Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just photographers?

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 06, 2011 04:21 |  #46

Ricardo222 wrote in post #13501081 (external link)
That's a very fine misery schtick, Mark...do you give lessons?

I could do a youtube lesson, but my black melancholy outfit is in the wash unfortunately...

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

sponsored links
Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2011 05:49 |  #47

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13494780 (external link)
Sales would promise anything, Production (creative) would have to deliver and Technical (engineers) would bear the brunt of the lies told by Sales and the wishful thinking of Production.

Tell me abou it, marketing promises it, traffic books it and engineering get stuck with making it work or not.

I remember once being sent out to “assist” a board op who was having trouble setting up a remote at a new mall in Pembroke Pines, the marketing gal decided the best place to set up was in front of a huge fountain facing the food court.

It was a beautiful location to take pictures of but not to broadcast from.

The location was centered in the mall so the poor BO couldn’t get a decent signal from the Marti back to the studio and marketing never thought to order an ISDN to use a CODEC with so that was not an option, so I ended up using two Marti’s one from the mall to the remote van and another from the van to the studio.

Not that it mattered as the noise from the fountain and that of the hard surfaced food court made it impossible to go live and be heard.

Mall management was upset, the talent was upset and the marketing gal was looking for a scapegoat as the remote had to be rebooked, so I quickly filed a report with my boss shoving the whole enchilada back on marketings plate costing the marketing gal her commission on the booking.

Ah yes another lovely day in the annuals of radio…

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2011 06:02 |  #48

Miki G wrote in post #13493932 (external link)
I've noticed that several people when answering a question on photography related topics, tend to get personal & insult others, just because they disagree with their answers or views. Is this unique to photographers or does it happen in any discussion forum?

A lot of it is alpha maleism.

In the words of Joseph Mind, "meanwhile, Nikon and Canon owners have long been fighting a pointless war of who possesses the best camera. This battle isn't much fought by working pros and artists, but rather by testosterone-driven males who apply a Muscle Car mentality to a simple paint brush and canvas."

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 06, 2011 06:49 |  #49

I used to be on various automotive forums and people there are immature, childish, rude, and full of trolls that would not be tolerated at a place like this. I love this forum, I have to be on my best behavior but everyone else is too which is great. POTN = higher intellect! :)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 06, 2011 09:43 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #50

A camping/RV forum of which I am a member had a rough time of it in 2004 right around the elections. Emotions ran so high and people got so 'excited' that it was a veritable minefield. There were conversations that had they been held around a real campfire would have resulted in bloodshed. This brought up the 3G rule - no discussion of God, Guns, or Government have been allowed since. The forum is very well moderated now and quite enjoyable, but I think a lot of people were banned or quit in those early days.

There seem to me to be a relatively small number of objectionable posts on this forum. I think the moderators do a wonderful job of keeping things civil.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2011 13:51 |  #51

So Typical Wayne...

Just sooooooo typical. :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2011 14:30 |  #52

This place is like masterpiece theater compared to some of the forums I visit, car forums mostly....

I don't call names or that sort of thing but I do love to be sarcastic/joking/witty and sometimes people don't get it. I have a very dry sense of humor. People don't even get it in real life until a few minutes later.....Maybe I'm just not funny?

Anyways, if you look at everything with a pessimistic perspective, you will see responses online that way. I look at everything as one big joke and I end up laughing a LOT.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

on2rails
69 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 06, 2011 14:43 |  #53

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13493948 (external link)
Welcome to the Internet! ;-)a

Seriously, the behavior is prevalent in most photo forums, not just this one. Believe it or not, this place is very tame compared to some other popular forums.

True, True......

Joey Ricard Photography (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)

Huskers69
699 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 06, 2011 17:17 |  #54

Photography forums are tame compared to sports forums. College football, NFL forums get really heated.

flickr  (external link)
Project365 (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2011 17:30 |  #55

Huskers69 wrote in post #13505054 (external link)
Photography forums are tame compared to sports forums. College football, NFL forums get really heated.

Thats is because, in my less than humble opinion, sports overall attracts a lower intellengence crowd than photography...

When you have a group of people who lack the mastery of the language and cannot fully express themselves frustration raises and grenades get tossed…

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,159 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 06, 2011 17:44 |  #56

So then what happened at DPreview? Gets pretty heated over there.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 06, 2011 18:35 |  #57

Channel One wrote in post #13505120 (external link)
Thats is because, in my less than humble opinion, sports overall attracts a lower intellengence crowd than photography...

When you have a group of people who lack the mastery of the language and cannot fully express themselves frustration raises and grenades get tossed…

Wayne

Meh. I have noticed that it really does depend upon the sport. Take Dressage, for example, vs Ice Hockey. Or Lacrosse vs Football. Or Gumanstics vs NASCAR.

;)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 06, 2011 18:37 |  #58

Channel One wrote in post #13505120 (external link)

Wayne

Funny you say this because for years, racing fans banged on Jeff Gordon precisely because he was from a part of the country where they use complete sentences and can be easily understood.

:lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 06, 2011 18:43 |  #59

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13505399 (external link)
Funny you say this because for years, racing fans banged on Jeff Gordon precisely because he was from a part of the country where they use complete sentences and can be easily understood.

:lol:

:D:D

Ahhhh...Jay. You will never become anaemic, my friend...not with all that iron-y in your blood! :cool:

Growing old disgracefully!

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2011 18:51 |  #60

S.Horton wrote in post #13505386 (external link)
Or Gumanstics vs NASCAR.
;)

Gumanstics, is that where ones shoes are stuck to the track? ;-)a

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Wayne

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links

5,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just photographers?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.