Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 03:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold my 85 1.2L for 85 1.8 :-)

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 10, 2011 13:22 as a reply to  @ post 13523280 |  #16

I just picked up a 85 1.8 again for dirt cheep. I had forgotten just how fast it focuses. I sold the first one because I did not use it much on my 50D and it had purple fringing that I thought was too much. Now that I have it again and on FF I can hardly believe how good it is for the cost. This one also has less purple fringing along me understanding more about how to minimize it.

So often here we all talk each other into spending piles of money on gear that (lets be honest here) many don't need and rarely will ever use. Because we think without it hoy cant take good pictures. In the 85 1.8 thread there of plenty of pictures that are killer and taken with under 1k of gear.

I picked up the 85 1.8 again because it was cheep not because I was driven with desire to have it again. That is too bad because it is an unbelievable bargain. I own the 70-200MKII as well but if you need a great, cheap portrait lens that is small and light look no further the 85 1.8 is it.

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 10, 2011 13:23 |  #17

It all depends upon how you define "better".

For some of us, faster focus, small size, lighter weight, more unobtrusiveness all add up to versatility... and that's likely going to be the f1.8 lens.

For others, the special look of a really big aperture lens is an overriding consideration, in which case the f1.2 would be the choice.

Out shooting in the street and/or more amateur models typically, sometimes wanting to use it for sports or other types of action shooting... the 85/1.8 works better for me... and its price is more what I'm willing to pay.

For others, perhaps a wedding photog, there's just no substitute for the 85/1.2L and the price is well worth it.

Somewhere in the middle on this? Maybe the Sigma 85/1.4 would be a better choice.

Need to do macro more than portraits? Maybe you should be getting the Tamron 90/2.8 or the Canon 90mm Tilt-Shift.

Does your work lend itself to manual focus? If so, depending upon your budget, a Zeiss (at one end of the price spectrum) or a Rokinon/Bower/Vivitar (a the other end) might be ideal for you.

Hey! Ain't it great to have a choice?

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 13, 2011 00:55 |  #18

I cringed when I read the title of this thread...

Bryan

My Gear List

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 13, 2011 01:05 |  #19

bps wrote in post #13536521 (external link)
I cringed when I read the title of this thread...

Bryan

I laughed out loud when I read the second paragraph of post #7.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 13, 2011 01:32 |  #20

There is a significant pool of 85L's at any given moment and there is reason for that. I bought mine from a female professional photographer from Georgia and sold it 9 months later. The 85/1.8 is a nice lens for a nice price.

Bokehlicious
809 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 01:33 |  #21

Treason.

sponsored links

2,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold my 85 1.2L for 85 1.8 :-)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.