Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 03 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 14:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Control Ring Use on S95

GTT
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 03, 2011 14:49 |  #1

Very new to this camera and notice you can use the control ring to make settings.

Can someone give me a quick primer on when people use it.

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 03, 2011 23:10 |  #2

GTT wrote in post #13489735 (external link)
Very new to this camera and notice you can use the control ring to make settings.

Can someone give me a quick primer on when people use it.

I use mine for changing the aperture in AV. (aperture priority) I shoot in AV with my DSLR and when I use my S95 it's great to be able to use the front dial to set the aperture.

I also use it frequently to change other settings. WB, aspect ratio, shutter speed in TV mode when action shots are happening.

It's great to have. It can be set for all kinds of other stuff too. Read through that part of the manual and find the setting that you will use most and practice using it. It will help your image quality.

I also have videos on the S95 on YT. I do talk a little about this subject in one video. All the best.

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 04, 2011 03:31 as a reply to  @ nate42nd's post |  #3

Yep,, changing aperture when in manual mode which is just like changing aperture on my old Nikkor lenses. And changing focal length when in video mode.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

GTT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 04, 2011 14:41 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #4

So it looks like people are using this and assigning different functions. It is obviously a useful thing to get to know and use.
I have been reading the manual and am confused by something and hopefully someone can fill me in better than the manual.

When I go to P TV AV M it appears the ring defaults to "Set I-Contrast" and the manual indicates this has 2 components to it Dynamic Range (DR) and Shadow correct and that turning the ring can correct either. I find that the ring only changes DR. How do you get it to change Shadow Correct?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Control Ring Use on S95
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.