Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it just photographers?

Singularity96
79 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 06, 2011 19:10 |  #61

one thing i have noticed on a few forums is that the biggest know it alls always sign off every single post with "kind regards xxxx"

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 06, 2011 19:21 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

Really? I don't even know. You know what? Try to post a thread on the following topics:

"Can shooting primes restrict your creativity?"

"Why shooting zooms give you more creative power?"

"Why 7D is better than 1dmarkIII?"

"Carl Zeiss lens is over-rated."

"You aren't a photographer if you don't shoot film."

"Certified professional photographer."

"Digital photography has ruined the photography industry as a whole."

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2011 19:42 |  #63
bannedPermanent ban

How about...."What is the best XXXX for YYYY".

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 06, 2011 20:28 |  #64

It's interesting -- as has been noted, you really see the nasties come out in political forums.

And, one thing it's tough to do on a forum is to communicate any humor or positive disposition when engaged in a disagreement! I don't wade into that type of conversation here in POTN happily, but if it's a discussion that has some relevance to me, I'll speak up, although I try to express myself in a way that communicates a good nature, civility, and not a "side taking" "me vs you" mentality.

And then, the politics thing!

I do have a political point of view that reflects my personal values, so that in the "real world" (outside of POTN and other "neutral" venues) I do express myself.

But, like I said I try to do so with a good nature!

In fact, I've had discussions with people who have had the polar opposite position/opinions with me as far as politics, and even though I'll voice my thoughts clearly, I do so with a smile on my face, a friendly tone and with friendly gestures, and you know what? I get heard, I listen, and we end up as friends shaking hands instead of walking away in mutual disgust!

I use smilies here because I do like to interject some humor into the conversations here! But even then some folks don't catch the humor at times (especially when it's "dry" humor), oh well!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 07, 2011 00:32 |  #65

Singularity96 wrote in post #13505555 (external link)
one thing i have noticed on a few forums is that the biggest know it alls always sign off every single post with "kind regards xxxx"

I can only think of one member here (off the top of my head) who signs his posts that way - and he's generally one of the most knowledgeable, respectful, helpful and non-argumentative people on this board.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2011 14:14 |  #66

Veemac wrote in post #13506910 (external link)
I can only think of one member here (off the top of my head) who signs his posts that way - and he's generally one of the most knowledgeable, respectful, helpful and non-argumentative people on this board.

You beat me to it. I was going to say exactly the same thing.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,327 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 07, 2011 14:21 |  #67

Miki G wrote in post #13494003 (external link)
Thanks folks. I was expecting it to be across the board on the internet, but curiously, I found it to be more prevelant on photography forums that I visited lately. Thankfully 99.99% of people tend to be helpful.

Clearly you've never visited a religion or politics forum or Yahoo Answers. :)

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,327 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 07, 2011 14:27 as a reply to  @ post 13494118 |  #68

There is a certain self-policing aspect of this forum. I for one will call out someone whom I think has been rude or unhelpful. If it's really severe, I'll report the offending post to the moderators. I know that others feel the same way. It's not uncommon to see a newbie post an image for critique and then take rude offense when somebody, well, critiques it. You'll sometimes see a pile on from the regulars when that happens. It's direct and not usually a blistering argumentum ad hominum. The offender either straightens out or moves on.

Joe
Editing ok

skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 07, 2011 14:31 |  #69

i frequent 4 forums, this forum, and another forum with a sub-forum for photography are probably the best when it comes to trolling and people hating on one another. other forums like car forums, and paintball forums.. those guys are idiots.

subforums for sports, or music, forget it..

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,148 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2011 08:15 |  #70

I decided to post this here so as not to start a new thread. It has to do with being civil and honest.

Scenario. You have a few hundred members on a online photo contest. The members all vote on all the images. The scale is from 1 to 10, 10 being the best. If you vote under 5 you must click on another field explaining why - OOF, Poor Composition, Under/Over exposed, etc. All the members get to see how you voted on their image including the comments. What type of atmosphere do you think that would create?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 09, 2011 09:11 |  #71

Good, but you should do it on all the images...

Both good and bad.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,148 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2011 09:26 |  #72

You must be a member.

Image Editing OK

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,327 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2011 14:12 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #73

photo.net (external link) was somewhat like this. There were two systems, one for comments, another for just straight ratings, which could be anonymous. The system is corrupted in my opinion by making it a competition with a picture of the month or photographer of the month (or something similar). When I was posting on there, I'd have shots that for the most part had ratings of 5 or 6 out of 7. The weird thing was that there would be a small number of 1s and 2s in the mix. These were typically from anonymous users. I saw this happen to other good images that in no way deserved a 1 or a 2. I was convinced that some members anonymously gave low scores to those whom they viewed as competition in order to maximize their chances of gaining recognition. I was not the only one to voice this observation. I even entertained the notion that there could have been some robo-rating going on. I don't post to that site any more.

Joe
Editing ok

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 09, 2011 14:18 |  #74

^^^ Right On The Money ^^^

Gave up on that site pretty quick.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,148 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2011 15:13 |  #75

I joined this other place a few days ago and gave my honest opinion on the voting. First day voting yesterday and last night I got an insulting PM. You can't let other people know your vote especially in an open web forum. I was not aware people could see my votes.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

5,668 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it just photographers?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.