Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Dec 2011 (Friday) 14:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of offering free photoshoots to military families...

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,431 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 04, 2011 10:56 |  #16

mannetti21 wrote in post #13485756 (external link)
Does anyone foresee any issues arising by advertising or performing this service? I figured I wouldn't have to stress too much about results as it would be done at no cost. Thoughts, suggestions?

Supporting the military is a great idea - but giving everyone who ships out a free shot has the potential to kill your business unless you are really careful.

The army is basically UPS for people - they never stop shipping them out. Before you make the offer you need to know how many people ship out per month, then work out how much time shooting these people will take. More importantly you need to understand the flow pattern. I assume that they ship out in large groups, which, means a potential flood of people all at the same time.

Putting a quota limit or asking people to justify why they should get a free shoot is a PR nightmare. People are going to get turned down and regardless of the way the decision is made they won't be happy.

I would suggest that instead of unlimited free, you offer a discount to military, which enables you support them while at least covering costs. Then, offer unofficial free shoots to needy people like the case in the OP. This gives help where it is needed without creating a feeling on entitlement in others. Then, if you want, volunteer as mentioned in the posts above, where you are one of several volunteers and the load is shared.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 04, 2011 12:25 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #17

The army is basically UPS for people - they never stop shipping them out. Before you make the offer you need to know how many people ship out per month, then work out how much time shooting these people will take. More importantly you need to understand the flow pattern. I assume that they ship out in large groups, which, means a potential flood of people all at the same time.

At some point in time, everybody who is worthwhile will ship out.

The ones who manage never to ship out...hmm. There are things we say about those people.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 05, 2011 12:01 |  #18

kazleberry wrote in post #13490281 (external link)
But offering free professional photography for them just because? I wouldn't go there.

This, don't degrade your profession or income because you feel the need give extra to a certain group of people. Enlisting is a choice and a difficult career, but there are plenty of other equally challenging and thankless jobs out there, would you offer free services to all of them?

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 05, 2011 12:49 |  #19

Daedalus34r wrote in post #13498238 (external link)
This, don't degrade your profession or income because you feel the need give extra to a certain group of people. Enlisting is a choice and a difficult career, but there are plenty of other equally challenging and thankless jobs out there, would you offer free services to all of them?

Although I don't see this as degrading, you do have a good point. How about the paramedics? Firefighters? Police? .... sanitary engineers (aka garbage collectors?) or welfare/social workers?

Or are you really just trying to get an "In" via a noble cause? Will you drop them after you start getting paying customers?

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 05, 2011 13:52 |  #20

As proposed by the OP about someone who is terminal and the family wanting images, I wholly agree. We paid for portraiture when my father was dying of cancer. Offering sittings to people who could not afford that is something I'm actively considering by volunteering for a hospice organization.

Just for active military because they are shipping out? I can see that both ways.

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 05, 2011 14:08 |  #21

As an ex-Navy man myself, I could have used a professional photographer to spy on my (now ex)wife and document her actions while I was in the Gulf, have you considered expanding the scope of your services? OOOPS - was I thinking out loud just then?

Seriously though, I've been toying with the same idea, albeit at my church, for senior portraits of kids that can't afford them on their own. I'm a little afraid of opening the floodgates. I think you have a great idea here. To address the arguments going back and forth about money, there are definitely military folks that can afford things, and those that can't. Hopefully those that can would step aside for those who can't. You could always go E-5 and below, or something to that effect.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 05, 2011 14:54 |  #22

For army deployments, why not try and work something out so you've got a little setup the day of or the day before people ship out (not too sure of logistics since I've not been involved). By getting the pics in a set spot on a predefined time would narrow down your out of pocket and time expense considerably. Then you can have a little latitude in selecting those special cases

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 05, 2011 14:58 |  #23

mckinleypics wrote in post #13498871 (external link)
Seriously though, I've been toying with the same idea, albeit at my church, for senior portraits of kids that can't afford them on their own. I'm a little afraid of opening the floodgates.

