Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Dec 2011 (Monday) 03:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CPL on ....

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2011 03:42 |  #1

For those who guys have 70-200 L (any version), do you guys use CPL on it? Or just a normal UV filter? I just want to know what filter to buy. :)

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sponsored links
argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2011 06:41 |  #2

nub4sh wrote in post #13496743 (external link)
For those who guys have 70-200 L (any version), do you guys use CPL on it? Or just a normal UV filter? I just want to know what filter to buy. :)

First question is, what makes you think that you need a filter? When you have that figured out, you'll know what to buy. Don't buy one just to buy one.

I use a CPL only when its needed...its not something you want to keep on your lens 100% of the time due to the amount of light loss (about 1-1/2 to 2-stops, depending on the brand). As far as UV filters go...I'll only use one if the conditions require me to do so (blowing dirt, dust, rain, for example), as long as I'm not using a creative filter (CPL or ND) at the time.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,392 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 05, 2011 06:46 |  #3

do you guys use CPL on it? Or just a normal UV filter?

Second question: Do you realize that these filters are for entirely different purposes?

A CPL is used to remove reflections from glass, water, and other surfaces and also tp deepen the blue sky for more cloud to sky separation.

A UV filter reduces UV rays striking the sensor. At one time this may have been useful for film but today the digital cameras have a low-pass UV filter over the sensor.

Some feel the UV filter helps to protect the lens - and this may be true in a blowing sand desert or beach location, otherwise just go with the hood to protect the lens.

When you do decide to get a filter be sure to NOT skimp and go cheap as you do get what you pay for.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2011 06:47 |  #4

I use a CPL on all my lenses when its needed for effect,other than that no filters just the lens hood.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2011 08:16 |  #5

Thank you guys for your feedback.

Maybe all i wanted is to protect the front element of the lens from accidental bumps, scratches or whatnot. I know CPL has its own purposes and UV filters as well and they are expensive. Would it be a bad idea to put a filter on to protect the front element aside from the hood itself?

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 05, 2011 09:31 |  #6

nub4sh wrote in post #13497257 (external link)
Thank you guys for your feedback.

Maybe all i wanted is to protect the front element of the lens from accidental bumps, scratches or whatnot. I know CPL has its own purposes and UV filters as well and they are expensive. Would it be a bad idea to put a filter on to protect the front element aside from the hood itself?

That is a question that has been debated for a long time. If you want to spend money on a uv filter to "protect" the protect element then go for it. Really it's debatable if a uv filter will actually protect the front element unless you're some place where there is blowing sand or salt water.

The front element coating makes it a lot tougher then a uv filter. Some people have smashed filters and said it saved there lens. Other have smashed filter and it did nothing more then screw up the lenes filter threads.

Personally I have used uv filters and find no purpose for them any more.

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2011 14:42 |  #7

I only use a CPL when the situation deems so, as for UV filters pretty much most of my lenses have one on. Then again I use my tshirt to clean the filter as a lot of what I have done is not in the best of environments. Although the past few lenses I've purchased are still naked aside from the occasional colored filter.

Christian.

BroncoAZ
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 05, 2011 19:16 |  #8

I use the B+W MRC UV filters on all of my lenses. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather scratch the filter than the front element if I accidently clean with the wrong cloth or get a piece of sand/grit on it. I live in the desert and frequent the beaches of the east and west coasts. I use a CPL as conditions and shots dictate, I have only one in 67mm that fits both my 70-200 and 17-85mm. I will have to buy another for my recently ordered 17-55 f/2.8 lens.

Canon 60D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, Canon 10-22mm, Canon Extender EF 1.4x II, Canon 430EX II, B+W MRC filters, Pelican 1450 with dividers, Think Tank Digital Holster 10V2, 2011 Macbook Pro 15" i7 2.0 GHz 8GB RAM, Canon D10

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 05, 2011 19:21 |  #9

No filter. :-)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …inger/Sports/Re​mote04.jpg (external link)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 05, 2011 19:43 |  #10

B+W MRC UVs on everything that takes filters. B+W CPLs for all when I use a polarizer. High winds, propwash (same thing, really), undergrowth, and small animals all give me reasons to consider lens hoods inadequate.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2011 09:03 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

After doing plenty of reading on the subject, and seeing examples of the picture quality dropoff. I have been convinced that i'm better off without a filter for protection purposes. I'd rather take the greater possibilty of scratching my front element, than having all my pictures degraded. Some filters are better than others, with some showing so little degradation that it's hard to tell, regardless of this, i'm more than willing to take the chance without one. I have decided to take the attitude that if I mess up a front element because i didn't put a piece of glass in front, so be it.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 06, 2011 09:21 |  #12

Age-old debate as to use a UV filter or not for protection. As for me? No UV filter on the front, but I always use a hood. I shoot in some very unforgiving environments and have not had a problem yet. My glass is squeaky clean and 100% scratch free.

Bryan

My Gear List

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 06, 2011 12:33 |  #13

When I need a CPL on my 70-200 I certainly do use it. I use the B+W MRC F-Pro KSM CPL.

And PLEASE do a search or read the stick on using UV filters. Its a topic that has been ridiculously well talked about and any possible question you could come up with has been answered over and over again. Id hate to see another debate on the matter. It simply comes down to a matter of preference and nothing more.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2011 06:07 |  #14

ben_r_ wrote in post #13503830 (external link)
Id hate to see another debate on the matter. It simply comes down to a matter of preference and nothing more.

Second that. :cool:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
CPL on ....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.