come true, but I'm glad I had them"
Good Night photogs,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 02, 2011 06:30 as a reply to  @ Joe300's post |  #12

For a 7d you should have cleaner photos. They all seem soft, and some out of focus. Do you have a filter on your lens? If so, take it off. As others have stated, your shutter speed should be around 1/640, which should bring your iSo down to around 2000-2500. Also make sure you are ai servo, single point focus. Maybe it is the high iso you used, something looks off.
Not shooting you down, just trying to help. Nice captures though.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2011 10:33 |  #13

Joe,

mark2009 provided some good tips as well as an astute observation: You're 7D is capable of much clearer, better focused shots than you're seeing right now. Tips and practice is definitely required. It also looks to me that you're adding a ton of contrast in post. If so, might consider backing that off a tad!

Onto some helpful tips:

f/2 on the lens, 1/640 on the shutter, raise ISO until you have good exposure. No need to shoot at 1/1250. Even the small college kids don't move THAT fast!

Panning technique: a method I kind of fell into when panning a guard with the ball is this. right leg/thigh flat on floor, left knee up so half your lower body (left side) is in a squatting position and right side (leg) is on the ground. Place your left elbow inside your left knee like you're bolting your elbow through your knee. This provides a stabilized 'lever' (if you will) from elbow to knee through to your left foot. The left foot provides a stable pivot point for smooth panning. This should help with sharpness. I suspect you're getting motion blur on some shots because your panning skills need work.

To make the above panning work, you have to have the focus assigned to the * button at rear of your 7D. Half depress shutter while panning. When the action you want presents itself, squeeze the shutter the rest of the way down. This eliminates yanking the camera down and to the right when the actual shot is taken.

Smooth and easy. Bull in china shop handling doesn't get it. Here's an example of back button focus, panning the action with half depressed shutter and wait for the exact moment to take the pic:

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4065/4607018410_80fbdef5d0_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erphotography/4​607018410/  (external link)
DPP_2045525 (external link) by snyderman3 (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 02, 2011 12:51 |  #14

Joe300 wrote in post #13477499 (external link)
Joe

As noted in another post, you should be able to get away with a shutter of 1/500...use an fstop of f2.8 or 3.5 (if you want a bit more DOF) then set your ISO accordingly. I will also usually shoot at + 1/3 to 1 EV as well (ie overexpose a bit) to lighten faces and shadows.

You may find that in your gym, those settings leave you no choice but to use high ISO. If that is the case, shoot RAW and then use noise reduction when processing.

Oh and center point focus is only what I use...plus I have auto focus activated by * button on back which, while tricky to learn, is much better for sports shooting.

I will assume you are also using the AI Servo mode as well when shooting.

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

Joe300
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 02, 2011 13:55 |  #15

Thanks to all, I will post some more photos tonight... this images are coming from a canon 7D and the 5 day old new from B&H photo the Canon 135 f2...
I hope it is just user error....me.. and not the lens / body.
I did try some shots last night at one bball game and they look better from the tips I got about from you all..

I will post tonight. Thanks,
Joe

WL x1600 etc.

sponsored links

2,072 views & 0 likes for this thread
Basketball action
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.