Just plant a seed with the pastor, youth pastor, etc...... and let them decide which cases need to be passed on to you. There's no reason to broadcast it to open those gates, plus the kids might even feel better about it. Shouting they're getting something for free might hurt the pride a little more than an under the table pass.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 05, 2011 15:22 |  #24

highergr0und wrote in post #13499116 (external link)
Just plant a seed with the pastor, youth pastor, etc...... and let them decide which cases need to be passed on to you. There's no reason to broadcast it to open those gates, plus the kids might even feel better about it. Shouting they're getting something for free might hurt the pride a little more than an under the table pass.

I hear you. We have a fairly large church and use The Table Project (sort of a facebook for church) to communicate services like this. I was thinking of just posting my number and letting them contact me privately. But like you said, the gates would be opened. I'm just not sure the pastors would know who would need these services.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2011 22:03 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

RDKirk wrote in post #13487538 (external link)
What you didn't mention, however, is that "total military compensation" nearly doubles that. Take the value of free family healthcare, which is worth hundreds of dollars a month. My kids' birth cost me a total of $35 each out of my pocket.

The goofy thing is that as an E-8 in Hawaii...I actually qualified for welfare because they counted only my "base" pay...but none of the allowances or benefits.

The military keeps its people long on benefits but fairly short on pocket cash. Many don't spend that pocket cash wisely, many others maximize the benefits, minimize debt, and leave the military with nice nest eggs.

There are lots of financial disadvantages to being in the military (for instance, it's incredibly difficult to be a two-income household unless both are in the military), but military people do have money to pay for photography.

There are hardship cases deserving of charity, but that doesn't include everyone in the military. Look for the people who have been socked in the jaw by real misfortune...there are enough of them.

I appreciate that you have an opinion different than mine.

I would do it for anyone wearing a uniform, and I would encourage the OP to do it for anyone wearing a uniform...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

kazleberry
50 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 05, 2011 22:33 |  #26

highergr0und wrote in post #13499089 (external link)
For army deployments, why not try and work something out so you've got a little setup the day of or the day before people ship out (not too sure of logistics since I've not been involved). By getting the pics in a set spot on a predefined time would narrow down your out of pocket and time expense considerably. Then you can have a little latitude in selecting those special cases

The thought is great, but in practise, worst idea ever.
I got some photo's of myself and my partner just before he went away once, and they are the WORST pictures ever. Not only are we both slotchy and watery-eyed from crying, the memory of saying goodbye to him STILL makes me tear up, even years later.

Military families want memories of happy times when they're home, not the heartbreaking goodbyes.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 05, 2011 22:40 |  #27

kazleberry wrote in post #13501505 (external link)
I got some photo's of myself and my partner just before he went away once, and they are the WORST pictures ever. Not only are we both slotchy and watery-eyed from crying, the memory of saying goodbye to him STILL makes me tear up, even years later.

Military families want memories of happy times when they're home, not the heartbreaking goodbyes.

would seem like this is just your opinion based on you own particular sampling

i think it's a nice idea
having served 6 years i know my family would have appreciated it.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 06, 2011 00:10 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

kazleberry wrote in post #13501505 (external link)

Retired military here.

I can say, without hesitation, that I would've liked to have had photos, taken the day I deployed, arrive in the mail while I was overseas...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 06, 2011 00:11 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

Daedalus34r wrote in post #13498238 (external link)
...but there are plenty of other equally challenging and thankless jobs out there...

Which jobs are those?

Gear List

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 06, 2011 02:44 |  #30

I offer military veterans free work. They are the only ones whom I shoot for free. The only exception is weddings and I do those at cost to me, which is pretty minimal. Most of them, especially the older ones, slip me a few extra dollars anyway. They absolutely insist I take it. Lol

God bless our brothers and sisters in the armed forces. My little brother is a Navy Seabee and my father is Army.

NMCB7 SEABEES CAN DO!!!

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

sponsored links

4,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of offering free photoshoots to military families...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.