Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 04 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

First time as a second shooter yesterday..

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 04, 2011 17:57 |  #1

A forum member gave me the opportunity to go and shoot his brother's wedding with him. Here are a few pictures I got - what do you guys think?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3467.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3509.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3531.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3798.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3764.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3722.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3611.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3597.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

Portfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Autonomous
720 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 04, 2011 19:12 |  #2

while it's not bad, there's something about these pictures that attracts me as the audience in a good way, it looks clean, nice processing, but still inconsistent. i would say you did a very good job being that it was your first time doing this!
#2 would've been way so much better hadn't the champagne glass got in the way of the groom's face. #3, not really sure what's going on there, it seems all over the place and unnecessary.
i think it's best if you can avoid group shots, unless if you can get them to look at your camera or use a wide angle.

18-55IS, 28-105USM, 50 f/1.8, 60 f/2.8,
finally 70-200L f/4!!:cool:
never thought in a million i'd get me a 7D.bw!

MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 04, 2011 20:12 |  #3

I really like the last one. Not keen on the 6th one, too dim for my liking, id much prefer to see it with color clarity similar to 1st/4th image. White balance off on that one eh?

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:04 |  #4

Thanks, I appreciate the criticisms.

Autonomous wrote in post #13494977 (external link)
while it's not bad, there's something about these pictures that attracts me as the audience in a good way, it looks clean, nice processing, but still inconsistent. i would say you did a very good job being that it was your first time doing this!
#2 would've been way so much better hadn't the champagne glass got in the way of the groom's face. #3, not really sure what's going on there, it seems all over the place and unnecessary.
i think it's best if you can avoid group shots, unless if you can get them to look at your camera or use a wide angle.

Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:05 |  #5

Yeah, I agree. The WB is off a bit. I'll work on that one a bit. I processed these at like 1:30 in the morning after the wedding. I really wanted to see what I had.

All in all, I thought it went pretty well. I definitely need to work on my indoor strobe and on camera flash skills. But, for a guy who has been shooting a DSLR for a month - I'm happy!

MesserschmittMan wrote in post #13495281 (external link)
I really like the last one. Not keen on the 6th one, too dim for my liking, id much prefer to see it with color clarity similar to 1st/4th image. White balance off on that one eh?

Flickr (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:13 |  #6

I like 7 and 8

2 is too busy, glass blocking grooms face and picture is crooked
6 part of no parking sign is a distraction

5 is really nice too

the exposure on all look a tad off. the colours do not seem vibrant...washed out a bit

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:15 |  #7

must have been a blast to go shoot eh>
very cool of the forum member inviting you.

how'd you fell doing it?

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:33 |  #8

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13497249 (external link)
I like 7 and 8

2 is too busy, glass blocking grooms face and picture is crooked
6 part of no parking sign is a distraction

5 is really nice too

the exposure on all look a tad off. the colours do not seem vibrant...washed out a bit

I like a low contrast, slightly washed aesthetic. My exposures for the most part were pretty spot on all day. I'm just not a huge fan right now of big, vibrant colors and high contrast. I was definitely going for this look in post.

Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 05, 2011 08:37 |  #9

It was a lot of fun. I learned a lot too. It was slightly nerve wracking, but that feeling kind of disappeared after a while. Reception shooting (indoors at least) is pretty tricky. The rest of the day was a blast. The wedding party was great - really fun people.

We both attended the same art school a couple years apart. I'm new to serious photography, but I was well schooled in composition, color theory and everything else that you would expect to be part of a top art school education. Its mostly getting used to the fundamentals and equipment familiarity, and the art of post processing.

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13497252 (external link)
must have been a blast to go shoot eh>
very cool of the forum member inviting you.

how'd you fell doing it?

Flickr (external link)

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2011 09:39 |  #10

These are all a little blue/cyan, which makes them terribly unflattering. I know that there is a big push right now for faded / washed out look and that's fine.

