Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 00:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help with a printing problem

Buckeye88
27 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 07, 2011 00:40 |  #1

I’ve been struggling to get decent prints out of my HP Photosmart c309 off and on for a year now (mostly off due to frustration), and finally decided to ask for help. Help! My prints all have a horrible color cast to them!

My environment is an HP Pavilion laptop (dv4) running Vista. The laptop display is not calibrated or profiled. I use DPP and sometimes Gimp for editing. My photos on screen look okay, especially after I do custom white balancing. I’m making 4x6 prints using HP Advanced Photo Paper. I just want the prints to come *close* to the display (and real life). I’m not after ultimate print quality; but I should be able to get something decent from this setup. I’ve been through most of Rene’s links, searched many threads in this forum, and visited a variety of other sites trying to educate myself on color management. It’s much tougher than I ever imagined. :(

Based on all the test images, my display can’t be that far off. I can see all the shades of black and shades of white in all the test images. Easily. The gray blocks all look neutral. I downloaded the test image from this site (external link)(http://www.jirvana.com …rEvaluationImag​e_V002.zip (external link)) and it looks fine on screen. When I print it, it actually looks very good. Much better than my prints. There’s just a slight orange cast to it compared to the display. I’d be thrilled if prints of my photos matched as closely.

For a long time the prints of my photos had a terrible yellowish cast to them, from whatever application I used to print – DPP, ZoomBrowser, Gimp, Windows Photo Gallery… The paper type is chosen correctly, there are printer .icc files loaded, and the Color management was set to ColorSmart/sRGB.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

After a bunch of reading, I decided to try having DPP do the color management of the print. I switched from ColorSmart/sRGB to “Application Managed Colors” in the printer dialog and changed the Printing Profile in the Color Management tab of DPP Preferences.

HOSTED PHOTO

Much better! Now the sickly yellow cast is gone, but it’s been replaced by a not-as-severe orange cast. Still not acceptable though. Also, I just figured out how to use Gimp to soft proof pictures using that same printer profile. It really doesn’t make that big of a difference when I toggle the "Color Proof" Color Display Filter though.

Btw, I sent some of the photos to a local Meijer as a check during the “yellow phase.” They had the same yellow cast. Of course when I looked behind the counter they were also using an HP PhotoSmart printer – just a bigger one. :)

For some example photos, look in this thread https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1119414.

I’ve had the Spyder3 Pro in and out of my Amazon cart several times; but if I don’t have to spend that $120 I’d be happier. Again, I’m not looking for ultimate professional results; but I don’t want to be embarrassed when showing prints of my photos either. If I’m going to get crappy results when sending them out I need to know what to change too.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help. These forums are such a tremendous resource.

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2011 04:48 |  #2

Buckeye88,

Sounds as though your laptop is the weak link. Try printing a test image without manipulating the image for white balance or anything else and see how the printer copes. My first guess is that the orange/yellow cast is something you have unwittingly introduced yourself.

Yes, colour management can seem like a minefield at first, but keep reading all the info you can and eventually it will begin to start slotting into place.

One thing. You have checked to see that your printer is printing correctly? I use an Epson, and regularly run quicky nozzle check prints that give me a small chequerboard pattern from each of the eight inks to make sure everything is clear.

Good luck.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2011 05:23 |  #3

The images in that thread are a bit on the warm side…

Also, you have set your monitor profile in DPP as "sRGB", which it isn't. Even if you didn't calibrate, Vista probably uses something else as monitor profile. Try setting that in DPP and see how images look in DPP then (the prints should not come out any different, but DPP will show the images somewhat closer to the print hopefully)

I'm assuming the printer profile is the correct profile for the paper you're using.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2011 12:22 |  #4

Rene is perfectly right, I missed that on my first look. Your monitor profile IS NOT the colour space you are using, it's a special piece of software designed for your monitor only.

I happen to use Abobe RGB rather than sRGB when I print, but I have a unique monitor profile that slots into that spot even so.

Richard

Buckeye88
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 07, 2011 21:50 |  #5

René Damkot wrote in post #13507474 (external link)
The images in that thread are a bit on the warm side…

Well rats. That’s one reason I started the other thread – to find out if my WB work was correct. You were the first to give me the feedback I (sort of) wanted. By basing WB on a white sticker on a white bib in those photos (and not on how things looked on screen) I was hoping my display was removed from the equation. That it looked okay on my display was a bonus. (It looked the same on another laptop too.) I think my next move is to get a white balance card, something I should have done long ago, and run some more controlled tests.

René Damkot wrote in post #13507474 (external link)
Also, you have set your monitor profile in DPP as "sRGB", which it isn't. Even if you didn't calibrate, Vista probably uses something else as monitor profile. Try setting that in DPP and see how images look in DPP then (the prints should not come out any different, but DPP will show the images somewhat closer to the print hopefully)

I'm assuming the printer profile is the correct profile for the paper you're using.

Here are my profile choices. The only other profile that makes any sense is Adobe RGB. When I selected it in DPP, the display looked even further from the print. Much *less* warm!

HOSTED PHOTO

Here's everything in that folder:

HOSTED PHOTO

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2011 02:49 |  #6

My suggestion as a temporary fix would be to approach the laptop manufacturer and ask them what profile they use.

I know that Samsung have a profile for my monitor because when I browse the same folder that you have copied above it shows up. I actually use a profile made by my eye-one display 2 monitor calibration kit, but thats solving your issue right now even though its probably the best long term solution to your problem.

Certainly, sRGB or aRGB are always going to make the problem far worse because they are not profiles.

Richard

sponsored links

647 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help with a printing problem
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.