However, my advice for someone just starting out is to simply learn to shoot and post process with REAL colors. Not overly saturated, or faded/washed out. Just learn your medium first. Real contrast, real color. Then after you've gotten the hang of a lot of the other stuff, you can begin to play with your post. Otherwise, you post images like these and you get all kinds of comments about your post processing when what you need to be working on are the images themselves. Yes, I know, post is a part of the process, but you've got to get it IN CAMERA first, or you don't have much. If everyone would learn to shoot, and not think: "Oh, I'll just fix that later" we'd have a lot more talented/trained photographers. <sorry, stepping off the soapbox>

You may be well 'schooled', but I think you'll find actual shooting a far greater school than ANY you have attended. You learn to swim rather well in the shark tank, don't you? ;)

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 08, 2011 09:53 |  #11

I'm not really sure that I follow you here. You're saying that I don't understand color?

Its a little like making an argument that modern or abstract artists should learn the basics, like figure drawing or color theory. Well, in most cases, they have, and they make choices based on what they want their work to look like, feel like, and express.

Which is exactly what I chose to do. I developed them exactly as I wanted to see them. You can express a desire to see them differently, but the bottom line is that I chose to apply that sort of processing. It doesn't mean that I don't understand color and it doesn't mean that I decided to 'fix it in post'. That's really a big assumption.

I appreciate you taking the time to post.

collierportraits wrote in post #13513216 (external link)
These are all a little blue/cyan, which makes them terribly unflattering. I know that there is a big push right now for faded / washed out look and that's fine.

However, my advice for someone just starting out is to simply learn to shoot and post process with REAL colors. Not overly saturated, or faded/washed out. Just learn your medium first. Real contrast, real color. Then after you've gotten the hang of a lot of the other stuff, you can begin to play with your post. Otherwise, you post images like these and you get all kinds of comments about your post processing when what you need to be working on are the images themselves. Yes, I know, post is a part of the process, but you've got to get it IN CAMERA first, or you don't have much. If everyone would learn to shoot, and not think: "Oh, I'll just fix that later" we'd have a lot more talented/trained photographers. <sorry, stepping off the soapbox>

You may be well 'schooled', but I think you'll find actual shooting a far greater school than ANY you have attended. You learn to swim rather well in the shark tank, don't you? ;)

Flickr (external link)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 08, 2011 09:58 as a reply to  @ Seventeen Nineteen's post |  #12

Here is an example of my SOOC raw file vs. my processed file to achieve a look that I wanted. Subjective? Yes.

My processed photo:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3461.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

My unedited, SOOC raw file. Does it work? Maybe. Was it what I wanted? No, not really. My job, as I see it, is to interpret a scene with my artistic aesthetic. I'll leave capturing reality exactly as it is to the point and shoot crowd.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3461-2.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 08, 2011 10:04 |  #13

I'm not really sure why you asked "what do you guys think?"

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

digidiva
Goldmember
2,002 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 08, 2011 10:10 |  #14

You may see or wish to interpret your images a certain way, however your processing makes the bridal gown appear blue. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Pretty sure if the bride wanted a blue dress she would have bought one.

BUYING A CANON DOESN'T MAKE YOU A PHOTOGRAPHER, IT MAKES YOU A CANON OWNER.

POST HOC, ERGO PROPTER HOC

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 08, 2011 10:13 |  #15

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13513318 (external link)
I'm not really sure why you asked "what do you guys think?"

I appreciate criticism and it makes me think and evaluate my choices. But I don't necessarily need to be accused of something like not understanding color or waiting around to get things right in post. That's not a criticism, its an accusation. And an unfair one at that.

People have given me some valuable things to think about, like that annoying red light in the limo, for one. Or watching my horizon lines, or my crop choices, etc.

I think people don't understand what criticism is and how it should be applied: the act or art of analyzing and evaluating or judging the quality of a literary or artistic work, musical performance, art exhibit, dramatic production, etc.

Your job as a critic is to judge the work based on what you're presented, and not to question whether or not the artist knows how to use the medium or understand the tools. There's just no point in doing that.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

7,827 views & 0 likes for this thread, 15 members have posted to it.
First time as a second shooter yesterday..
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.